PDA

View Full Version : Magic in the real world

Dazlar Bynon
04-17-2003, 06:43 PM
1. Do you think that magic is possible (or exists) in this world? If so, how would it work (or not work) ?

2. What do you think would happen if magic came into this world on an active basis from one moment to the other?

Zifnab
04-17-2003, 06:53 PM
1. Not really, though there is many things that cannot be explained.

2. I think the world would be a much worse place, if you're refering to FFVIII's magic. People would either get more lazy than they are now, or become more corruped, being able to commit mass murder with 'blizzaga' or whatever.

A rather depressing way of looking at it I know :P

Dazlar Bynon
04-17-2003, 07:28 PM
1. Not as in FFVIII or any similar game. But I think that there is energy that can be channeled to perform minor abilities... :mad:

2. It would most likely start with total chaos, followed by minor factions that follow good and others that follow evil and ofcource balance-factions. The governments will want to control the use. WWIII will eventually arise, if humanity survives all of this, whitch I honestly doubt.

THE HUMAN RACE IS NOT WORTHY OF SUCH POWER AND WILL DESTROY ITSELF OR BE DESTROYED

Big D
04-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Virtually all 'magic' could work as result of fine-tuned psychokinesis. Fire magic - psychokinetically 'excite' a cloud of air particles until they super-heat. Ice - condense and freeze atmospheric moisture in the same way. PK could be used to artificially generate static electricity - 'Bolt' spells, in other words.

Magic would be a pain in the behind in our world. Unregulated, uncontrollable destructive abilities - even worse than unrestricted firearms laws.

Rye
04-18-2003, 01:54 AM
I think that magic is possible. I read somewhere that we only use about 30% of our brain. If we could use more, the article said we could do many super-natural things like Tele-Kenesis!

I don't think we can handle magic just yet, unless we use curing magic only! ^.^

Kimera 726
04-18-2003, 02:32 AM
careful, rikkuyuna89. Accelerating the life span of blood cells and all that kinda stuff could lead to cancer. :O_O:

Magic is possible, if you were to say that we only use 30% of our brains. Big D is correct that the only plausible method of having magic in the real world would be to use psychokinesis to manipulate natural phenomenon. However, saying that we are ready to possess magic powers is just like saying we are ready for nuclear weapons (which we are not. i.e. Cuban Missile Crisis, overproduction, and the 24/7 nonsense of using nukes when you know you won't use'm).

Kami
04-18-2003, 04:21 AM
i think only some people should have magic. not everyone. yah know?:)

Dazlar Bynon
04-18-2003, 06:00 AM
30% I thought it was only an average of about 4%, 30% is almost 1/3 and we have a large brain, look at the 'T-Rexaur' brain that's tiny, only the outer part is used for storage. in FFVIII they will probably use about 30% with GF.

Mo-Nercy
04-18-2003, 06:49 AM
I don't think magic exists. But you never know right?

Yeah, I believe it is about 3-5% of our brains that we use. Not sure.

Dazlar Bynon
04-18-2003, 08:01 AM
If magic would become possible it probably allready is... And it would not be like "I have 72 fires, 36 cures and 1 ultima, how about you?" but more like "I use 76.3% of my brain". There might also be need to tap into energy (most likely by useing your brain).
The energy is all arround us and even inside us, it flows I can feel it, I've even been standing inside a nexus a couple of times (that's where energy flows meet/cross), that feels so good. You don't have to believe me, hell I don't even mind if you think I'm a psycho wether or not in a world of psychos. I may just as well think of anyone as an ignorant person.
Who says it can't be true? GOT PROOF?

Prodigy
04-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Are you lot serious?

It's nice to let yourself go into fantasy worlds and imagine that there is "magic" but unfortunately there is no such thing.

PK is a load of rubbish. We don't use "1%" of our brain. We use MOST of it. Scientists have proven this. We simply don't know what the bits do.

If you look at it from the point of a physicist then you would understand that because of energy limitations you could not do what you are suggesting. Sorry guys. It's rubbish.

