PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help

PhoenixAsh
05-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but does anyone know how to uninstall programs from DOS? This is really important. Actually step by step from turning on the power needed because I'm useless with it, thanks.

Spatvark
05-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Unnstall programs from DOS? You just delete them. However, this will still leave traces of the program in teh Windows Registry, which you can delete by going through it, but that's a lot of hassle.

First things first, to get into true DOS mode, you'll need either a Boot Disk, or preferably to press F8 repeatedly after it finishes performing the IDE check on startup (If you're using Win98SE or lower).

I'll assume that a) you have later than 98SE, and b) the program you want to delete is in C:\Program Files\

1) DOS can only support names of up to EIGHT characters long. Therefore, names like Program Files has to be shortened to PROGRA~1.

2) First thing to do is type C:

3) now type cd PROGRA~1

4) type dir /w /p

5) Look for teh folder name of the program you wish to delete. It wil probably be shortened into teh 8 charater ~ format.

6) Type deltree (insert folder name here)

7) et voilá! The folder should be deleted... I think. It's been a while since I did this. Instead of just following my directions right off, you may want to wait for crono_logical to give some input on this matter as well =P