PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on timed missions!

Dazlar Bynon
04-20-2003, 08:08 AM
I just want to know what you think about those timed missions.

Big D
04-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Usually fairly pointless. Ifrit's Fire Cavern... you can get a better performance rating by choosing a higher limit and then doing it quickly. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a timer, really. Getting a full half hour to escape Dollet is also unnecessary, unless you plan to defeat the Black Widow - I mean, destroy it completely. That can potentially take a while.

On the other hand... it can make sense - from the plot's perspective - to impose time limits. After all, it's pretty weird that Squall is free to spend literally hours strolling around Balamb Garden while Rinoa hangs off a cliff by her fingertips.

Dazlar Bynon
04-20-2003, 09:39 AM
In some occasions they are indeed needed to keep it real, but gaming with a time limit is not my favourite way. Also do they have to do those poses when they are working on the clock. I totally agree whit you on the fire cavern, I can get to Ifrit whitin under 5 mins and defeat him within the next 5. That should give the best result, if you ask me, but it doesn't! It's a good thing that you always have plenty of time, except maybe at the misile base, I rarely can do that in the minimum time. And Odin only with the ENC-NONE active.

There's enough time to do things, so there basically to support the storyline! (with a few exeptions)

PhoenixAsh
04-20-2003, 01:29 PM
I thought the timed missions were done brilliantly, as were all of the sub games in VII and VIII (sadly the trend ended after this game). When you had to be timed, you were comfortable, but if you wanted to push yourself (beating the spider for example) then it was a challenge. The same in Ifrit's cave and the missile base, you actually choose how long you want. Then your rewards are appropriate, surely SeeD ranks should be based on this sort of thing. The timers never felt really tacked on either, nor did they make you think that you were missing things by rushing.
I admit that VIII has faults but I would genuinely say it has the best gameplay of all the recent FFs (except maybe VII).

LovesRinoa
04-20-2003, 02:31 PM
what about the time limit to reach the purple glow to fight the big guy? that was a bitch azz. i forget if in VIII there is an encounters NONE ability, but I didnt have it. needless to say it was a pain to make it to him with enough time.

chappu
04-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Diablos holds the enc none ability. And yeh, it was hard to get to Omega in time, ah well, I did it :P I never knew you can defeat the spider thing, i thought it recovers itself after each fight... So, what happens if u kill it? No FMV of Zell shooting it?

remi07
04-20-2003, 03:15 PM
i thought the timed missions were pretty easy (especialy the fire cavern) except the one in esthar. i completly messed up.

Kimera 726
04-20-2003, 07:00 PM
I usually get nervous when it comes to timed missions so I end up panicing and screwing up half the time. Like in Dollet, I don't think. I just run, and if it catches me, I beat it up and run again.

To prove a greater example would be the Train mission. I would sometimes stare at the clock and see how much time I have left at a critical point. And so I get caught in the act. Same goes for FF9 to, with the stupid Frog Key thing. That is the one sidequest I particuarly hate.

As for Omega, I heard about it, but I don't even know where he is, much less how to complete this "Water Gate" quest.

In the end, I don't like timed missions. Some are ok, but that's only because they give you ample time to do things.

Dazlar Bynon
04-20-2003, 07:48 PM
To tell the truth I never really look at the time I have left, I always do what I can as good as I can it, even in real life! I must say that my adrenaline level goes up during time events. Especially if there is time wasted by conversations, like Quistis in the fire cavern. Or when Squall just stands there waiting while time passes, Dollet mission "We're runing from the spider... lets wait a little more shall we, and let's make sure Squad C has left the pub, so that the spider is closer when we run again". Yet I'm always pretty relaxed, weird but true!

Spatvark
04-20-2003, 09:30 PM
The Galbadian Missile base one sent me close to crazy. I refused to pick any other time limit than 10 minutes and every damn time I'd trash the Iron Clad and have only ONE soldier left to go when te time ran out... *cries*

I finally did it though, and I was so bloody chuffed!

Dazlar Bynon
04-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Yes, I said that before. It's the only mission that is difficult with the minimum time limit, because I will run out just before your done. I started FF8 again a week ago, but this time I will not stop until I succeed in 10 mins. I'll have to concider who to take with Selphie carefully though!

PhoenixAsh
04-20-2003, 10:20 PM
I love that, it offers at least some challenge for people who've got to grips with junctioning and stuff. Plus it DOES let you choose the time limit.

Big D
04-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by chappu
:P I never knew you can defeat the spider thing, i thought it recovers itself after each fight... So, what happens if u kill it? No FMV of Zell shooting it?
You've got to run from it twice; after that, you can destroy it. You've gotta have fairly strong characters and magic (Lightning elem-attack helps). Just keep attacking; it'll auto-repair a few times, but eventually it'll explode. Alas, you do miss out on that cool FMV of Quistis playing with the landing craft's machine gun, but you get a huge bonus on your SeeD assessment.

Kimera 726
04-21-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Dazlar Bynon
Yes, I said that before. It's the only mission that is difficult with the minimum time limit, because I will run out just before your done. I started FF8 again a week ago, but this time I will not stop until I succeed in 10 mins. I'll have to concider who to take with Selphie carefully though!

Wait, are you taking into account of that secret pathway at the computer controls?

remi07
04-21-2003, 04:39 AM
Or when Squall just stands there waiting while time passes, Dollet mission "We're runing from the spider... lets wait a little more shall we, and let's make sure Squad C has left the pub, so that the spider is closer when we run again". [/QUOTE]

I hated that part! I found myself screaming at all three of the characters cause they'd just stare at the robot like idiots! yes i do have anger management problems :)