PDA

View Full Version : Question About Masamune in CC

Dignified Pauper
05-02-2003, 12:56 PM
What happened to it to make it a cursed sword? Or the entities that embodied the sword evil? Any thoughts or facts? I couldn't find anything.

edczxcvbnm
05-02-2003, 03:52 PM
I don't think the sword was ever 'cursed' or anything. I think it has always been that way. It brings out what you desire most to happen. In CT Frog wanted to take down Magus most so you didn't notice a difference in his attitude.

Velvet Mink
05-02-2003, 04:42 PM
No one knows how it turned evil =(

You'll have to wait for a sequel to find out, but in the meantime all that's known is that the spirits Masa and Mune were "put to sleep" for a time so they were unable to regulate the use of the sword and test potential new users. With them temporarily out of commission someone used the sword to kill the innocent. Then it was taken to El Nido. Boom, that's it.

Most people assume a bad guy used it for evil purposes. The sword amplifed this negative sentiment which deformed it into the jagged red sword we see in CC. Know one knows who took it (it's NOT Lynx, btw).

Spatvark
05-02-2003, 05:04 PM
In 1005 AD, the Masamune is stolen from Guardia Castle. In 1006 AD, Porre wipe the floor with the kingdom of Guardia. Coincidence? NOT LIKELY!

So, let's take it point by point:

The Masamune is not exactly evil. It amplifies the emotions of its owner. That's why Radius killed Garai with it; he was overcome with his jealousy of constantly being belittled by Garai. Dario was overcome because he always felt inferior to his father and unfit to carry on his legacy; this anger at himself was turned outwards, focusing onto Riddel.

When someone who's innately good becomes the owner of the Masamune, the Masamune amplifies their goodness. So, when Dario is defeated, and Serge takes possession of the fabled blade, it becomes a weapon of good.

Since Masa and Mune, the two components of the blade are innately neutral, they can be both evil and good; their affinity relies upon the owner of the blade. However, Doreen joins up with them to form the Mastermune; Doreen is far more 'advanced' than Masa and Mune, meaning she can control the weapons affinity, and thus keep it good for the rest of eternity.

The reason the Masamune gave off an aura of evil when Radius and Serge enter the gateway to the Sea of Eden was because it was in the timeline where Dario was still alive. Therefore, the Masamune still had an owner whose evil had been amplified. The Masamune was thus also 'evil' at the time.

When Dario is defeated, Masa and Mune say that they had no idea what they were doing, but they get the feeling that it had been bad. In other words, it wasn't them "being mischievous" or anything like that, they were overpowered by Dario's feelings of hatred.

As for Frog wielding it in CT, well... Yes, he was a whiny bitch, sulking in his hole. He was full of hatred and rage towards Magus and also himself. But the thing is, the Masamune he wields at first is not the true Masamune. It only becomes so when he complete's the Hero's Grave sidequest; visiting Cyrus' tombstone. I can't remember the actual dialogue between Masa and Mune, but the gist of it is that the power of the sword comes forth from the power of its wielder. At this point, Frog IS pure, whether by killing Magus at the North Cape, or letting him live; either way, he is pure, and therefore the Masamune becomes as I mentioned earlier.

And in lieu of arguments I've had on this subject on other fora, the PSX ending in New Game+ is setup for Chrono Cross. Therefore, all that happens in New Game+, has already happened in Chrono Cross. Therefore that timeline is correct.

I think that's it on this subject...

Velvet Mink
05-03-2003, 12:28 AM
In 1005 AD, the Masamune is stolen from Guardia Castle. In 1006 AD, Porre wipe the floor with the kingdom of Guardia.

They both happened in the same year, 1005...

Spatvark
05-03-2003, 02:52 AM
You sure? Mweh; it doesn't matter that much, but I was SURE that the Fall of Guardia was in 1006 AD. In fact, you're the first person to ever disagree with me on that point...

Would help if I'dve actually seen the PSX ending =P

playaGAW
05-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the Masamune in Another World? I don't remember if the game said anything about. It doesn't really make since that all thosre people from the other dimension knew about the Masmune and its fate in Home World.

edczxcvbnm
05-03-2003, 06:25 AM
It happened in 1005 Purgatory. I remember it well because I was attempting to translate the text of it before the game was ever talked about being released over here. It say 'In the same year the legendary sword Grand Lion was stolen'... or something like that. It say same year. It looks like it was swiped after the fall of Guardia also from the look of things.