PDA

View Full Version : WORLD MAP

the blitzer
04-19-2003, 06:04 PM
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE FF10 YOU WILL KNOW THEIR IS NO WORLD MAP. I THINK IT IS BETTER AS I SAW NO POINT IN THE WORLD MAP.

Bahamut2000X
04-19-2003, 07:06 PM
I think the world maps were the best part of the gane. It gave need to vehicles, so you had boats, air ships, and various other things in past FF's. Plus it took time to ge tto places and you had to fight lot's of monsters. Not to mention you could spend hours just flying the airship around for fun, also exploring places, and if you wanted to go somewhere you didn't just press X and your there, you actually had to look for it. And if you wanted to see some enw place you just look around for a new place, not press X and move a red triangle around pressing like a mad man in hopes to find some place.

Of ya and did I mention I hated how FFX had clouds covering half the map.:mad: Made it hard to see anything.

Psychotic
04-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
I think the world maps were the best part of the gane. It gave need to vehicles, so you had boats, air ships, and various other things in past FF's. Plus it took time to ge tto places and you had to fight lot's of monsters. Not to mention you could spend hours just flying the airship around for fun, also exploring places, and if you wanted to go somewhere you didn't just press X and your there, you actually had to look for it. And if you wanted to see some enw place you just look around for a new place, not press X and move a red triangle around pressing like a mad man in hopes to find some place.

Of ya and did I mention I hated how FFX had clouds covering half the map.:mad: Made it hard to see anything.

What he said, only with submarines, flying chocobos, buggys, downed sea planes and cars...

Zifnab
04-20-2003, 01:46 PM
The reason the FF world map was abolished in FFX was to give the game a sense of realism, as you had to actually travel from place to place using footpaths and such. Not to mention that leaving a town, finding out that you're 10 times larger than the town, stomping across miles of land in seconds and suddenly becoming 6 feet high again when you enter a town isn't really realistic.

Psychotic
04-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Realism? ha! since when could you barge into anyones house you liked? since when did people say the same things over and over again and don't move fom the spot? since when did monsters exist? since when did magic exist? since when did uber airships exist? since when did summoned monsters exist? since when did such unfeasible weapons exist? since when did Chocobos and Moogles exist? since when did people that walked with you actually stayed INSIDE you? since when did suddenly everything went blurred and you then started fighting strange beasts? since when did things like Blitzball become possible? since when did you find a treasure chest full of pretty things? Etc, etc.

Final Fantasy is just that, FANTASY.

Calvin
04-21-2003, 05:24 AM
I liked the world maps. I gives you some freedom. The one thing I found disappointing about FFX was that there was no world map. I liked exploring the world map and then later coming back to towns already visited and seeing them completely different. (e.g. Junon without the cannon). In FFX, you only had one way to go. And I also have trouble remembering town names since I only visited them once. I felt that X was far too linear and one-dimensional. And a large part of that was due to the lack of a world map.

edczxcvbnm
04-21-2003, 06:36 AM
A world map gives you freedom and sense of a grand adventure. FFX lacked that because you were on a straight line. You went from town to town with no other way to go to another area with out tracing your steps the exact way you came. Hell...Super Mario Bros. 1 gave you more freedom with how you would get to the end.

DJZen
04-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Man, I remember when FF games used to come with world maps, that was t3h r0x0r. It was just nice on the one hand to look up the new town Edgar suddenly wants you to go to, but on the other hand, they were just interesting to look at.

Oh wait, you meant the ability to wander around the world at will? Why the heck WOULDN'T you want that? I mean, geez, this is how sub-quests happen!

Bahamut2000X
04-22-2003, 05:27 PM
The reason the FF world map was abolished in FFX was to give the game a sense of realism

So realistically airships can take you anywhere just by telling some bald guy you want to go somewhere and you instantly there?:p

Mr. Graves
04-22-2003, 06:47 PM
The games are better with a world map. I suppose a 'no world map' think would work, as FF10 had none and it actually didn't seem too bad.

I did miss the freedom it gave me while playing though.

