PDA

View Full Version : Whats the hardest FF you've played?

Iori
04-30-2003, 07:27 PM
for me, tactics is soooo greuling, but i cant help but fall in love with the cheesy cutscenes, and hopeless romantacism

Flying Mullet
04-30-2003, 07:34 PM
FFI was the hardest I've played when I first played it 12-13 years ago. At the time it seemed so challenging as it took me a couple of weeks or a month to beat it. Now though, after having played so many games you kinda learn the ropes and I don't have many problems with any of them. Unless it's a mini game like the lightning dodging in ffX; now that is a pain!

p.s. FFIV hardtype(the re-release) kept me on my toes a lot of the time.

Psychotic
04-30-2003, 07:59 PM
FFI and II were real pains, and FFIV PSX release(Like FM says - hardtype) is also hard.

FFII was probably the hardest, it was just an uphill battle the entire way through.

muchacho
04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
ff1 was the hardest in my case.

P.S how do you make ffIV hard on the PSX version?

Flying Mullet
04-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by muchacho marc
P.S how do you make ffIV hard on the PSX version?

If I remember correctly it is hard-type by default. If you ever played FFIV as FFII on the SNES it is always easy-type. Square "dumbed-down" the game for american audiences. Try playing one and then the other and you will notice the differences, which are huge: challenge, items and story to name a few.

DJZen
04-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah, they dumbed it down for Americans.... Then they dumbed it down even more for the Japanese. Don't ask me why, they just did. The easy version in Japan was called "FFIV Easytype", whereas the "hardtype" was just called "FFIV". The American version, which is somewhere between the two (albeit closer to easytype) is FF2A (I've gone Japan-centric! Go me!).

As for the hardest? Just look at my sig, it says all.

Imperia
04-30-2003, 08:51 PM
FF V was hard. FF IV was hard too, but it isn't really once you get the hang of it.

muchacho
04-30-2003, 09:26 PM
yeah FFIV was easyer as the snes version. i tried to play ff4 on the psx version and i was saying to myself
"why is this so hard?"

zacks_clone
04-30-2003, 11:58 PM
i only own ff7,8,and 9.10 comming soon hopfully....BUUUTTT out of thouse....8.i hate the way everything levels up

Reine
05-01-2003, 12:24 AM
I found FF 1,2 and 3 the hardest.

4 is also hard.

Iori
05-01-2003, 01:48 AM
uhmmm i was trying to think of a good place to post this... what the :skull::skull::skull::skull: are those female-lizard-looking-beasts in the grotto in FFIX... GOD DAMNIT THEY MAKE ME ANGRY!!!!!... i just got raped by one......it cast might on itself like 6 times, and then hit each of my ppl once, and they all died in 1 hit...... it was like 100 hp from drying too... damnit.... :mad2: :mad: :mad2: :mad: :mad2: :mad:

playaGAW
05-01-2003, 05:28 AM
FF5 I was stuck on that boss in the fireship for months.

Big D
05-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Seven was my first FF - nay, my first 'real' RPG - so it gave me the most excuses to hurl my controller and holler profanities at a perfectly innocent little TV. Sure, I find it easy NOW, but...

Sephex
05-01-2003, 07:21 AM
IV was easy. Even in 'hardtype'. That is a little unfair for me to say because it is my favorite one and I have played through it countless times.

To me the hardest one is FFII. I have not beaten it yet but it is giving me more trouble than any other one I played through(all but III and II-obviously).

Yeargdribble
05-01-2003, 07:31 AM
I would dare say that the ONLY people that don't find FF II to be the most difficult by far are the ones that have never played it.

FF II is very much the most difficult in the series. Having played them all I would rate the difficulty thusly.

FF II
FF I
FF III
FF IV
FF T
FF V
FF VI
FF VII
FF IX
FF X
FF VIII

Do we notice a trend here? :tongue:

Anyway... has anyone here played FF II and still thought another FF was harder?

Things that amplify it's difficulty is that fact that taking one step from the beaten path my result in your fighting monsters that are so much stronger than you that you can't hit them AT ALL and they can bludgeon you for 10x your max HP. It's very frustrating.

When looking for places on the map once you have the ship... make sure you don't land on the wrong continent because your first fight on that continent could be your last before having to reload.

You can spend hours leveling up your weapons and magics and still get your @$$ handed to you by creatures in the next dungeon.

FF I is mostly difficult because of the leveling you need to do at the beginning and the extreme lack of magic in the game... having the ability to cast your strongest spells very very little and having to worry about healing carefully to conserve magic is difficult.

