PDA

View Full Version : Programs not loading correctly.

Shoeberto
04-21-2003, 02:45 AM
<font color="#009999">
For some reason, I can't get Winamp or RPG Maker 2k to open properly. I think it might be a problem with the sound, since I could open up Winamp by itself - but when I tried to play music, it froze. For RM2k, I can't even get past the splash screen. It just freezes right there.

It just happened today, too. Last night, I was listening to MP3s through Winamp. I haven't used RM2k recently, but I think it all might've started today. I've tried a clean install of RM2k, but it didn't work either.

Any thoughts of what might be wrong?

Rainecloud
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Can you hear any sounds at all from your computer - in other programs perhaps?

Have you used any cleanup utilities recently, such as Registry Cleaner?

crono_logical
04-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Possibly reinstall DirectX and/or the sound card drivers, if you think it's a sound problem.

Shoeberto
04-22-2003, 01:18 AM
<font color="#009999">
Other sounds work correctly. I can use Irfan View MP3 player to listen to stuff, and all of the basic Windows sounds play.

I think it might just be a problem with the audio channel those programs use, since I'm pretty sure they both run on the same one. (I can't ever get Winamp and RM2k to run at the same time without getting a "Device is already in use" message)

crono_logical
04-22-2003, 03:34 AM
Oh, that happens because one of them has the driver open so the other can't use it :p I can't remember if it's both trying to use DirectSound at once, or both trying to use something else, or whatever. You could try changing your Winamp plugin to use Wave Out instead of a DirectSound plugin instead, or vice versa, to see if that helps if you want to use both at once.

Shoeberto
04-24-2003, 01:30 AM
<font color="#009999">
I'm not trying to use both at once. I'm just trying to open them up individually, but neither will open.