Bahmant zero
05-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Realism? since when is a 1000ft airship floating with ginat cusers and trails realistic?
i love the world map, like you all said it gave it a special feel, a grand adventure and i feel it shapes the game and is one of the most important parts, they give your freedom and more side quests. i loved the ff7 world map, i think that it gave the game a certain feel to it, and feel of adventure....ff10 was just crap really.

Psychotic
05-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bahmant zero
Realism? since when is a 1000ft airship floating with ginat cusers and trails realistic?
i love the world map, like you all said it gave it a special feel, a grand adventure and i feel it shapes the game and is one of the most important parts, they give your freedom and more side quests. i loved the ff7 world map, i think that it gave the game a certain feel to it, and feel of adventure....ff10 was just crap really.

This guy deserves a medal. But what I really want to know is what a Ginat Cuser is.

EveningCross
05-04-2003, 11:41 PM
I was thinking... Wouldn't it be pretty cool if they made an FF game that didn't have a world map but at the same time still let you go wherever you wanted to? That way you could explore all you wanted to at the risk of getting the stuffing beaten out of you by some unknown creature(s). I think that this would add a dash of realism to FF games without taking away the freedom of the gamer to explore. For hints and tips on how to get to lost treasures, sidequests and secret places the programmers could program certain people in towns and otherwise to talk to the main characters about them. Does anyone else think that this is a good idea or would you prefer the traditional "here's your map of the entire world (which sometimes isn't always complete), have fun and don't die."

Enigma
05-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by EveningCross
I was thinking... Wouldn't it be pretty cool if they made an FF game that didn't have a world map but at the same time still let you go wherever you wanted to? That way you could explore all you wanted to at the risk of getting the stuffing beaten out of you by some unknown creature(s). I think that this would add a dash of realism to FF games without taking away the freedom of the gamer to explore. For hints and tips on how to get to lost treasures, sidequests and secret places the programmers could program certain people in towns and otherwise to talk to the main characters about them. Does anyone else think that this is a good idea or would you prefer the traditional "here's your map of the entire world (which sometimes isn't always complete), have fun and don't die."

I prefer the traditional "here's your map of the entire world (which sometimes isn't always complete), have fun and don't die." thing.

I liked world maps because it gave a great feeling, a great time to show off some of the soothing, for lack of better words, music. You could go to places before you were supposed to and it gave a challenge to Final Fantasys, you could get lost easier and easily pissed at all the damned random battles.

FFX was alright but with a world map, it would have be much better.

ColdSteel
05-09-2003, 04:07 AM
I totally loved the world map thing, but i thought it could have been improved.

In future FF's, it would be awesome if everything on the world map was realistically proportioned -- charachters aren't 10 times the size of towns. Something like hyrule field in Zelda OoT, but on a much, much larger scale to fit the FF worlds.

You'd be able to see for miles upon miles all the way to the horizon (think about the intro from FF VIII where Rinoa is shown standing in the wide open fields). Hey, they almost pulled it off on an N64, so i'm sure they could do something of that scale on PS2!

Bahmant zero
05-09-2003, 07:30 PM
coldsteel, your wish has been granted, its called ff11. that has a full sized world map like zelda and its HUGE. FF10 was just a rush job to exclude the world map!

eternalshiva
06-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Jenova·Rebirth
...finding out that you're 10 times larger than the town, stomping across miles of land in seconds and suddenly becoming 6 feet high again when you enter a town isn't really realistic.

LMAO But that's the best part. I hated the way the map worked when you were in the airship. The best part to FF is the Godzilla syndrom and the fact that you can die at the drop of hat if you wander off in the wrong part of the island. I hated how you couldn't travel around at the end. I agree, during the game it was anice touch of realism but at the end with the airship, talk about pulling you freaking hair out, I did not have the patience to sit there and click every area on that map to find new areas BBLAH, it was terrible. Good game though, bad map.

:love:

chappu
06-03-2003, 03:07 AM
I liked the world maps. You know I could come to school and find out how far through the game everyone is just by asking: "Are you up to the world map yet?"
You know entering the world map was that grand transition in the game, a huge step. Kinda like growing up, you knew, training is over, this is where the real thing begins. And going to places you were never supposed to go, its just great! World Map, you will be missed...