PDA

View Full Version : PM issues...

Big D
04-26-2003, 10:13 AM
I think it'd really help to have 'preview' and 'attachment' option in the PMs. What think you?

crono_logical
04-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Preview would be nice, yes :p

Attachments would be a big no-no though, since people could abuse it to hide lots of large files they send to each other in the EoFF database making it bloated without them being publicly accessible, so could hide lots of dodgy files in there. I'd rather the attachments stay to threads only - at least mods/admins can remove the spammy or bad ones that way that waste disk space.

Big D
04-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Don't the admins have access to people's PMs, for that specific purpose? I mean, surley we could trust the admins not to 'snoop' through private messages, but rather to simply weed out anything illicit.

I'd still like the 'preview' option. It'd save a lot of confusion and embarrassment. And apparent stupidity when a PM has oversights like unclosed or unfinished tags and whatnot.[/bold][/size][/vitriol]

See what I mean?:D

Some simple proof-reading can negate those kinds of mistakes... but for a long and elaborate PM, it'd be far more efficient and practical to simply do a preview.

crono_logical
04-26-2003, 01:28 PM
No, admins don't have access directly, unless they go straight to the database instead of using the actual forums frontend, which doesn't count - not something they do except under extreme circumstances anyway, PM related or not. Other forums have an admin PM hack making it easy for admins to snoop through PMs of anyone they want, but it's not installed at this place. Attachments would be more of a concern than normal spammy PMs, because they take up a heck of a lot more space.

edczxcvbnm
04-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Couldn't you put a time counter on the attachments in the PMs so they automatically delete after say...2 days?

Big Ogre Umaro
04-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Wish I had access to vb.org.

Loony BoB
04-26-2003, 05:46 PM
No need for PM attachments, I say. Previews I think we tried once, and the screwed up pretty bad.

Iori
04-26-2003, 06:21 PM
previews would be nice, if they werent such a tedious process.

Yamaneko
04-26-2003, 06:30 PM
I like it how it is.

Burtsplurt
04-26-2003, 06:53 PM
I'd like previews, but attachments do sound a bit dodgy. Needing to attach something is probably rare anyhow, so doing it by e-mail shouldn't be too much hassle.

Originally posted by BOU
Wish I had access to vb.org.

What has the Victory Baptist Church (http://www.vb.org/) got to do with this?!

Del Murder
04-26-2003, 11:07 PM
I thought once upon a time the preview function was being enabled.

Shlup
04-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
I thought once upon a time the preview function was being enabled.
Originally posted by Loony BoB several posts earlier
No need for PM attachments, I say. Previews I think we tried once, and the screwed up pretty bad. Yup. If someone can find a better preview hack or something then the last one then I'm willing to try and install it.

Attachments should be limited to public domain (ie, threads) and private email though. The database could get clogged way too easily if people had the option to send things through PMs, which admins do not have access to, and doing things like setting a time limit where they delete themselves is asking a bit much. I sure as hell wouldn't know how to do that.

Dr Unne
04-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Private attachments could only be used for file-transfer between two people, and I don't know if EoFF's host would appreciate being used as nothing but temporary storage for random people to use to transfer files. Public attachments are at least subject to the same on-topicness scrutiny that all posts are.