PDA

View Full Version : if you have ever loved a pre-FF8 game, come here

Iori
04-30-2003, 06:58 PM
do you think that all the pre-FF8 games, should be remade with the technology of today... and would you buythem for ps2, if they did?? why, why not... (ignore the actual cost of ps2 games today.. dont even consider that part of your argumaent)

Shoyku
04-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Sure, I wouldn't mind having them re-made for the Playstation 2. Especially Final Fantasy VII, oooh baby. Though Final Fantasy IV - VII weren't 8-bit. xD

Iori
04-30-2003, 07:07 PM
true, but you know what i meant :p

Flying Mullet
04-30-2003, 07:07 PM
As long as their not 3D I don't mind. I always have the orginals to play if I don't like the remakes. I can't stand how all games are 3D these days. I enjoy my rpgs colorful and 2D. So I guess I'm old fashion.

Shoyku
04-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
As long as their not 3D I don't mind. I always have the orginals to play if I don't like the remakes. I can't stand how all games are 3D these days. I enjoy my rpgs colorful and 2D. So I guess I'm old fashion.
I agree in the fact that 2D colourful RPG's are amazing, though the thing with that is reviewers. If a PS2 RPG were to be released in full 2D, that would sink its review due to dated graphics.

DJZen
04-30-2003, 08:19 PM
2D not necesarily = dated. If you think about it, we've really only recently figured out how to use 2D to its full potential. With today's generation of systems, we could have a mind boggling number of sprites on screen and tons of effects. Think of it this way, what if they remade FFVI, but fully animated EVERYTHING. Every enemy with upwards of 150 frames of animation (standing position, moving over to attack, attacking, using special skill, casting spells, getting hit, dying, etc.) Imagine even MORE frames of animation than has ever been used in a sprite based game. Imagine animated background environments (we still don't get a whole lot of that in current FFs). Imagine spells so beautifully animated that you can actually stand watching them be cast over and over. Imagine enemy bosses giving speeches while you fight them, and actually watching them move while they talk. You see, it's not 2D that makes the games look "dated", it's the fact that they don't make very good use of the hardware's potential.

Flying Mullet
04-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Wow DJZen, your post there is making me weak in the knees. You just described my dream FF, namely FFVI all souped-up. One can only dream...

edczxcvbnm
04-30-2003, 08:27 PM
If I were rich I would try to buy every copy of FFVI that I could. Then buy some TV time so the country can watch me burn the games.

Pancaek
04-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Only if they do something like DJzen said. 3D is awful if it's only for graphics, and not actually taking advantage of the 3D-ness.

zacks_clone
04-30-2003, 11:46 PM
i only own 7 for a 'pre-ff8' game.I dont want it re-made.it woudnt FIT the game.the backgrounds were all made to FIT the small,cartoonish characters.Enen though for awhile the graphics drove me crazy,i have learned to live with it,and i love it like that.I dont think it should be re-made with better graphics

Reine
05-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Ug-grade FF7 certainly, but FF1-6 (Including MQ) should be updated for awesome 2D graphics with 3D battles and FMV sequences. Now THAT would be cool.

REMAKE FF3 AND FFMQ!!!
Not to mention release Tactics in NZ.

Iori
05-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by zacks_clone
i only own 7 for a 'pre-ff8' game.I dont want it re-made.it woudnt FIT the game.the backgrounds were all made to FIT the small,cartoonish characters.Enen though for awhile the graphics drove me crazy,i have learned to live with it,and i love it like that.I dont think it should be re-made with better graphics

there are plenty of current ps2 and xbox games that use anime style graphics.. who ever said they cant still be cartoonish

Yeargdribble
05-01-2003, 07:42 AM
I think remakes like Origins are pretty nice... when done tastefully I like it.

However a lot of your graphic junkies can't do without the FMVs ever 5 seconds and the super 3D environments. It's pretty sad. There are some great games before FFs hit PSX.

Now DJZen has a point... with the engine of the PS2 one could remake the 2D games with incredible animations. It's honestly something I've not seen. Right now it seems like cel-shading is the big thing to try. It's nice and different but how about the idea of sprite based graphics with the incredible processing power to make them come alive?

I don't think game play should be taking a backseat to graphics as it has in some of the past few games.