PDA

View Full Version : Lancers......

Calvin
04-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to calculate when a lancer will land after executing the Jump command? As far as I can tell, there isn't any way to do it.....and if there was, I'd definitely put it to good use. However, it would be cheating to a certain degree.

SmoshCuch
04-29-2003, 10:15 PM
I don't know any way of calculating exactly when a Jump will land, but check Aerostar's Battle Mechanics Guide at gamefaqs.com. I have heard that your attacks will land if the target's CT is under 50, and so far that has held true in my experience. I don't have any calculations to back that up, nor have I tested it extensively with Hasted enemies etc, but it is a good rule of thumb.

I don't think that knowing how attacks function is cheating, it's just being well informed. Now go jump like a kangaroo. :)

Calvin
04-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Ah.......CT below 50......I'll have to remember that. Thanks.

bennator
05-01-2003, 12:21 AM
read the BMG, CT below 50 doesn't always work.

Jump takes (speed/2) clock ticks to work, so if the unit has the same speed as you, CT below 50 works, but if the enemy has a highr speed, it could put you down to 40 or 30, while if they have a lower speed, it could move you to 60 or 70.

Calvin
05-03-2003, 11:14 AM
OK.....so the 50 CT trick seems to work pretty well.....and now I have another question, but I didn't feel it was necessary of a new thread.

Is there any way to calculate when Teleport will and will not work? I always thought the limit was around five panels.....but I just decided to go nuts and tried to teleport across the entire screen, and it worked!! To me, it just seems that it's on some sort of random number generator.

SmoshCuch
05-03-2003, 04:27 PM
If I remember correctly, you can move within your movement range 100%. For each panel beyond your range, you lose 20%. For example, you have a move of 5 & try to Teleport 7 panels away, you will have a 60% chance of success. There may be a minimum % chance of success, even if you attempt to move 5+ panels beyond your range, I'm not sure. Check the BMG, there's not much that's not in there.

Calvin
05-04-2003, 06:05 AM
OK......I looked it up and you actually lose 10% for each panel beyond your move distance, not 20%. Which makes it even better!

Nakor TheBlue Rider
05-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Yah I was gonna say it is only 10% less for each pannel.

Try explaining the greatness of Teleport to The "Move +3" fans though and you'll have a headache.

I mean yes "Move +3" allows you to move 3 panels farther and throw 3 panels farther as a ninja.....But you are extreamly limited on maps with Hight Maximums of like 15 and minimums of like 0.

"Teleport" Has no hight limit...Although I think the 10% rule still applys.....I have never failed to Teleport to somthing High as long as it was within my movement range....

Also somtimes a character will suffer from what I call "The Teleport Jitters".....This is when trying to move a very long distance fails, which then (Sometimes) causes that character to get "The Teleport Jitters" and Not be able to teleport even at only +2 or +3 from his or her own movment range.

"The Teleport Jitters" Usually wears off if you teleport within their movment range.

Some Characters Such as Ramza and Orlandu Seem immune to "The Teleport Jitters" and are even Capable of Teleporting at +8 and +9 of thier movment range with Consistantcy.

Think all that over before you choose Teleport as your favorite Movment.....(Which you will eventually relize is THE GREATEST MOVMENT OF ALL!!!:laugh: )

Night_Sword
05-06-2003, 09:54 PM
No, teleport 2 is the greatest movement, unlimited move with no range limit, but yes I agree with Nakor teleports height allowance makes up for the 10% panel loss, and Orlandu/ Ramza aren't affected any differently by the 10% panel fail than anyone else. I am reasonably sure that there is no height penalty, but don't quote me on that.

Calvin
05-06-2003, 10:52 PM
I had that Teleport Jitters thing happen to me. In fact, it happened to every character at the same time. Man was that annoying. And about the Teleport 2, do you get that from Game Shark?

MatrixManNe0
05-07-2003, 02:41 AM
I believe teleport 2 is only with the second-to-last battle with Elmdor.

If you use a game shark you can get it, though...

SmoshCuch
05-07-2003, 05:18 AM
I think Move+3 vs Teleport comes down to personal preference & battle map.

On relatively flat maps with few obstacles, Move+3 gives great range with no chance of failure.
On maps with drastic height differences (Deep Dungeon)or large obstacles (castle walls), Teleport allows great shortcuts.
For Ninjas (& chars with Throw) - Move+3.
For females limited to Move+2 - Teleport.

Personally, I sometimes use Move+3 for male warriors. On most maps, this is enough to reach the enemy quickly. And if a Teleport fails, it can leave a fighter out of attack range & possibly unable to act.
For mages, Teleport can offer access to hard-to-reach panels where they can retreat if wounded & still cast from up high (or down low, or whatever).

Move+3 is effective & reliable, Teleport is versitile but risky. Comes down to playing style.

And sure Teleport2 is the best, that's why you need a GS to get it.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
05-07-2003, 07:11 PM
When I said Teleport was the greatest Movment I ment from the classes available to the playable characters.

Night_Sword just Loves His/Her little loop holes and technicalities in what people say.

Its all good!!:D

Yah I dont like changing back and forth from Move+3 and Teleport baised on what map I am on So I opt for the Safty of Teleport so that if there is some hight on the map I wont be at a disadvantage.

Also I like to be able to access a good movment early in the game. Also I Only use Female Generic Characters and they cannot access Move +3

Time Mages are avaliable way before Bards. And early game is important to me.

Night_Sword
05-07-2003, 11:46 PM
The only time Move +3 is superior is Ninjas. As you may know throw distance is determined by move so a 7 range attack is quite beastly.

btw. Where did you get the idea that I was female in the first place?

Nakor TheBlue Rider
05-23-2003, 04:49 PM
From your Profile..... You must have had it changed for Sex Change Day.....Wayyy back when.....and forgot to change it back.....

Yes I can see how Move +3 would be great on a Ninja but on anyone else I always prefere Teleport....

Gregory
08-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Yeah, heard it was the same as Charge and stuff like that. If you get a high jump level, you bascially control the feild. Also, if you organize your attacks so that you always hit, you're basically invinsible.

ShadyMilkman
08-18-2003, 02:21 AM
As far as I'm concerned, lancers suck big kahonies until you get the Holy Lance by poaching a Sacred... then they are pimp!!!! Holy element with high attack and randomly casting Holy on the enemy!!!:rock: