PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem with my laptop.

Daryl
04-17-2003, 10:45 PM
I have a laptop by HP, and I'm running Windows XP in case that makes any difference.

In the last few weeks, whenever I'm watching a DVD with Windows Media Player, or using ZSNES, at random my computer will just shut off. There's no consistant time of usage before this happens; sometimes (rarely) I can get through a movie, sometimes I get through the opening credits.

Ran a virus scan, it came back clean.

I'm not sure what else it could be. I usually have it plugged in, so, I don't think it's a battery issue.

Anyone have any ideas? =\

chadmonkey
04-17-2003, 10:57 PM
I have a similar problem with my laptop where it restarts at random times for no apparent reason. I just moved my hard drive to another computer and the same thing happens. Looks like I have to reinstall the OS. :mad:
I guess the point of my post is that you might have to reinstall your OS. Sorry :(

Zifnab
04-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Star had exactly the same problem, though with a Toshiba laptop. Her cooling fan packed in too, in the end she had to send it back to the factory to get a new HD and cooling fan.

o_O
04-18-2003, 01:02 PM
If reinstalling the OS is all you have to do, then that shouldn't be too much of a problem, just install it over the top of your existing one. I'd guess that it's a problem with your fan, though.

crono_logical
04-18-2003, 05:05 PM
I'd say it's a cooling problem too :p

Daryl
04-20-2003, 02:14 AM
So, clout and the rest of you (heh), if it's a cooling problem, what exactly can I do to fix it?

Thanks for the help!

crono_logical
04-21-2003, 06:20 PM
I installed something called Speedfan on my dad's laptop since that also had an oveheating problem - in there disable the automatic fan speed, and go into it's options and set the fan speed to 100% (or slightly less if it's too noisy for you ;) ), and set the program to start with the computer - that should force the fan to always be on :p Plus you get an icon in the tool tray monitoring the temperature of the CPU or whatever else you set it to monitor, provided the necessary sensors are there :p