PDA

View Full Version : Limit Breaks in the opening FMV

skatehippie
04-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Hey everybody,

for the FFVIII elite, this has probably already been noticed, but since my little brother had not caught on to this I figured I'd post it for those who also haven't noticed this, which I find to be pretty cool...

Now, first, let me propose a theory that everything in VIII can somehow be "translated" to real life. Well...except for magic spells, I don't think we've mastered these yet in the 21st century...

What I mean is, in the battle during Squall and Seifer in the intro, they each use their "default" limit breaks. It's barely noticeable, because obviously the "Rough Divide" in real life would not involve you jumping 50 feet into the air as a timed explosion erupts from the ground. In the intro, Seifer uses a fire spell, followed by a sort of downward slash...this is a much more life-like version of his "Fire Cross" attack. A weakened Squall then retaliates with his blade dragging on the ground for a moment (like in the Rough Divide) and delivers an upward attack to Seifer.

I found this to be pretty cool, because you can really see how the techniques and attacks used in the gameplay of VIII can somehow be related to real life...except for magic of course.

LovesRinoa
04-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Thats cool. I never really noticed that.

Big D
04-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Yup... Limit Breaks are really just 'desperation attacks' made by the characters when their situation is critical. Kind of like the 'adrenaline kick' you get when things are looking dodgy... Seifer can create psychokinetic fireballs, Squall can release his pent-up pain and anger in a particularly brutal, fast assault. We also get to see Edea's Ice Strike at the end of disc one.

It would've been nice to see some magic spells in FMV ... besides Edea's 'protect' spell of course. 'Ultima' would look especially neat. Now that I think of it... you can see a lot of Fire and Blizzard spells being cast during the fighting between Balamb Garden and Galbadia Garden. The FMV where Rinoa and Squall are running to the left of the screen, heading for the entrance... there's plenty of action - both physical and magical - going on in the background there.

skatehippie
04-14-2003, 12:46 AM
Ah, yes! I remember that part too. All kinds of combat can be spotted, including magic...I remember being impressed by the whole scene but never took too much notice to it.

Kimera 726
04-14-2003, 01:45 AM
Hey that's pretty interesting. I knew about the Fire Cross and Ice Strike, but didn't know about Protect, Rough Divide, and those magic spells in the background. I thought it was machine gun fire. Wow, all the more reason to say FF8 kicks arse.

Big D
04-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Well, I'm not sure if it actually is the 'Protect' spell exactly, but when Edea deflects Irvine's bullet, the barrier is almost identical to a 'Protect' spell as used in battle.

Besimudo
04-16-2003, 01:20 AM
It sure looks like protect, but a cynic would say that edea should take 1/3 damage...but then again Irvine did intentionally miss. I thought it was very good how squalls 1st limit break relates to the opening scene.

When I first saw it it seemed like the witches of Macbeth; were Macbeth reiterates the prophetic :'fair and foul" just before meeting them. if you remember the witches in scene one also use the same linguistic tense.
FF8 does the same thing through actions rather than words, now you can correctly say that i am going too deep. But the proof is in the pudding and its more founded than the many (squall is not as nice as cloud type posts)....

PhoenixAsh
04-16-2003, 08:50 PM
*Waits patiently for Besimudo not to mention something he's read in comparison to FFVIII*

In the meantime, why do you think Irvine intentionally missed? Unless he was aiming to go through a hole in Edea's head it looked like a kill shot to me.

Rye
04-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Yeah, you even heard Squall... "That was a perfect shot..."

That is cool to see magic in FMV. I liked Yuna's magic in FFX being in FMV. I would have liked to see Rinoa's socceress powers in FMV

ChibiInuYasha
04-16-2003, 10:57 PM
me and my friend were just saying the other day how there should be more FMV battles, not like this sin battles in FFX but actual "fights" this is why FFVIII's opening is my fav.

ThE dArK oNe
04-16-2003, 11:30 PM
When I first saw it it seemed like the witches of Macbeth; were Macbeth reiterates the prophetic :'fair and foul" just before meeting them. if you remember the witches in scene one also use the same linguistic tense.

Interesting... Another movie comparisen with FFVIII. Even if similar, you can't really say Square did the "same thing".

Yes, it was cool when I saw Seifer's in game limit break and thought: "Hey that's what he did in the intro!"

Starcrest
11-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Look what you guys did, you made me wanna watch the FMV of the two gardens fighting again to see the magic, but, I can't now. lol

Big D
11-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Glad we helped:)
But unfortunately, this thread has been inactive for months, so it should really stay that way.:(