PDA

View Full Version : Overclocked harddrive (I think)

Erdrick Holmes
05-05-2003, 02:50 AM
I have 2 six gig harddrives and I was gonna stripe them together. But when I got them the second one won't work. Even if you connect power to it not parts inside move, I think that harddrive was overclocked (I bought both of them used) is there anyway I can repair it?

crono_logical
05-06-2003, 02:25 AM
If only 6 GB, I'd suspect getting a new one would be by far cheaper :p If you want to stripe or RAID drives, you need to make sure they're identical exactly, including speed, exact size, and internal structure, so usually means you need identical makes from the same manufacturer.

I don't know of a way to repair HDs manually though, nor would I think it's worth opening one up for such repair, since you lose the vacuum inside it hence making it not work as well anyway.

Dr Unne
05-06-2003, 03:38 AM
Why in the world would you need RAID? Are you doing things that are that sensitive that you don't want to lose? Just buy a new one, like c_l said. 100G drives are probably less than $100 now.

Red Wizard
05-06-2003, 04:03 AM
Depending on the level, some RAID setups can be much faster that single harddrives (which is especially important to performance gamers who hope to play Doom 3).