FF III... good lord... you have to be the man to play that last part of this game with no save states. Going from the Sylx Tower straight to the end with a ridiculous number of boss fights in the middle and no saves... that is freakin' tough.

The rest just kinda fall in line with little difficulties.

ShadyMilkman
05-09-2004, 02:47 AM
I would dare say that the ONLY people that don't find FF II to be the most difficult by far are the ones that have never played it.

FF II is very much the most difficult in the series.
Amen.

Sefie1999AD
05-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I'll go through the FFs in order from hardest to easiest:

1. Final Fantasy IV (Hard Type) - I set the game's speed into fastest. Ouch, what a mistake. With the fastest speed, the enemies are so quick that the game is almost impossible to beat. I still couldn't beat Bahamut or Odin with reasonable levels without reducing the speed to at least normal. With the fastest speed, Bahamut counts from five to zero before you can even make your first move. Zeromus will use Big Bang every turn, and you've got to act quick and tell Rosa to cast Cure4 each round or you're a goner. The final battle was a huge challenge, but I eventually won it on the fastest speed. When I fought the battle again on normal speed, however, it was quite easy.

2. Final Fantasy V - The battle system is very flexible and allows you to make powerful characters, but the enemies are still powerful. There are lots of tough dungeons and hard enemies in the game. Shinryu, Omega and Neo-Exdeath are hard foes, that's for sure.

3. Final Fantasy Tactics - Sure, this game is hard and the battles are long, but I wouln't call this one impossible. I defeated it without too much difficulties, although I have to admit, some of the battles in Chapter 4 would have been near-impossible without Orlandu.

4. Final Fantasy - The first game in the series was actually a challenge. This one is quite hard to rate because by taking 4 White Mages or a Solo Thief you can make this the hardest FF ever. But even if we take a pretty reasonable party, the game is still quite hard. Ice Cave is one of the hardest FF dungeons for me.

5. Final Fantasy II - This one is also hard to rate. If you know how the system works, or if you exploit a couple of bugs like hit-yourself and action-cancel (they work in all NES, WSC and PSX versions for some reason), this game is relatively easy. However, if you don't, prepare to be constantly stuck in the game.

6. Final Fantasy III (j) - It's still quite challenging, and there are many tough enemies. The final dungeon is very hard because it takes you 2-3 hours to go through, you'll face loads of challenging bosses there and you can't even save inside the dungeon.

7. Final Fantasy X - I don't think this game was all that hard, but it could get annoying at times. With normal playing (without doing side-quests), the only tough bosses are Yunalesca and Braska's Final Aeon, but the side bosses are way harder.

8. Final Fantasy X-2 - Around the same level as FFX challenge-wise. Chapter 3 is quite hard, but then again, Chapters 4 and 5 are quite easy. Again, unless you go and fight the side bosses.

9. Final Fantasy IX - This can get tough at times, and some times the frequent random encounters can really wear out your party. However, it's not that hard when you level up. Moogle save points and Tents are there to help your party.

10. Final Fantasy VII - When I first played FF7, I got stuck with lots of bosses, like Demon Wall, Schizo, Safer Sephiroth etc, but now that I've played the game for a few times, those guys are quite easy. The game isn't all that hard, but Emerald and Ruby Weapon are tough challenges.

11. Final Fantasy VI - This is where things start to get way too easy. You have four characters, and about every move (except Esper and Item) can really beat the enemies. Use physical attacks, you'll win. Use techs that don't waste any MP (Drills, Blitzes, SwordTechs etc), you'll win. Use attack magic, you'll win. Use Cure to refill your HP and Osmose to refill your MP. Don't worry if you die in a dungeon - you'll return to the last save point with all the EXP you managed to get. This will eventually make you invincible. If that wasn't enough, use Vanish+[Doom or X-Zone], or use accessory combinations such as Offering/Genji Glove or Magic Box/Economizer.

12. Final Fantasy VIII - Hooray for total invincibility! If you can set your junctions right, you'll be so strong that nothing can hurt you, except maybe for Marlboros and Omega Weapon. Even if you can't set your junctions right, just use the auto-junctioning and let the game arrange your junctions so that you'll be invincible. Sure, you need to draw a lot in the beginning, but later you can refine all your great spells. GFs can be used for totally overkilling the enemies in the beginning, but I've noticed that my physical attacks get a lot stronger later in the game.

I can't rate FF: Mystic Quest because I haven't finished it yet, and it's been a few years since I even touched it.

