PDA

View Full Version : New Names

Faris_the_guy
04-12-2003, 04:52 PM
I was looking at FFOriggins and found out mostly everyone has a new name.

Frion-Firion
Guy-Gus
Lion-Leon
Minh-Mindu
Phin-Fynn
(and then there's the monsters. BUt I can't name them all).

MJN SEFEIR
04-12-2003, 08:42 PM
well

Frion-Firion

well in the origanal game (and when I say origanal I mean the one that they made BEFORE they sell it) his name was "Frioniel" but the last 3 letters were dropped to keep up with the 5 letter rule in my opinion all three names suck!

Guy-Gus

I have know explanaition for how this happend I only gonna say 1 thing WOOSELY!

Minh-Mindu

well origanly he was "Minu" so Mindu is the most acurate

Lion-Leon

Maybe woosely thought it would be fun to do a Squall refrence in the remake!

Phin-Fynn

I'm pretty sure theyl be pronounced the same way but i still find it pointless

I make games my self and I certainly don't plan on selling a game only to remake it with the names changed (unless it's cencorship)

FF5 and FF6 are full of them

Ok I understand Butz (Butts) becoming Bartz that's censorship

but Lock = Loke and Sarisa = Salsa!

BIG Mistake!

Super Christ
04-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Considering that what likely all of us have used to play FF2 so far is a fan translated ROM, I'd honestly be *very* suprised if the names and dialogue in Origins was similar to the ROM. Keep in mind, that usually when two different people translate the same thing in a language as different from English as Japanese, you're going to get differences in things like wording, and spelling in names rendered in the other language. Just like there's several different spellings for the names of many anime characters.

Originally posted by MJN SEFEIR
well in the origanal game (and when I say origanal I mean the one that they made BEFORE they sell it) his name was "Frioniel" but the last 3 letters were dropped to keep up with the 5 letter rule in my opinion all three names suck!
I have know explanaition for how this happend I only gonna say 1 thing WOOSELY!
Maybe woosely thought it would be fun to do a Squall refrence in the remake!
The 5 letter rule is because, based on my understanding of Japanese writing (which I will admit, is sketchy at best so I could very well be wrong) 5 letters is more than enough for a name because each character represents a full syllable. If your name is more than 5 characters long you've got one hell of a long name. Whatever the actual case may be, there was a 5 character limit in the japanese version. That means that the fans that translated the ROM had to stick with a limit of 5 characters, as they were only translating the game and they'd probably have to change around a lot of the coding to make the longer names fit everywhere they have to. I'm no programmer, but I imagine that's a bother they didn't want to have to deal with.

Therefore you get shortened names, like Frionl, and Lion - their full names were actually Frionel, and Lionheart. (BTW, Leon is *not* a reference to Squall, rather Squall's name is a reference to Lionheart. Keep in mind which game came out first.)

As for the Woosely comments, I'm pretty damn sure that he has had absolutely nothing to do with any Squaresoft translations since Chrono Trigger. Meaning that he didn't have any hand in the translations of Chrono Cross, or FF 7, 8, 9, or 10, and certainly no hand in the translation of 2 and the retranslation of 1.

Again, keep in mind the possible differences in spelling names when you translate names from japanese. This is not a re-release just with different names. This is the FIRST time FF2 has been released outside of Japan. Everything else you've seen is fan-translated.

Faris_the_guy
04-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Pretty interresting.

Now,if anyone knows the name changes in FF1 and others in FF2(including the monsters)tell me.:tongue:

DJZen
04-13-2003, 12:46 AM
A few notes......

In the original version of FF2, Frioniel's name WAS written as Frioniel.... transliterated as well as can be done in Japanese....

Fu-ryo-ni-e-ru

As for Leon's original name.... It was actually Lionheart.

Re-o-n-ha-to

As for Mindu, Demiforce named him "Minh" although his original Japanese name was spelled

Mi-n-u-u which I've seen translated as "Ming Wu". I have no idea what Amano named him, can anyone find out?

BobDarkavenger
04-13-2003, 01:31 AM
Guy is such a better name than Gus though.

DJZen
04-13-2003, 01:56 AM
no argument

Faris_the_guy
04-13-2003, 06:31 PM
I found some new name at the thread called "FF: Origins translations".

MJN SEFEIR
04-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Leon is *not* a reference to Squall, rather Squall's name is a reference to Lionheart. Keep in mind which game came out first

yes I know what came first I ment Woosely (or who ever else as you stated he was not there) desided to reference him in the remake REMAKE

as you may or may not know Cloud appears in the Anthology version of Final fantasy 5!

DocFrance
04-17-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by MJN SEFEIR
yes I know what came first I ment Woosely (or who ever else as you stated he was not there) desided to reference him in the remake REMAKE
There's not much of a difference between Lion- and Leon- if you ask me. I doubt they're trying to reference Squall when they thought of changing it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Squall's name Leon in his cameo in KH?

Originally posted by MJN SEFEIR as you may or may not know Cloud appears in the Anthology version of Final fantasy 5!
So what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Besides, he only shows up on the "new game/continue" screen for a brief glimpse.

Psychotic
04-17-2003, 06:34 PM
*posts from other names thread:D*

This is all after my research(Ie completing the damned thing!)

Frioniel > Firion
Maria = same
Guy > Gus
Leonheart > Leon
Josef= Same
Ming-Wu - Mindu
Richard > Gareth
Raila > Leila
Atlea > Altair
Phin > Fynn
Dist > Deist

DJZen
04-18-2003, 08:46 PM
I understand why they shortened Lionheart's name, it wouldn't have fit in the 6 character allowance, and "Lynhrt" would just look BAAAAAAD. As for what was a reference to what..............

FF2 - Lionheart was a character
FF8 - Squall's last name was Leonhart (which would be pretty much the same thing in Japanese)
Kingdom Hearts - Squall felt ashamed of himself and changed his name to Leon
FF2 (FFO remake) - Lionheart's name was truncated to Leon

Just so you know, Leon is a cognate of Lion, the two have the same meaning. The name "Leonard" comes from "Leonardo" which means "leonine" AFAIK. Then again, in reflection, it could be a Germanic thing, since "Leonhart" means "Lionheart" if I recall correctly, and "Leonardo" sounds like it could be a cognate of "Leonhart".