PDA

View Full Version : squall laguna's son?

shinra666
04-29-2003, 03:33 AM
i got into a huge arguement today with a friend that said that squall could possibly be lagunas son. i think that this theory is absurd, but he did support with good facts. some include that loire was pregnant 17 years ago and had a babyjust before she died.

so what do you think could this be possible, or is he just insane.

Erdrick Holmes
04-29-2003, 03:39 AM
That baby I believe was Rinoa, but I could be wrong.

Besimudo
04-29-2003, 03:51 AM
It is common knowledge that Squall is Lagunas son.

the most scientific proof is that the moobas call squall "laguna" as they recognise people by blood, when the lick Squalls blood.

Go congratulate your friend... It makes me happy to learn that the world still has some hope!

Erdrick Holmes
04-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Hold on a second, Laguna never had kids, I know at the end It shows Laguna asking Raine to marry him but when Squall and the gang reach Esthar and talk to Laguna in person would Laguna simply say "Squall, I am you're father" I mean I would see why Squall would forget due to the GF and he dun give a shit. So blantently Squall cannot be Laguna's son (oh btw what I said earlier... I was thinking of julia not Raine)

IamTidus
04-29-2003, 04:19 AM
Listen Squall is Laguna son. Ward and Kiros say something along the lines of " good thing you don't look like your Father and the other says you have your mother's eyes or something like that. How else would they know who his mother is and would be good enough friends with his father to talk bad about. And Laguna says after this is over we need to talk I'll understand if your mad. Hmm? I wonder what that could mean? And plus what Besimudo said about the moombas. I am sorry but You are wrong and your friend is right.

Erdrick Holmes
04-29-2003, 04:43 AM
Ok look at Squall's last name. "Leonhart" His last name is not Loire, Squall cannot be the son of Laguna.

Big D
04-29-2003, 05:48 AM
Squall had Raine's maiden name... or one that was given to him after he left the orphanage. Julia and General Caraway are Rinoa's parents, Julia died when Rinoa was five. Laguna and Raine are Squall's parents. Laguna went to Esthar to rescue Ellone, but then stayed there. He missed seeing Raine's new-born son (specifically mentioned in the game), and Raine died shortly after the birth anyway. Squall was sent into the orphanage. It's stated clearly that Laguna and Raine had a child together... but Laguna never met that child because he was in Esthar. The people of Winhiill hated Laguna, so they would've sent Squall to the orphanage under a different name.

Also, look at the evidence from Besimudo and IamTidus... that basically selas the deal.
Anyway, I think it's been officially confirmed that Squall is the son of Laguna, so there's not a lot to argue.

Dazlar Bynon
04-29-2003, 06:12 AM
Why so many women?
is this tread are allready some discussions about this subject!

Squall saw Ellone as a big sister at the orphanage!
Irvine (about Ellone): "Squall, but you kept hogging her all to yourself."

Erdrick Holmes
04-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Ok hold on a second, grab the FF8 instruction booklet, Laguna Loire age: 27
Squall Leonheart age: 17

How can you have a kid at the age of 10 i ask you?

Sephex
04-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Akumaou812
Ok hold on a second, grab the FF8 instruction booklet, Laguna Loire age: 27
Squall Leonheart age: 17

How can you have a kid at the age of 10 i ask you?

They mean the Laguna in the flashback(when you play as him) is 27, duh. I don't even like the game that much and I know that.

Doomgaze
04-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Akuma, think about it. If Laguna was 27 now, he would be 10 during the flashbacks, which he clearly is NOT.

Erdrick Holmes
04-29-2003, 09:06 PM
If Squall is Laguna's son how come Laguna never said anything when he met Squall in person? And how did Squall get to the orphanage where he and everyone lese grew up.

Spatvark
04-29-2003, 09:30 PM
He DOES say something about it when they meet silly!

Originally posted by IamTidus
And Laguna says after this is over we need to talk I'll understand if your mad. Hmm? I wonder what that could mean?

Not exact, but you notice how Laguna doesn't say anything else that could be considered as likely to make Squall mad? It is perfectly logical to believe that laguna means to tell him after the game... Square wanted people who played the game to THINK for themselves to get some of the plot intricacies, not just follow blindly what's said on the screen, and accept it as just that.

Consider this; why was Ellone showing Squall events that focused around Laguna? Because she knew the two of them were related. Didn't you notice that it is always Squall who goes into Laguna's head, and never any of the other four? Meanwhile, Ward and Kiros are "possessed" by any of the other four? The clues are all there...

Now, Raine died right? Someone in Winhill probably sent him to Edea's Orphanage where he could be cared for, but ALSO keeping him away from Laguna. When Squall is in Winhill, its denizens clearly don't think all too much of Laguna Loire...

And Rinoa is Julia Heartilly's baby with General Caraway, not Laguna's.

PhoenixAsh
04-29-2003, 10:05 PM
*Wonders if that title is a bit of a spoiler*

I( don't think anyone has highlighted the relevance of Squall and Rinoa's parents. I mean highlighted in a way to be even more obvious than that of Squall being Laguna's son.

Laguna couldn't be with Julia because he was sent off to war. He meets Raine. Julia meets Caraway (notice Rinoa doesn't have his surname either). The same fate that split up Julia and Laguna brings their children together so their love is carried on.

