PDA

View Full Version : XP Home vs Professional

Leeza
05-04-2003, 12:04 AM
I'm currently using Windows ME, but it keeps crashing on me and I keep getting the KERNEL32 errors and all sorts of other errors, so I want to go to a new OS. I would like to know the main differences between Home and Professional. If anyone here is using either of these right now, could they please give me their opinions, and whether or not they are happy with what they have?

Yamaneko
05-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Differences between Home and Pro. (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp)

I have XP Pro and I enjoy using it. It's good because it's the most compatible with most of the new software. And it hasn't crashed on me in almost a year since I got a valid CD key. I recommend it.:)

Erdrick Holmes
05-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Get XP pro, it's better.

Oh btw anyone ever hear of Windows 2003? Its like 2000 in almost every way but more organized and get this you'll never see a blue screen of death again.

It's gonna be a red screen instead

Dr Unne
05-04-2003, 12:11 AM
One difference is the registration process. Home has a draconian registration process which limits the number of times you can install it. If you have to format your HD one day or even if you change a piece of hardware Windows can decide that you're a thief and not let you install it any more. Professional isn't quite so bad from what I know. Professional lets you use NTFS filesystem which is a bit better than FAT32. I don't know if Home lets you use NTFS or not, but it's no big deal. There are very few other differences that I know of, other than a huge price difference. I have Pro and I was pretty happy with it, but I got it for free. I'd never pay for it.

Big Ogre Umaro
05-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Home allows NTFS, which made my life a little better when I found that out. I'm waiting to have a problem with the registration thingy before I can comment on that, but I don't plan on modifying or reformatting any time soon, so y'know.

All-in-all, I rather like it. The OS crashed ONCE in four months, which is more than I expected this early but much less than any other version of Windows I've used. It's got some cute features and fun times, y'know.

Dr Unne
05-04-2003, 01:15 AM
XP is definitely way better than any other version of Windows I used, I'll give it that. Much much less crash-prone.

Leeza
05-04-2003, 02:27 AM
<i>And it hasn't crashed on me in almost a year since I got a valid CD key.</i> - Yamaneko

What's a CD key?

I guess they both sound good, but looking at the differences between Home and Pro, it doesn't look like I'd need any of the extra features of the Pro version. I guess I have to weight the registration thingie over how much the cost difference will be between the two versions to make my decision.

Yamaneko
05-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Leeza
What's a CD key?
The registration key that comes with the retail version of Windows XP. If you have an invalid key and you try to install the service pack update, it'll disable Windows. I had to find a valid key (it's a string of like 25 numbers), then edit some file in the registry and enter the new key so I could update Windows. That's what I get for not buying Windows, it's worth it though (no pun intended).:p

Erdrick Holmes
05-04-2003, 06:24 AM
The disc that came with my Windows XP pro had keys with it is it possbile for keys to expire? Is there a possbile way for me to change the key and how?

Dr Unne
05-04-2003, 05:59 PM
<i>That's what I get for not buying Windows, it's worth it though (no pun intended).</i> --Yamaneko

Buying? You mean "renting". Even if you pay for a license, you don't own Windows, you rent it and you get to use it until MS tells you you can't any longer. Pretty soon MS will be instituting a policy where you have to renew your license every year. At least for businesses, not sure for home users or not, but probably. You don't own your software.

crono_logical
05-04-2003, 10:24 PM
I use XP Pro too. Win2k with service pack 3 is nice too though, and much faster than XP, but it's not as compatible with older stuff than XP. I've got a copy of Win2k3, but yet to install and test it out, but from what I've heard, that's just as slow if not slower than XP, and awkward to configure to a usable state for normal users :p

If you get a legit copy of WinXP, no, the key on the case shouldn't ever expire, although you'll have to "activate" Windows still, I believe (activation isn't something I know much about though ;) )

I've had XP crash on me a few times the past 1 1/2 years, but that's usually due to me overloading the system (memory-wise, not amount of programs-wise since I run 30 odd things at once including emulators with no problem) by trying to do too much at once after having the PC on and being constantly used for weeks on end anyway - so yes, it's far more stable then other Windows I've tried (except 2k, which I don't know too much about) :p

Dr Unne
05-05-2003, 02:10 AM
When is Windows 2003 or Longhorn or whatever it's called coming out? I think 2004. Maybe you should wait for that, Leeza. Or not. I don't know what that'll be like. It'd be terrible to pay for XP and then have to pay for 2003 right away.

Yamaneko
05-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Yeah, Longhorn looks promising. Supposedly you'll be able to use software (games specifically) right out of the box without installing them. It's due out Fall 2004.

Shlup
05-05-2003, 02:18 AM
You people talk as if you can't get both for free.

Dr Unne
05-05-2003, 02:38 AM
I can get them LEGALLY for free from college, but I don't know if Leeza wants to become a thief like the lot of us.

Leeza
05-05-2003, 07:31 AM
I guess if I really tried I could have gotten it for free, but I just went and paid for the Home upgrade. Bill Gates needs the money you know. :) The Professional was almost double the price so I didn't think that it was worth it. Windows 2003 might be okay, but I don't think that I want to wait till Fall of 2004 for a new OS and I think that XP will be just fine for what I need.