Big D
04-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Whoa, take it easy. I never said that psychokinesis is real, all I said is that it is a method by which 'magic' could work. If it were possible for people to move stuff with their minds, then it would be possible to create fireballs, lightning, and so forth. I do have an educational background in science, I understand the implausibility.

It's just that some people find it fun to speculate about what could be, or how fantastic concepts could apply in reality. That's what's great about fantasy - it stimulates the imagination.

Prodigy
04-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Fair enough, and I agree with you to a certain extent. The thing is that I like to keep it in my imagination or in a different reality and don't like to try and apply it to the real world. That's when the scientist in me takes over.

The problem with psychokenesis is that if you wanted to excite air particles you would obviously need to give them energy. Where would that energy come from? It has to come from somewhere and be in some form.

The only real options would be chemical energy in the brain that gets converted into some kind of electromagnetic waves. Theoretically it's plausible but it would mean that you'd need great reserves of chemicals in your brain - something which isn't there (at least afaik). The other option would be matter-energy transfer and as cool as it would be I don't think that the brain is a nuclear fusion reactor :)

Big D
04-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Indeed. In spite of its complexity - or perhaps because of it? - there's a relatively small amount of energy active in our brains at any given time.

But if something allowed the brain to convert or focus natural bodily energy into electromagnetism/ PK energy, then the possibilities would be nearly endless. It would be a physically and mentally exhausting process, though. However, as you pointed out, it's a physiological impossibility, so any speculation is fairly arbitrary and far-fetched.

Dazlar Bynon
04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree that our race hasn't nearly evolved far enough to be able to handle the tension that would come with it. The furthest we can come is an occasional glips of the future (or a possibility and mainly vague) This results in Déjà-Vûs, because you will not remember most of them or want to for that matter (exeptions are available). and some other minor stuff.

So what, you will most likely burn out and die young... It's the closest you could get to eternal youth. It's better then eternal life!

Eternal = forever
forever in a human life is until death.
if you live forever you'll keep growing older and older and older... I don't call that living!

We indeed use most of our brains, that means there's brain-activity everywhere, but the main reason for that is that it's alive, except for those millions of braincells we drown in gallons of alcohol. *hic* So we only use about 4% efficiently.

:beer: I drink to that! :beer:

Prodigy
04-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Actually as far as I'm aware Déjà-Vû has been explain thus:

Your memory has 2 main areas. Short term and long term.

Déjà-Vû occurs when an event goes straight into your long term memory instead of residing in the short term so your brain sees it in the long term memory and tells you that you've seen said event before, even though it has only just happened.

Psychotic
04-18-2003, 06:39 PM
When Déjà-Vû happens to me, I have actually dreamed the expierience previously, and I am certain I have done so. And it's only been minor things, such as dreaming about the hotel room I would stay in 7 months time - I didn't even have the hotel booked... and yet I got a vision of it. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I was asleep, and therefore not conscious. But anyway, someone I know had a theory about Déjà-Vû, and that was that the brain was remembering the future. Although that makes no sense in principle, it kind of does figure.

Anyway, as for Magic being real, I'm going to conduct a little test. I am honestly going to try as hard as I can to cast a basic spell like fire. You all ready? Here goes... Oh would you look at that, it didn't work, and I did try as hard as I could.

Kimera 726
04-18-2003, 10:07 PM
yeah with fusion you can do anything, since its hot enough to extract hydrogen and you can create anything with pure hydrogen.

Literally, I think the idea of psychokinesis isn't that too far off, although the concept is a little hard to grasp. Prodigy's right: psychokinesis is the ability to manipulate atoms, in a small or large quantity, to whatever you want. Fusion is the first step to all this because heat from the sun has been inspiring us to melt and create new elements. Why create new ones when you can break it down? With a heat like fusion and a template to replicate things from whatever elements things are burned out of, the ability to create whatever you want is at your heart's desire. This is a theory on fusion called "The Fusion Rocket".

Now I believe the next step to this would be to create some cybernetic implant to work with the brain, or perhaps to increase stimuli of some way. There is much about the brain we do not know, some of us are already to claim that the brain has no potential for psychokinetic manipulation but then they don't know either. As long as there's the imagination and the technology, there will always be the strife to make things real.