PDA

View Full Version : FFX's difficulty

LovesRinoa
04-26-2003, 05:02 PM
I must introduce myself as I haven't posted in this section yet, I mainly hang out in FFVIII. HI EVERYONE! I am most likely the oldest guy in here, 26 almost 27, but that can be good because I have played FF since it started. I was like 13 I think. Anyways onto my post.

Is there a setting of difficulty in this game? Please show me where. This was the easiest and most laziest FF I have played. Dont get my post wrong though, I am not going to bash the game as I loved it and am anxiously awaiting X2 , which will be in the US in November. But seriously, if you die in a random battle you are automatically brought back to life, no need to use a pheonix down (spelling is off there) or Life spell. If you are poisoned or have any other status ailment, they are gone after the battle. This is lame. It has made the game lazy and easy. You think back in FFI you could walk around after being poisened? Ya right, if you wanted a quick death yes. I could go on and on about how easy this game was but those few things really bugged me. Also, when I was at the point where you enter Sin, I stopped from going any further. Grabbed the strategy guide and did all the side quests that are impossible to know without a guide. Anyone out there that says they figured out they had to dodge 200 lightening bolts or knew any of the albeht codes for the airship is a damn lyer. So needless to say my squad is pretty powerful. I have all legendary weaps except kilmari's who I dont use much, and LuLu's which is just a pain to get. Wakka has I think 21,000HP and hits for 99,999 everytime. When I defeated all the Aeoens at the end and then took on YuYevon, I hit him once with Wakka and the game was over. WTF???? Thats just sad. Why??? Was he suppose to transform somewhere? FFVIII and FFVII both had bosses who were difficult, both transformed like a billion times. I dunno, maybe I just got too powerful. I guess the hardest guy is in the arena after you capture 10 of everything. I am close to that so I am looking forward to fighting it. Just pis ses me off that they put guys in the arena that are harder than the end boss. Ok i am done! :love:

PhoenixAsh
04-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Four words, Ruby, Emerald, Omega, Ozma. They all made the end bosses look like pushovers.
The real challenge of FFX was endurance. Just how many times can you put up with the Cloisters to get extra items before you smash the screen? How long can you press the same button repeatedly while paying stupid amounts of attention to flashes because missing a beat screws you? Are you willing to play over ten whole minutes of Blitzball over and over and over with only one really useful reward? Can you really be bothered to catch ten of every monster in the game even though some refuse to turn up and are frequently instead replaced by Magic Pots (the enemies ever)?

Kimera 726
04-27-2003, 07:47 AM
You are exactly right, Phoenix. The overall layout of the game is set to be a kind of interactive movie (then again, if FF8 or FF9 could talk, it would be the same thing) with battles and movements and sidequests to get things done. I admit things get more difficult towards the end but overall the game is not that hard to beat. Especially if you take the time to level up your characters.

By default, everybody completes their sphere grid and you sohuld be able to be the game with just that. No hidden aeons, no ultimate weapons, nothing like that. In that case, the game literally is not much longer than that of FF9 (or not much shorter). If you do take the time to level up characters beyond all reckoning, then its no doubt the game is really easy. Many of the sidequests, as Phoenix 17 said, require a lot of "endurance", patience, and being able to cope with frustration when the Malboro in the Omega Ruin always scores a hit on you, or when you get 199 jumps in the Thunder Plains and get zapped, or when that stupid Chocobo refuses to evade that bird which it looks like you missed it by a mile. If you don't mind pulling your hair out, you can do the sidequests, and the weapons are what I believe is too overpowered. If you finish a sidequest, you can make the game embarassingly easy. That's what I feel is the problem with FFX - the rewards for sidequests. 9999 is bad@$$ enough. But for the person who develops 99,999, I can't say that it's not their fault for being disapointed. Coudln't you say you disappointed yourself?

Pure Strife
04-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Three words: No Sphere Grid

Very hard, but not at all impossible. Check out the NSG FAQ(s) at gamefaqs.com.

Psychotic
04-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Out of the main Final Fantasy series, I have completed nine of them(And I'm not that far off the end of FF3) and I can honestly say that Final Fantasy X is the second most easiest one I have played(A couple of bosses killed me, not often though), with FFVIII being the easiest.