Flashback007
05-09-2004, 11:24 AM
A top three:

1. Final Fantasy II: Damn leveling up system. I really hate it. That's what it makes so hard

2. Final Fantasy V: Very, very hard bosses. Especially when your not leveled up like I am.

3. Final Fantasy VIII: Maybe I have to shame myself for this, but it took me very very long to beat the game.

Ultima Shadow
05-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Top 3:
1: Final Fantasy II
2: Final Fantasy I
3: Final Fantasy V

Del Murder
05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
1. FFV
2. FFI
3. FFII

Felldoh
05-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics. One word. Velius.

aeris2001x2
05-10-2004, 08:59 PM
ff2 definitly wins. mostly because the game actually sucks your life force out of u and if u play 2 long u are sucked straight into hell, or at least drop dead. pure evil ff2 is i tell u!

escobert
05-11-2004, 04:00 AM
II was the hardest for me. tactics was easy cheesy. I beat it in notime. VII was hard at first but I've gotten it down to about 28 hours now after playing 244632656577234546256 times.

UltimateSpamGrover
05-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Final Fantasy II (Origins)
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy XI

Those three are the hardest.

MarceloX
05-14-2004, 05:58 AM
The hardest for me was FF1 for the NES with just 1 white mage and no other characters (you just kill off the other 3 and never revive them), also when I had the option to upgrade my class to a white Wizard, I didn't so the game would be more challenging.

Man, that was freakin' hard.

PhoenixAsh
05-14-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna make an odd comment and say VIII. I haven't played a few and I find VIII by far the easiest to walkthrough now, but if you don't then it can actually be a challenge (ish).

Alright that's a slight exaggeration, I think I got killed way more in the other FFs I played, but from what I know, VIII is the only FF that you don't win by simply spending more time levelling up. You actually have to understand the game for it to be easy, and can't just use the "Meet hard boss, go back and spend time fighting" approach.

Then again I just really like FFVIII's system :).

Polaris
05-14-2004, 02:07 PM
I've only played FF 8, but I saw the kind of game that was FF7 and FF9 and I must say that FF7, is very hard for me! I prefer FF8! :tongue:

Lamia
05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I beat all the Final Fantasies underleveled... so 8 was the EASIEST for me considering it was the only Final Fantasy where I came across
a dungeon of monsters that I needed to run away from constantly.

Final Fantasy 6 is pretty easy... Been beatin' the mess out of that
game since I was 9.

The first Final Fantasy I do not find difficult... I beat that game
when I was 7 (with my moms help ... I remember when we beat
garland... that was awesome) ... well anyway... I still play and beat
this game often... it's quite easy for me.

Final Fantasy 9 - often I would be in dungeons that have monsters
that kick my ass... at teh end of the game my characters were all
about the average level of 39.... however, I had no problems ...
I was only beaten by Necron once and by the Earth Guardian once...
But no other boss had a chance.

Now Final Fantasy 2 is agonizing ... THIS one is definitely the hardest.

Final Fantasy V is pretty easy in my opinion ... Final Fantasy 7 was
never difficult.

Final Fantasy 3... I agree ... is difficult.

But the most difficult Final Fantasy for me was Final Fantasy X...
I know you all are like - WTF? ... Well, I am so accustomed to
being able to customize a strategy in Final Fantasies it's what I rely on.
But nooo, in this game... if you don't have Hastega at a certain
period of time... you're screwed! The strategies for battles are incredibly FIXED! And the random monsters designed to that only
certain characters can pull reasonable damage on them.
And I also screwed up Tidus's sphere grid horifically and Tidus was
significantly weaker than the rest of the members of my party.
Although is still beat the game... Jecht was probably the only
battle where I didnt feel like I had to figure out a fixed strategy...
But yeah, ... I had Yuna use double ultima... Tidus use Hastega, Protect, and Quick Hit... we had items on that prevented being petrified so Jecht wouldnt do his Jecht Eye and totally screw up
the TURNS... which is another thing... being able to manage your turns
that you and the monster get is vital to a lot of boss battles. well, anyway... Final Fantasy X is so easy that I blasted through it until I was so behind that it was hard. I had JUST learned Hastega by the time I had access to fight Sin. ... Haha, okay, just call me an idiot.
But I was playing this game like I would every other FF... damn fixed strategies...

aeris2001x2
05-14-2004, 07:27 PM
lol there r plenty of ways 2 beat ffx. i mean there cant be fixed tactics if ppl can beat it without using the sphere grid.

