PDA

View Full Version : Why Do royal charcters always SUCK

MJN SEFEIR
04-17-2003, 08:21 PM
I have Been wondering this for some time now does SQU/\RE have something against royalty I mean they make all royal characters SUCK FF4's Edward was a yellow chicken (Kid talk for wimp) FF9's Garnet couldn't fight (her summons made up) Reina in FF5 and Gorden (I have not played FF2 but I hear he sux)

so whats the deal?

Bob the Elf
04-17-2003, 08:39 PM
I just guess, royal characters cannot be cool, they have to have parent's or else that makes them a ruler, having a ruler in your party would be weird and parents = uncool. Uncool characters are not good.

chadmonkey
04-17-2003, 08:45 PM
I thought that Edgar and Sabin in FFVI were pretty cool. I've also heard arguments on boths sides that Edge in FFIV is cool or a wuss.

MJN SEFEIR
04-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Forgot Edgar He is Cool and so is Sabin

Edge royal (????)

chadmonkey
04-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Edge is the prince of Eblan, but thenGolbez attacks and takes his parents hostage. Then that crazy doctorexperimentson them and you fight them in the Tower of Babil.

Pancaek
04-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MJN SEFEIR
Edge royal (????)
Yeah, he's the prince of Eblan.

I haven't really noticed royal characters being any worse, with the exception of Edward and possibly Gordon (not sure about him). Edgar and Sabin are both great, obviously. Garnet's meant to be a healer, not a fighter. I always thought Lenna was meant to be a mage too. On that note, everyone in FF5 besides Butz is royal, and they're all good characters.

Master.Pug
04-18-2003, 08:04 AM
Edward & Gordon are extremely weak!!!!

...but the whole FFV bunch, Edgar, Sabin, & also Lili(she's a wizard so she isn't a good fighter, look at FFI!) are nice powerful chars ;)

Psychotic
04-18-2003, 06:45 PM
And what about the end of FFIV? Cecil and Rosa are made King and Queen Or at least, that's what I remember.... (Great, I'm paranoid that I misinterpreted it or imagined it...)

And those characters weren't poor, were they? And I know this is a much later FF game but Princess Garnet wasn't all that bad with her Summons...

Imperia
04-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Not all FF royals are picky, prissy, spoiled-rotten wussies. Garnet can't fight well, yes, but she's still very brave and strong and is not afraid to get her feet dirty. Reina is great too, and so is Edgar, Sabin, and Edge.

DJZen
04-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Gordon doesn't have to suck. Like any character in FF2, you can level his stats out the ass to make him a bad mutha-SHUT YO' MOUTH!-I'm just talkin' about Gordon....

True, he has low stats when he joins up with you, but there's definitely a reason...

He's all pressured to be royalty but doesn't want to be so he's afraid to do much of anything, but for that he feels like a coward and just mopes around feeling sorry for himself until you bring him his brother's ring.

Also, I don't remember Reina/Lenna sucking, you can give her any job and she'll probably do just fine.

MJN SEFEIR
04-18-2003, 08:16 PM
WHOAH!!!

Guess I'm Just Bias Note I forgot that Gaulf was king

Moshenokoji
04-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Now that we all think about it, the royal characters are badass exepct for like Gordon and Edward. And Edward was a chicken, for god sakes he was a bard, i'd rather be a Geomancer than a bard. Gordon is ok, just bring his stats up and hes a good. so Edward is only the bad royal character. but once you think about it, Rinoa was kinda royalty being the duaghter of that general guy ( i foget his name) her stats wern't top notch like some of the other characters but she was brave.

Dignified Pauper
04-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Edgar and Sabin in FFVI-Awesome
All the Royals in FFV- Awesome (if you used them right)
Edward in FF4- Horrible
Edge in FF4-Awesome

Therefor, most royals aren't that bad... What about the Onion Kids in FF3j... They are orphans taken in by the mayor which wouldn't be royal, but nobility.. or at least above commoners.

And FF2j, i don't think that because he's royalty he sucks, you just didn't get his stats up to par...

Moshenokoji
04-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Onion kids rock!

Bob the Elf
04-20-2003, 11:29 PM
What a great post :P

Gee , I guess some royal characters ARE good afterall, weird.

Lassic
04-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Edward was really a sissy, and Edge wasn't so cool...

DJZen
04-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Moshenokoji
Edward was a chicken, for god sakes he was a bard, i'd rather be a Geomancer than a bard.

I don't know who that's more insulting to, the bards or the geomancers O.o

Moshenokoji
04-23-2003, 11:44 PM
doesn't matter they both suck. how about i go through all the FF classes that blow?

Beserker
Hunter ( Archer )
Blue Mage ( i just think they're stupid )
Trainer
Chemist
Bard
Dancer
Scholar
Geomancer

and thats the stuff off the top my head i haven't played Tactics to much so fogive me if i left out the crap in that game.

Sephex
04-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by MJN SEFEIR
so whats the deal?

The deal you speak of is that the main character is not royal...therefore he is the underdog and he is least likely to save the day. It just makes the main character look more badass and heroic when he does save the day I guess. The royal characters are strong by normal standards..it is just that when the real bad guys show up...they are DOOMED! Only the main character and kind of main characters can TRULY save the day!

chionos
04-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I can't believe you don't like blue mages, Moshenokoji. Blue magic was awesome in ffvi, strago was a wuss, but had some of the best spells in the game. Blue magic in ffix kinda sucked, but was still helpfull at times. I love blue magic. And it's also fun to learn.

As far as royals go, I think that Edgar and Sabin in ffvi more than make up for any disparities in any other royals. I thought that most of the characters in ffiv sucked anyways.

DCI Superfan
05-09-2003, 09:04 PM
This is kinda along the same lines of the FF cliche: If you're the "President" of anything, you'll be the first to go. Or, at least that's what I've seen.

DCI Forever!!