PDA

View Full Version : Which do YOU prefer?

EveningCross
05-04-2003, 04:54 AM
I was just wondering, after playing FFVII again I wanted to know which you all prefer more... The battle system of FFVI or FFVII. Things such as in FFVI when you get poisoned during a battle, after the battle you'll still be poisoned and if you don't have a cure you have to walk around like you're on an acid trip or do you like FFVII's version where you just go back to normal after battles? It doesn't have to be about just those things but also things like how tents and potions affect you in and out of battles and so forth... What's your opinion?

Enigma
05-04-2003, 05:07 AM
This should be in the General Final Fantasy Forum...but since I haven't played much of FFVI, I'll say FFVII's way.

Pancaek
05-04-2003, 05:23 AM
The materia system was interesting, but I like how FF6 and all the ones before it made you keep your status effects after battles. It made you think ahead and actually buy curative items before heading out into dungeons. The newer FF's spoil you too much.

Mr. Graves
05-04-2003, 12:47 PM
FF6's system was better. Challenge, Yay!

Linus
05-04-2003, 04:09 PM
FF6 was fine, but FF7 was nearly the same.

In FF7 you still had to cure sadness and hyper and all those wonderful status ailments. In every FF I always stock 5 or 10 of every status cure. They're not particularly expensive.

EveningCross
05-04-2003, 10:52 PM
True you do have to cure those types of ailments in FFVII but I know that there were plenty of times when I was just lazy and didn't and I didn't really notice any change in the battles. I mean I know that certain ailments do affect your spirit, strength, luck and so forth but the game never seemed to get any harder. With FFVI though (if I remember correctly) if you were poisoned in one battle and didn't take care of it, when you started the next battle you'd still be losing HP and eventually your character would croak. To me, that makes the game a little harder and more interesting, not to mention realistic. Some parts you don't want to be realistic but you also don't want the game to be too easy to breeze through the first, second or tenth time around. I'm not knocking FFVII... this is just an observation.

Kayin
05-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Graves
Agreed.

PhoenixAsh
05-05-2003, 12:10 AM
I liked VII's better, it was a lot more flexible and creative. I don't like being told what my character's can and can't do and simply hacking away at enemies till I learn everything.

As for poison I never really saw a challenge, more a 'dammit, I'm sick of having to open that ****ing menu over and over along with all these random battles'.

Kurohime
05-05-2003, 02:34 AM
I think my preference is starting to lean towards FF6... as much as I love FF7, but for the reason that I got too used to the specialized "class-based" battle system, where each character had a special set of skills. Makes things a little more fun/challenging.

Not to mention Tidus never appreciated that I made him a Lulu but the end of FF10... and Cloud is my almight WHITE MAGE!!!! ... *blinks* That just dispelled any tough-guy image I had of him now.

Eh-heh.

Anyhoo... I also do like the challenge of having the status effects staying on you. I still remember th first time I got poisoned in FF6 and I was wondering why my screen would get screwed up when I moved.... :D

President Drummer
05-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by EveningCross
.....With FFVI though (if I remember correctly) if you were poisoned in one battle and didn't take care of it, when you started the next battle you'd still be losing HP and eventually your character would croak.....

and also as you walked around you lost hp...like every 3 steps you lost a little or something like that

I agree with Mr. Graves and Kayin

Flying Mullet
05-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Graves

Originally posted by Kayin
Agreed.

I'll third that. It gave the game that extra feel of realism. Half the time in games now if you die in battle you'll be ok after the battle's over. What's up with that?