PDA

View Full Version : Ads

DJZen
04-30-2003, 12:24 AM
When I use this site (the main site as well as the message boards) I get hit with a deluge of ads. This is just an annoyance though, because I also get about 20 programs installing themselves. This bogs down my computer and has caused it to crash several times. I have to run adwatch like every day. I realize that the site must cost loads of money to maintain, but still, I DON'T need to know the weather, I don't need "incredible savings now!!!" I already have a clock syncher, and I don't want any free scratch cards!!!!!

Loony BoB
04-30-2003, 12:30 AM
We have to put up with it, sadly. There's a link to a popupstopper in the Help Forum's FAQ, it's pretty good too. Only misses every now and then. But yeah, the size of this board and the bandwidth of the site is far too large to get hosted on a pay-for-bandwidth and MB server.

We're doing okay, overall. Very lucky.

Flying Mullet
04-30-2003, 12:31 AM
All this site is missing is the "Amazing Mini-Camera" and it'll have all of the most common annoying ads. They don't bohter me too much, I just right-click the new window when I see it pop up at the bottom and select "close" before they can do anything. (Oops, hope your advertisers don't see this...)

Dr Unne
04-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Ads pay for hosting. No ads means no EoFF.

Use <a href=http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/>Phoenix</a>. Or a pop-up stopper. Preferably Phoenix. You can kill popups plus ad-banners and anything else you want to kill with Phoenix. I haven't seen an ad banner here in so long I forgot they existed.

eestlinc
04-30-2003, 04:19 AM
yea with phoenix maybe one popup slips through a week. viewing attachments is somewhat of a pain in the buttkus, but o well.

DJZen
04-30-2003, 06:40 AM
it's actually not even the pop-ups that bother me, it's the self installing programs. Namely weathercast, save, clocksynch and scratch cards.

Shlup
04-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Sue the companies? I hate them too, but I haven't noticed any that I couldn't refuse.

eestlinc
04-30-2003, 08:32 AM
yea weathercast is the devil.

Doomgaze
04-30-2003, 08:54 PM
If you use windows, put "0.0.0.0 adserver.gamesquad.net" or "127.0.0.1 adserver.gamesquad.net" in your Hosts file... you'll never see another ad here again. :)

In XP, it's C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts , no extention. I THINK it's just C:\windows\hosts in Win 98.

Your windows directory might be named differently, though.

EDIT: This seems to work fine in IE. I tried it in Netscape, though, and it gives a pop-up that says "connection to adserver.gamesquad.net was refused", which is just as annoying. Not sure about the other browsers, but most of them can take of the ads on their own.

crono_logical
04-30-2003, 10:34 PM
127.0.0.1 works rather well if you really do have you own web server running on your PC, then you don't get those Connection refused messages, just a 404 where the ad should be (unless you happen to really do have a goofy URL in your web root :p )

Yamaneko
04-30-2003, 10:57 PM
I say, "live with it or get Phoenix."