PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever use the white mage status magic?

Kimera 726
04-16-2003, 04:27 AM
I got this review from another forum many times that all the people who played FF9 need for the white mages is 6 things: Curaga, Life, Full-Life, Shell, Protect, and Holy. But has anybody really gone and used their status magics against the enemy for lengthy moments at a time?

I'm a little disappointed that there are no luck stats in ff9. Otherwise getting things like Blind, Silence, and Mini (much less Death and Break) to work wouldn't require on chance. Fortunately, I found that some abilities like Concentrate improve the chances. And the other thing I like the most is the ability to target multiple enemies at once, which I like a lot. You can really use it to your advantage. When I level up on the 3rd disk with those Vepals, I like to use a multitude of Blind, Silence, and Mini against them to severely cripple those fast ATB critters. If only the luck stats were visible and improvable, I'd use it a lot more than I usaully do: for leveling up.

HOOTERS
04-16-2003, 05:01 AM
In most of the the Final Fantasies I find that I rarely use status magic (FFX being the only exception because of the different battle system). I either forget about using them or when I come up against a tough enemy and think it might be useful, they generally don't work. So for example instead of casting dark/blind, I'll just cast safe on the party. Same with silence and shell, and slow and haste.

Big D
04-16-2003, 05:29 AM
Mini, I agree, is pretty useful at times. Grand Dragons and Chimeras are vulnerable to it, so it can really help. Unfortunately, it's seriously let down by the sheer likelihood of missing the target. In order to inflict white-magic status changes reliably, I perfer to use one of Zidane's abilities, Soul Blade I believe. Depending on which sword he's carrying, this ability can inflict Mini, Petrify, Silence, Darkness or many other abnormalities with near total accuracy.

m4tt
04-16-2003, 05:58 AM
I hardly ever used the Status magic of Garnet or Eiko. I never really saw a point to doing so.

Psychotic
04-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Does reflect count? no wait, I had auto-reflect.

But what IS the point in casting something like Beserk on the enemy anyway?

Rude
04-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Silence is extremely effective. I got it to work on several bosses, including Tiamat.

Yrkoon
05-14-2003, 03:03 AM
blind and iron giants = nice training :)

who can forget haste as well :)

Book
05-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Haste ownage :)