Lamia
05-15-2004, 01:53 AM
lol there r plenty of ways 2 beat ffx. i mean there cant be fixed tactics if ppl can beat it without using the sphere grid.

That is true. But figuring out the fixed tactics makes it a lot easier
than doing your own thing. I figured that out by the end of the game.
Anyway.... people who beat it without the sphere grid struggled, and it was hard, I guarantee. It's not that the game was hard...
I was just really pissed at two bosses in the game to which if I had
Hastega the battle wouldn't of been crappy. Like the wyrm outside
of the airship... that was the only boss I was stuck on.
Anyway ... It's amazing that people beat it with the sphere grid...
wouldn't they have next to nothing HP? A lot of bosses have strong "take out" attacks (like 3rd time Seymours CROSS CLEAVE)...
But I dont know, some of the battles just felt like it had a certain
stategy that you had to figure out. Maybe I'm just dillusional!
Anyway I know you can beat FFX without following certain strategies...because I went through the first half of the game like that.
But by the end I took the route of trying to counter the bosses every move... which works extremely well. The bosses aren't really as random
as bosses from previous Final Fantasies. The bosses themself seem
to have a strategy and will take you out if you don't tango with them right. Although, still can be beaten even if acting carelessly or limited
by abilities. :)

black orb
05-21-2004, 03:36 PM
>>> FFT, and FF1..

cheer
05-21-2004, 04:31 PM
FF IV..O_O well it wasn't THAT obnoxiously impossible, but getting your team "promoted" to lyk the next job level was weh.=D FF7 cuz it was my frst ff and i hardly knew anything well enough to not come crawling to a save point to use a tent because i was outta mp (i was big on the magic =D) and everyone was hitting me with all sorts of evil status effects like CONFUSE, which made cloud twirl around and whack himself with his own sword. FF tactics was okay, esp. when i was stuck at gariland with ramza, delita, and no one else (my first)=D. :eek: also when your characters sorta 'suck' in lyk levels and stuf, then the play sucks.=D but i spose that would be the same banana in evry other game..so..weh

Armisael
05-24-2004, 12:07 PM
ffiv is the hardest ff i have ever played.the enemies,the bosses,they are all so difficult.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 04:34 AM
i take my previous vote back...ffIV easily wins. summons that kill u in 2 moves and bossess that cast doom and haste on your party so fast. this is just crazy...and if it did not have save points in dungeons like ff1-3...

Storm
06-02-2004, 05:58 AM
I have played FF's 4-10, and Final Fantasy V is hands down the toughest of the series.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 06:15 AM
not touched V yet but i,m so worried of its hardness now. maybe thats why ffVI is so easy...

Ultima Shadow
06-02-2004, 04:20 PM
I didn't think that FFV was that hard. Only Omega was something to worry about.

Jolts
06-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I've only played FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, and FFT. I didn't play enough of FFV or FFVI without cheating (GS), so I can't say about them. Out of the others, though, I say FFT was pretty difficult at first, but once you've played through it once, and know what's coming up, then you can plan through and strategize so it's not so hard to beat.

AaronD
06-04-2004, 04:19 AM
The rofftop fight in FFT...good old stop bracelet on those damn assassins...100% DEATH...that was annoying...other than that easy game...i wasted velius so easily...its called run an use accumulate during fight with wiegraf for awhile.

SpiritWolf
06-06-2004, 12:22 AM
FF VIII Stupid Adel

Kirobaito
06-06-2004, 01:52 AM
IV. Damn Zeromus, still can't beat 'im.

Seryn Kai
06-20-2004, 10:06 AM
FFIV. So far, it's the only FF with the possible exception of 3 or 4 fights in FFX that's actually challenged me. Don't get me worng, I love FF, it's just that most of them are too easy except for some of the super bosses. I haven't gotten round to playing 5, my copy of 6 won't work and I mean get round to use the CD repair kit I got for my birthday 2 weeks ago to fix it so I can play it. I haven't played 1-3 yet, I'll buy the first two on GBA when they're released (The PS Chronicles seems to have vanished here in the UK). FF Tactics on the PS never came out in the UK and I'm currently played Tactics Advance which is mildly challenging (I'm currently at the bit where you have to fight Amdremelech). FFIV, though, that's the hardest game I've played since Breath of Fire III. I STILL haven't beaten Zeromus, I want to get round to playing the game from the start (Do you see a pattern here?) so I can train my characters up better. I remember it took me a while to figure out how to beath Baigan and I recall the Dark Elf being particularly hard too.