The relevance of both Squall and Rinoa having dead mothers and important military figures (who both lead plans to overthrow Sorceresses) as fathers is a little beyond me at the moment.

zacks_clone
04-30-2003, 12:10 AM
im not soo sure on this.though i havent completed this game,iv read enough walktrhoughs and seen enough spoilers and pics that i know the ending.Pretty sad,huh?

but,it does make sense that laguna is squalls father,yet it does make sense that he could not be.To throwing this out there,maybe the new born son wanst even IN the game

Besimudo
04-30-2003, 02:54 AM
This is a total waste of resources.

Erdrick Holmes
04-30-2003, 03:03 AM
I've never seen Laguna mention Squall being his son in the game and I've played through it 3 times, Laguna is never mentioned as a father either, I now he marry's Raine and she dies after heving a baby which was mentioned in the game only once, Squall is just one of those antagonist characters who have a mysterious past that family is never mentioned (wish I had that) so Laguna cannot be Squalls father.

IamTidus
04-30-2003, 05:00 AM
Trust me Laguna IS Squall's father. There is just too much info that says he is. They even have the same eyes. Ya Know?

Besimudo
04-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Look...

1. this guys missed it on his own accord

2. We have thrown the evidence at him.

It a bit like Macbeth and the Murderers (only more obvious in FF8). In Macbeth it is implied by the writer that Macbeth is one of the murderers via tone and repetition of phrases. In FF8 it is implied numerous times then for those of you to slow, they give it away by showing Raine and Laguna together. Ofcourse Squall doesnt have his Fathers name ... Matron was his guardian.

Also Laguna planned to tell Squall that he was his father, but only when the timing was right. Kiros tells Squall "its a good thing you dont look like your father... refering to laguna."

You seem rather blind to the subtle if you cannot, by your own devices work out the more subtle themes in FF8... These things are what makes FF8 the best as far as analysis goes. Good literature has many valuable assets, perhaps you should take some remedial action to cure your inability to analyse things beyond the black and white.

I believe the Mooba (identification by blood) argument verifies Lagunas paternity of Squall more than that of say Tidus and Jecht. After all we know that DNA doesnt lie....30% of childern are not to the proclaimed father so who can we know for sure 100% that Tidus is Jechts son?

So after 3 times of playing it through it still didnt click that Laguna was Squall father. How do you argue against the Moobas calling Squall "Laguna" in the prison..... You cant can you!

LOL

Big D
04-30-2003, 06:51 AM
It a bit like Macbeth and the Murderers (only more obvious in FF8). In Macbeth it is implied by the writer that Macbeth is one of the murderers via tone and repetition of phrases. Great. One of Shakespeare's masterworks has just been completely SPOILED for me. I know, I probably should've seen/read it by now, what with being an 'intellectual' and all, but there's only so much Shakespeare I can tolerate at any given time.
I believe the Mooba (identification by blood) argument verifies Lagunas paternity of Squall more than that of say Tidus and Jecht. After all we know that DNA doesnt lie....30% of childern are not to the proclaimed father so who can we know for sure 100% that Tidus is Jechts son?
AGAIN! Dammit! I haven't played FFX either... there's a lot to be siad for "Spoiler" tags, isn't there?
* Looks pointedly at Besimudo*

Lexy
04-30-2003, 07:20 AM
wonderful arguments everyone...especially Besimudo...I can barely form a sentence after reading Akumaou repeatedly denying that which is painfully obvious! :(

IamTidus
04-30-2003, 07:25 AM
I like arguments there fun. Ya Know? I still think there should be a debate topic for each of the FF games I tried one with the FFX forum but It failed horribley. Ya Know?

Jentleness
04-30-2003, 07:35 AM
There's something to be said about sitting back and enjoying a good plot. I was so busy in FF8 collecting every GF, every card, every weapon, etc. etc. etc. that I totally missed this whole issue. Oh well, I never could take a hint! :bgl: Now I am going to have to dust off the darn thing and play it again! Maybe I'll skip that whole card game this time around, (ugh!) it gave me such a headache! :mad:

Besimudo
04-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Big D don’t worry.... In FF10 they bluntly tell the player that Jecht is Tidus father in the first 30 minutes or so.

I would have rathered a vague relationship like FF8's but FF10 just spits it out. As for Macbeth; read it and try to see where the theme occurs. Note: it is very subconscious and in a statistical measure 50% of people discount it and 50 % believe undeniably that Macbeth one of the murderers. Amazing isn't
it.

Rostum
04-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Akumaou812
I've never seen Laguna mention Squall being his son in the game and I've played through it 3 times, Laguna is never mentioned as a father either, I now he marry's Raine and she dies after heving a baby which was mentioned in the game only once, Squall is just one of those antagonist characters who have a mysterious past that family is never mentioned (wish I had that) so Laguna cannot be Squalls father.

You must be REALLY blind... it does say in the contex somewhere, that Raine had a child (Laguna's child) but she died and Laguna couldn't go back to see her because of the war or because he was fighting the sourceress' war or something like that... anyways it says that the child was sent off to an orphanage...

Hmm, i know theres heaps of other evidence tha tno ones mentioned, but without playing through it again it wont cross my mind... maybe later.

Spatvark
04-30-2003, 04:43 PM
As far as I'm concerned this thread is over. If Akumaou812 doesn't want to believe it, then he doesn't have to. HOWEVER, the facts are plain to see; no more needs to be said.

*idiot-proofs the thread*