PDA

View Full Version : Squall under Rinoa's love spell? (Spoilers)

Cyan_Lightning
04-17-2003, 02:58 PM
I can't remember where exactly, but I read about a theory suggesting that Squall, after the final battle on Disk 2 became subject to Rinoa's love spell.

This theory, favoured most probably by those against the Squall/Rinoa relationship, and fanfiction writers who like to pair Squall with someone other than Rinoa, makes great sense.

Squall never seemed to warm to Rinoa much throughout the first two Disks, indeed, just a short time before the battle with Edea, when Rinoa was hanging from Garden, he was quite prepared to let her die, and saved her eventually only because he was waylaid by a distraught Cadet. Yet, but a short time later he is sitting by her unconscious form, distraught, and subsequently goes as far as abandoning his duty as Commander and leader of Garden to take her to Esthar. An action very unlike Squall.

There is a huge change in personality between these events, and this change happens at the time, coincidentially, when Rinoa recieves her Sorceress powers.

Just like Ultimecia/Matron was able to manipulate Seifer, causing him to act in ways he never normally would, it is possible Rinoa was able to, by use of her powers, force Squall into loving her.

If this was the case then Rinoa's shaping of Squall's affections was most likely unintentional. Rinoa can't control her new abilities, scared she thinks of the one person who's always saved her before, and wishes him to care for and protect her. This desire could have caused the 'love spell' in question.

Of course, it could be argued that when Rinoa slipped into a coma, Squall finally realised what he was losing, but again this seems rather OOC considering just a short time earlier he was prepared to let her die.

As I said at the beginning it is an interesting theory, and, though I remain neutral, I'd like to know other people's opinions on this.

Rye
04-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Good Topic! ^.^ Umm... I agree with what you said how Squall realised what he was loosing. If you notice, Squall always sorta liked Rinoa.

As for the part when Rinoa was hanging, I think Squall really wanted to save her, but was afriad what the rest of the garden would think. After all he was the leader. Notice how he said to Zell "Do whatever it takes!" He cares ^.^

Also notice how when Edea was talking about Socceress Ultimecia, he was talking about how he felt when Rinoa first layed eyes on him, at the party. H esaid he felt "Tranquil" I think he always liked her but never wanted to express it ^.^

kali
04-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Lovespell?

i thought he always liked Rinoa...but was too afraid to open up to her..

Plus...he wasn't prepared to let her die...he just couldn't abandon his post for one person.....

Rye
04-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Yup, I think the same thing ^.^

I don't even think that Socceresses have the power of Love Spells

Heres a bunch of things socceresses can do (I got this of http://rinoa.nu/rinoa/ )

Witches have many supernatural abilities, because of this they are considered a threat. They can use telekinesis to move anything, including people like dolls, move objects and space at the molecular level, and easily brainwash people at a subconscious level to do whatever they want. They also have the ability to junction each other and drain the other's strength. This is seen when Rinoa is junctioned to Adel.

Ultimicia brainwashed Rinoa, Edea threw Rinoa around, and Adel junctioned Rinoa to her self. (poor rinoa!)

Cyan_Lightning
04-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Its always interesting to hear others' perspectives, either way it is a theory that opens up a lot of possibilities.

They can use telekinesis to move anything, including people like dolls, move objects and space at the molecular level, and easily brainwash people at a subconscious level to do whatever they want
A thought-provoking quote RikkuYuna89, though if they can brainwash people they could, in theory, make a person fall in love with them.

Plus...he wasn't prepared to let her die...he just couldn't abandon his post for one person.....
Perhaps, but he chose, in D-District Prison to double back and save Zell, subsequently risking himself, Quistis and Selphie and the chance of escape. So Squall is happy to risk the safety of others for one person, as displayed in the above example, but seemingly not for Rinoa prior to her acquisition of the Sorceress power.

The 'love spell' theory cannot be proven or disproven, but it is a nice help for writers of non-Squinoa fanfiction. :)

Rye
04-17-2003, 07:34 PM
A thought-provoking quote RikkuYuna89, though if they can brainwash people they could, in theory, make a person fall in love with them.

But notice it says at a "Sub-Consious Level" That's like how Rinoa was when she opened Adel Tomb, like she was sleep-walking.

PhoenixAsh
04-17-2003, 11:05 PM
I would have though Seifer was at least slightly under control, I mean even he would recognise that what Ultimecia was doing was wrong. He'd just be easy to manipulate because of his dream.

Rye
04-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Yup! His "Romantic" dream! He was manipulated because he didn't want to be a "boy". He wanted be a man!