When I bought Home, they told me that once I installed it I would have 30 days to activate it or Windows would just quit working until I did. They don't care if you don't register, but you have to activate it. Oh well. I could reformat and use the key as many times as I wanted to though. Thanks for the help. :)

crono_logical
05-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Reformatting that often is a hassle :D

Dr Unne
05-06-2003, 02:48 AM
I thought the activation also required online verification, not just the registration. I don't think you can use the key as many times as you like. Unless I'm completely wrong about it.

crono_logical
05-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Activation itself requires online verification or a phone call, so MS knows how often that particular copy has been installed. As for the key itself, if you do a clean format each time round, it has no way itself of knowing that it was used already (either on the same PC or elsewhere) so can be used over and over with that particular CD, which is what activation is for to track that instead. I'm not sure if the activation key needed if you reinstall over the same hardware configuration will change since I don't know if the code you need to tell MS to get the activation key is partially randomly generated (since it's partially dependant on the hardware configuration) or not for each install.

Dr Unne
05-06-2003, 03:44 AM
So far as I know, it somehow hashes your hardware configuration during install. I don't know what all goes into generating the hash though. It might be semi-random. I don't know if formatting would change the hash. So far as I understand, MS's server keeps track of all the hashes that each install (for each CD) generates, and after a certain max number of hashes (3?) the CD refuses to activate ever again, though if you call MS and beg they may let you. However / whether it works, I don't care, it's a load of crap. If you add RAM, or one of your drives dies and needs to be replaced, Windows may refuse to install. Always nice when companies treat their customers like criminals.

The copy of XP Pro I have doesn't activate at all and doesn't even need a key, so I really have no idea. Yay for Linux anyways.

Leeza
05-06-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by crono_logical
Reformatting that often is a hassle :D
I'd like to just be able to do it once. :) I installed without formatting first, because the book said that ALL existing files would be deleted, but they weren't. Now it's not letting me reformat. It always says that the volume is in use, even though I closed down all the programs I could see. Could you tell me how to format so that I can get rid of all my old files? It's not necessary, but I really want to start fresh.

Yamaneko
05-06-2003, 04:48 AM
Since you got the XP upgrade (right?) and not the full, you're going to have to install ME again and then upgrade to XP.

When I changed my activation key while I was running Windows, I didn't have to use online verification. I just used http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/articles/changeID.htm
to change my key.

Leeza
05-06-2003, 04:58 AM
I've already converted my files to NTFS so I can't go back FAT32, which is what ME was, I think.

crono_logical
05-06-2003, 05:28 AM
It's not letting you format because Windows itself is running on that volume :D You need to reformat during the installation itself, which may not be possible with an upgrade - although like you said, since WinME can't use NTFS, you can do that full format during WinME's full install instead. Clean install of XP (needs full version) is more stable than an upgrade from a previous version Windows in any case, especially from ME :p Plus it's faster since converting a FAT32 drive to NTFS causes nice fragmentation - you might want to at least defragment if you don't intend to reinstall again :p

Leeza
05-06-2003, 05:44 AM
It was supposed to reformat itself. It has two ways of installing the upgrade. The <i>Quick upgrade</i> if you want to keep your existing files and the <i>New Installation</i> if you <b>don't</b> want to keep your existing files. There's a warning that says: <i>a new installation deletes all programs or system files from a previous installation.</i> So, I figured that I didn't have to bother to reformat before I installed XP.

I'm going to try and go through the whole installation process again to see if there is maybe something that I missed, but I can't see why it won't let me reformat even if Windows is running. *is not computer smart*

Dr Unne
05-06-2003, 03:59 PM
If it let you format while Windows was running, it'd crash in a terrible manner when it was done because all the programs running in memory that expect a hard drive to be there would start doing crazy stuff. You should be able to boot to DOS by hitting F8 while it boots and picked Command Prompt. If that doesn't work, if you have a DOS boot disk somewhere you can use that to boot off a floppy. If you boot from a floppy there'll definitely be nothing to stop you from formatting.

Since you already have it in NTFS form though, you might have trouble, because DOS can't even read NTFS drives. You might have to use fdisk instead and delete the main partition instead of formatting it, then remake a new partition. At work, when people had NTFS drives and wanted to format, we always had trouble. I hope you get it all sorted out.

If you just can't format the thing, the next best thing is to delete all the files manually. From DOS, deltree * might do the trick. Or del * or something. That might miss hidden / system files though. Delete your entire Windows directory and your entire Program Files directory, and since you already installed XP, delete Documents and Settings. Also c:\temp, if it exists, and everything in the c:\ directory itself, and c:\RECYCLER. You should be fine to reinstall then, those are the only places Windwos should put files during install

Leeza
05-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Brian. That's what I did. I went into bios and set the CDRom to be the first boot device. Then I went through the whole installation process again, but this time I deleted the old partition that had all of the old files on it and created a new one for XP to install on. I found a <i>Step-by-step Guide to Installing Windows XP</i> and it seemed to work. Everything seems to be running smoothly (so far) and my hard drive is totally empty. :)

Dr Unne
05-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Glad to hear it. Luckily you only have to do this once, then you can forget about it.

Leeza
05-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Let's hope that's right. :)