PDA

View Full Version : did this ever happen to anyone? (SPOILERS ABOUND)

the tortured one
04-15-2003, 12:00 AM
ok, so i was in Walmart, I was happy with FF7, just got out of Midgar, and decided to flip through the official players guide (the white one)

then I saw it, hours before i was supposed to, a picture of Sephiroth stabbing Aeris. Perhaps one of the greatest plot twists of all time, and it got ruined due to this book. I was so angry. Then I bought the unofficial players guide by Brandyware and I was much more pleased with it. better maps, better enemy descriptions, and NO story spoilers! jeesh

did anyone else ever have a bad experience with something like this?

Enigma
04-15-2003, 01:31 AM
I bought the offical guide long before I got the game but no, I never happened to see the death of that certain pink dress wearing Cetra before the game.

zacks_clone
04-15-2003, 01:59 AM
hehehe.i did.i was reading a gamefaqs walkthrough for the game and read the whole thing.oopsie,bad me-.-;;.But,though i didnt know about aeris destruction befor,i did read on and did spoil the whole game in that sense,but when i played it,it still moved me and thrilled me.

sergeysephy
04-15-2003, 02:52 AM
no, but i hate the brady games one with a burning passion

it said that i could find final attack in chocobo square

do you have any idea of the hourse spent there????

turns out you get it in battle square

Calvin
04-15-2003, 04:45 PM
I sort of had this experience. I was watching my friend play the game and saw it happen. Although I wasn't there for a lot of the beginning, I was able to follow some of the plot. However, when I actually played it myself, I knew what was coming. I remember that both of us were amazing at what happened, but I don't think I felt what I normally would have, had I played it myself from the beginning......(did that make any sense?)

Loony BoB
04-15-2003, 05:19 PM
I used to get really annoyed at that sort of thing, but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. Sure, I'd rather find out myself - but to be honest, the bigger plot twist that really made FFVII what it is wasn't the death of Aeris - that could be spoiled to me without me caring - but the fact that Cloud was a Sephiroth clone guy thingy. Or something.

Rude
04-15-2003, 06:43 PM
I get pissed off at even the smallest things regarding spoilers. In the case of FF7 I had first bought the game and just went looking for random websites about it. I then read that Cait Sith was in reality a Shin-ra spy just after I got him in my party. I was really angry at knowing this spoiler and then never read anything more online about it until I beat the game.

I did the same thing with FFIX, and the experience was alot better because of it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-16-2003, 03:36 AM
Another reason the Versus Books FFVII guide is the best: it was written by someone who had been burned with spoilers when reading guides himself, so it goes out of its way to explain as little of the plot as possible and just give directions on gameplay, which is all a guide really ever needs to do.

Fortunately, the big publishers like BradyGames have begun to gradually reign in the spoilers in their guides. Buncha suckers.

DelightfulSpekkio442
04-17-2003, 03:36 PM
I had no clue. I never read anything before I played the game, and it was an absolutely incredible experience. When Aeris died I was shocked, enraged and saddened. It was also very interesting to unravel the intricate plot along with the characters.

~MJE~

muchacho
04-22-2003, 11:02 PM
that happend to me in a crap load of FF's for me.

ff7: biggest mistake, i watced my brother play through the whole game.
ff8: i watced my cousin beat the last boss ( doesnt really matter considering i was half asleep)
ff9: none
ff10: same as 7

Shoyku
04-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure a lot of people had Aeris' death spoiled for them. Considering it was plastered everywhere days after FFVII was released. Yeesh.

darkangel5681
04-23-2003, 03:41 AM
That was the only thing I hated about the Brady Game FF7 guide... it was LOADED with spoilers! I also read about Aeris' death before it happened in the game. :mad2: On the other hand, I liked their FF8 strategy guide better, mainly because it had no spoilers!

0neWingedAngel
04-23-2003, 01:16 PM
I owned to guide (brady) yet didn't feel the need to look through it, and the game was fabulous, i went back to beat it in multiple ways. (as you can tell, I really liked sephiroth) However i did look through the chrono cross guide and they did a good job not informing you *SPOILER* of when you switched bodies with linx, they mearly said something along the lines of "you're now playing as a new character" and that was all :D , I think they learned over time.

Bahmant zero
04-23-2003, 03:49 PM
i think aeris death was one of the most famous moments i gaming history, so its hard not to know it happens. A freind told me by accident so i played through the game knowing it was going to happen.

Storm
04-24-2003, 06:48 AM
One of my brother's friends attempted to spoil the game for me by telling me that Cloud was a clone (And yes, he was dead serious). What a moron. I cannot see how anybody could believe this after seeing the scene in the Lifestream with Tifa and Cloud.

Rude
04-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Him being a clone is only partially true. He wasn't born a clone was worked on in an attempt to make him a Sephiroth clone. So in a way, your friend was only partially right, but for the most part wrong :)

Storm
04-24-2003, 11:22 PM
He meant clone as in "Cloud was not born in a normal fashion". ;)

Fighter2knight
04-25-2003, 09:35 PM
The white one is good, but has some glitches. Flayer and Spirit Lance aren't listed, and it says you can only fight Ultimate WEAPON in Disk 3.

Eyece
04-26-2003, 04:31 AM
I never really gave a flying hump about ruining the game, I saw the ending to the game before I ever even played it. And the game was still just as great.

ZeZipster
04-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Well my sister did say some thing about it but I didn't think much of it, I thought she misread some thing or some thing. Either way it's expected, she's forced in to your party and then suddenly leaves.

zacks_clone
04-29-2003, 01:14 AM
i read through the whole ff7 walkthrough on game faqs,and went pic surfing.I read all the possable spoilers i could and found every picture of aerises death and the end of the game that i could.I WANTED it spoiled,yet,the ending and her death were just as moving as they would have been if the game wasnt spoiled