So, why is FFX so easy? This is all because FFX was aimed at a new generation, and has introduced many to Final Fantasy. I'd love to see one of the people that started on X try playing FFI or II, but maybe that's cus I'm mean :D

LovesRinoa
04-28-2003, 09:12 PM
I'd love to see one of the people that started on X try playing FFI or II, but maybe that's cus I'm mean
my point exactly. why didnt u comment on the whole issue with status ailments and dying in battles and the game automatically fixing your squad up. thats real lame. thats why u have antidotes and what not. yeh i made the end boss real easy because of the way I boosted my squad but still, he should have been harder. Why does the end boss have as much HP as earlier bosses? I just didnt get anything out of beating the boss and its a bummer. I dont think the cloisters where hard. I think maybe one was alittle difficult. And I personally enjoyed blitzball, that is until my team was unstoppable and I end up winning 12-0 most games. But even then its still fun. FFVIII's boss was stronger than FFX, so how can VIII be easier? I disagree. VIII also made you use your items, and not do it for u.FFX is the easiest and laziest of the bunch.

chadmonkey
04-28-2003, 09:22 PM
I agree that FFX is the easiest of all the games(I've played 1-10). As was mentioned before, it seems that the challenge in the game comes from the tediousness and hardness of tasks that are supposed to challenge the player who has to have everything and all players maxed out. I remember kicking back over a week's worth of nights to max out my characters magic and levels in FFVI(minus all of gau's rages). When I was done it hadn't taken that long once I was at the end of the game, and the characters are super powerful with the status enhancing at levels from espers. But that only took me 40-60ish hours to complete. On FFX I have a little over 100 hours logged and I don't have all of the creatures captured, I only have three lgendary weapons and I only have two characters who learned the whole sphere grid(the default spheres, filling the grid out with extra ability/stat spheres and learning all of those adds another layer of tediousness). So yeah, I say the challenge comes from trying to max out everyone as much as possible, and not beating the game itself.

PhoenixAsh
04-28-2003, 10:13 PM
I think the difficulty of the last boss was fair enough, if you played through normally he was pretty challenging(ish). If you levelled up there were some of the hardest monsters ever in there to kill.
FFVIII is MUCH easier than FFX if you know what you're doing. This says more about X though because no matter how well you know the game, you still just wind up doing the same things over and over before you get anything.

Pancaek
04-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17
If you levelled up there were some of the hardest monsters ever in there to kill.
Good point. I think they meant for the main part of the game to be really easy, and then after you were done that you had the option to either challenge yourself or go through a bunch of tedious repetitive tasks, depending on how you see it. Like Psychotic said, FFX was aimed at the newest generation of gamers. I guess Square felt that newbie gamers would have enough of a challenge with the main part, and expert gamers could go on to do everything else if they felt like it. Personally, I thought it was quite easy, but whatever hard parts there were were really hard.

Psychotic
04-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by LovesRinoa
my point exactly.

What? That I'm mean? :(

Seriously though, the whole save points healing you fully idea was just the easy way out. And as for no world map, "ooh it's sooooo realistic" yes and it also saves people having to actually find where they have to go next, and get in battles on the way.

PhoenixAsh
04-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Yeah the world map thing was just stupid. I really don't know what they were thinking with that. Same with Blitzball, why set a game underwater if you're gonna completely ignore the third dimension. They might as well have put signs around town saying "Yes we are wasting the power of the PS2 on graphics and completely ignoring gameplay".

muchacho
04-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by LovesRinoa
I guess the hardest guy is in the arena after you capture 10 of everything. I am close to that so I am looking forward to fighting it.

the name is nemisis and, well he's not that hard. i beat him my 2nd try. its more of an acoplishment to get him in my opinion than to beat him.

Jentleness
04-30-2003, 12:34 AM
I am most likely the oldest guy in here, 26 almost 27

Well, you may be the oldest guy here, but I've got you beat by a few years! LOL :laugh:

Elhaym
05-03-2003, 01:51 PM
All the FFs are pretty easy, it's just a matter of how much levelling you're willing to do. Even FF1 and the hardtype (shudder...) FF4 aren't really 'hard', they just need a crapload of levelling. Still think FF2 is the hardest since it's probably the most difficult to build your characters on...

Yrkoon
05-11-2003, 05:03 PM
i didnt do any sidequests at all on ffx untill i killed the end boss and the difficuilty of the boss with the guys i had seemed about right as it took me numerous tries and the boss was doing 1 hit kills on me (didnt train much)

now that ive done almost every thing there is to do the end boss just looks like a retard for easiness and nemesis seems pretty pussy as well :(

thank god for the dark aeons just one more to kill then i got penance to play with shudder... :)

The One Winged Angel
05-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Yrkoon
i didnt do any sidequests at all on ffx untill i killed the end boss and the difficuilty of the boss with the guys i had seemed about right as it took me numerous tries and the boss was doing 1 hit kills on me (didnt train much)

now that ive done almost every thing there is to do the end boss just looks like a retard for easiness and nemesis seems pretty pussy as well :(

thank god for the dark aeons just one more to kill then i got penance to play with shudder... :)

Lol, yeah, i was pretty much exactly the same, i went through it without much levelling and found it hard, i was only doing like 3k damage, and i had to rely on aeons, then i went back and levelled up and now i only got Dark Anima and Penance to go (Dark Yojimbo technically, but i keep killing him to get Dark Matter for my 3rd ribbon)

Zenshen
05-12-2003, 03:24 PM
I guess the hardest guy is in the arena after you capture 10 of everything. I am close to that so I am looking forward to fighting it. Just pis ses me off that they put guys in the arena that are harder than the end boss.

Hehe, you haven't fought Penance yet have you? :D

If you get FFX International version, you have the opportunity to defeat the Dark Aeons, and if you do that (which would mean that you are one seriously hardcore bastard!) then you would face Penance......

Oh, the pain..... :D

Prodigy
05-12-2003, 03:36 PM
You're right - the game is easy but as other people have said the real challenege is in the extras. Read: monster arena, dark aeons + penance.

In FF7 you could get KOTR and kill sephiroth in 1 move. You could also level up and then defeat Emerald weapon and Ruby weapon in a few minutes without dying and without even trying. It's a piece of cake.

Try fighting Penance though and you'll be in a battle that lasts a good hour. That's when you've already spent 130 hours or more levelling up so that you're hard enough to fight him.

It's the same in all FF games - the main storyline fighting is easy - but the extras can be as tough as you want.

Prodigy
05-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Also your characters don't automatically get brought back to life - not unless you've got auto-life on (which only lasts once) or auto-phoenix (again, if you all die at once you're shafted).

LovesRinoa
05-12-2003, 04:08 PM
They do get brought back to life. let someone die, and then after you win the battle take a look, they are alive and well, just need to be cured alittle bit. also if u get poisoned during a battle, dont use an antidote, when the battle ends he is no longer poisoned. this was not so in past FF's. 9,8, and I believe 7... I know the first 3 werent so either. unfortunately i dont have the int. version, i live in the U.S. and i dont have any mod chips or what not to play imports.. maybe soon I will look into it. im not that hard on trying to fight a decent battle in FFX.

I wasnt aware that sephiroth could be killed in one move.. I did not get into 7 that much. I did have a save right at him, but as I recall he was difficult. I know I didnt get Knights of the round, never even heard of it while I was playing the game. I didnt bother getting a guide or checking to see what all the little side quests were. I know my guys were pretty powerful in FFVIII and it took sometime to defeat Ultimecia.

The One Winged Angel
05-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Poison may go after the battle, but it is far more dangerous in the battle than it was before, it does 1/4 of your max HP per turn whereas before it was 1/200 per turn

W-summon KotR killed either of sephy's forms

Ultimecia was a joke, i killed her with just Squall in about 15 mins

IMO FFX is easy if you are just playing the storyline, but for those that want it there is more of a challenge hidden away than in any of the other FFs i've played, mainly from this guy:

FinalLethal
05-21-2003, 01:26 PM
pheonix it depends how you look at it, basically every boss in the storyline for ff10 was a pushover, especially that pathetic last boss. However, the additional bosses (originals) from monsters arena, can be quite challenging if you dont train majorily+ the dark aeons and penance and you have compensated for the lack of challenge by the other bosses

ray
12-23-2003, 06:27 PM
It's the same in all FF games - the main storyline fighting is easy - but the extras can be as tough as you want. [/QUOTE]

SEPHIR0TH
12-23-2003, 08:54 PM
You aren't the oldest, cuz i have 32 years but I feel like I have 13.

Phantom_Dream
12-23-2003, 09:32 PM
What is it with anyone above 20 complaining all the time about how everything was better before? Go away if you don't like it, and if you can, STAY away.

Savannah
01-01-2004, 05:46 AM
See, I hear people complaining all the time about how easy FFX was, but I've been through hell with this game, whereas FFVII gave me virtually no trouble at all. I beat Jenova(?) and Sephiroth on the first try, and just stared at the credits going, "That's it?". In the case of FFX, I gave up on the game completely for serveral months the last time I reached Sin's face (before my mom accidentally wiped that file off the memory card).

This could be blamed on the fact that I royally screwed up the Sphere Grid early on because I didn't take the time to understand how to use it, but if it weren't for the three secret aeons and Bahamut, I'd never be where I am now in the game (Sin's Sea of Sorrow). If I tried to level up my players to the point of doing 99,999 damage, it'd take way more time than it'd be worth.

If you do that much levelling up, of course the game is going to be easy.