PDA

View Full Version : How bad was FF:TSW?

edczxcvbnm
05-05-2003, 05:53 PM
I thought it was a horrible movie and one of the worst I have ever seen...maybe not that bad but it was close.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
05-05-2003, 05:59 PM
It was almost almost good.

Night_Sword
05-05-2003, 10:45 PM
OMG!@$!^! How can you say that. Best movie EVER! Bordering on the lines of such greatness as Pokemon (The movie) and the neverending story.

Kurohime
05-06-2003, 01:02 AM
Dude, man... I LOVED the movie. :P Seriously.

I just have the feeling that if it HADN'T been called Final Fantasy, we wouldn't be bashing it so much. Then again... would any of us had seen it if it wasn't called Final Fantasy?

Grr... *goes to harass Roy again*

Anyway, I liked TSW.

crono_logical
05-06-2003, 02:51 AM
It was almost good :p Graphics were a plus side to it, even though it cost Square a lot :p Although we'll might be seeing games on the PS2 or maybe PS3 with similar graphics sometime soon anyway :p

Prodigy
05-07-2003, 11:56 AM
I thought it was a great film.

Blackmage
05-07-2003, 01:23 PM
The only good it did was raised the standard of computerized graphics. I must say that Sid looked pretty close to being real. Other than that though... Meh. I'd much rather see...darn near anything than this.

I still think that Square should've made one of the FF's into a movie for this instead of TSW. It would've been muuuuch much better.

crono_logical
05-07-2003, 05:56 PM
FFs have too much storyline to cram into a film, I feel, plus you lose the interactivity and probably much of the soundtrack from the game too :p

Sephex
05-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Ha ha ha! Why the hell didn't you tellme about this thread! I will vote...it was almost good. I thought it was...kind of bad but if they made some adjustments to the movie it would of been cool.

Big D
05-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Instead of "Final Fantasy", it should've been called "Final Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction" (let's hope it's the final one of those, too), because that's all it was, except for some downplayed spiritual overtones which were lost on many audiences.

Virtually no 'fantasy' in it. Unoriginal plot, unoriginal soundtrack, unoriginal movie in virtually every way, relying on the animation to sell tickets.

The FF games demonstrate that Sakaguchi can write and direct some very original stuff. Shame he couldn't be bothered doing so for the big screen.

I think I know the biggest problem, though. With TSW, they'd planned to create a realistic simulation of lifelike characters. Something original, different from other movies. However, during production, Sakaguchi kept dogging the animators, insisting that the characters and scenes look like they're from a 'real movie' - not 'real life', but as artificial and airbrushed as regular cinematic fare. Instead of simulating real life, TSW simulates a simulation - the artificial worlds created by Hollywood. That's why it was doomed to critical failure. All the 'movie' traits are there - characters with perfect hair and skin (even after life-threatening calamities underground), pointless lens flare effects (mimicing an inherent fault in real-life cameras), and lacklustre directing which was made to look as though the camera was limited by gravity, pulleys, physical constraints which apply in the real world.

There was so much potential to be revolutionary, but it was squandered. An original plot, world and style would've helped to no end.
Sadly, it wasn't to be - instead we just got a computer-generated replica of something we've seen too many times.

Shadowdust
05-14-2003, 07:18 AM
I thought it was a great movie. Different things are good to different people. What more can I say?

Prodigy
05-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Some interesting points Big D and I agree to an extent.

Nevertheless I don't think that story was THAT unoriginal. It hasn't really been overdone. It was enjoyable to watch and that's what makes a good film imo.

Also the soundtrack - it's absolutely fantastic. I went out and bought it quite recently and have listened to it a LOT.

Boko Mog
05-15-2003, 12:38 AM
It was ok. I didn't really like it that much. The animation was good of course, but the story was lacking strongly.

Big D
05-15-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Prodigy
Some interesting points Big D and I agree to an extent.

Nevertheless I don't think that story was THAT unoriginal. It hasn't really been overdone. It was enjoyable to watch and that's what makes a good film imo.

Also the soundtrack - it's absolutely fantastic. I went out and bought it quite recently and have listened to it a LOT. I actually liked the film, and its story and soundtrack, I just feel that it could've been so much better if they'd only tried. Instead of being "brilliant", it was just "OK", something that won't stand out from the crowd too much.

Garland
05-16-2003, 07:35 AM
It's a good movie, but a bad Final Fantasy. Some people go on about the philosophical things that define a "Final Fantasy". Sakaguchi and co do it in the DVD extras. That's fine, for an elite few, most of whom are Square employees. Unfortunately, Square assumed too much of its audience. Most of us aren't deep. We didn't go to the theater to be enlightened on Sakaguchi's thoughts on spirituality. We wanted to see moogles, chocobos, a lead with a sword big enough to evoke Freudian comments, and a little bit of magic. We got none of that. TSW is an above average space drama, with alot in common with the Alien franchise. It could have done well to advertise itself as one. To do otherwise would be like making Star Wars Episode 3, and titling it Lord of the Rings 3. Two totally different things. Sure, both were epic, but you're just going to anger everyone.

Big D
05-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Garland
It's a good movie, but a bad Final Fantasy. We wanted to see moogles, chocobos, a lead with a sword big enough to evoke Freudian comments, and a little bit of magic. We got none of that. Truer words have seldom been spoken.:)

Prodigy
05-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Speak for yourself, I wanted to see a beautifully rendered woman with tight fitting costume :D

edczxcvbnm
05-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Virtually no 'fantasy' in it.

Do you even know what fantasy means? Do you even know what fantasy involves? Please explain before I shut you down...fool!

Big D
05-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Of course I know what fantasy is... it's just that TSW was dominated by science fiction rather than fantasy. Sure, FFVII and VIII were set in technologically advanced worlds, but they still contained more genuine fantasy. Even TSW's 'spirit energy' was treated as a scientific concept, kinda like Hojo did with Mako, whereas that particular force had plenty of 'supernatural' properties. TSW, on the other hand, dealt purely in science (fiction) concepts.

All I meant was that 'Final Fantasy' was something of a misnomer since fantasy was a subservient genre to science fiction in TSW.

edczxcvbnm
05-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Umm...just so you know Sci-Fi is a form of Fantasy. It breaks down like this dude

Fantasy:

Medevil...wizardy and stuff
Sci-Fi...and futuritic stuff

FF: The crap within was very much so in the relm of Fantasy. You just don't know what the word means.

fan·ta·sy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fnt-s, -z)
n. pl. fan·ta·sies
The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.
Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.

Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.
An example of such fiction.
An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
Music. See fantasia.
A coin issued especially by a questionable authority and not intended for use as currency.
Obsolete. A hallucination.

Link (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Fantasy)

Big D
05-17-2003, 08:42 AM
So unlike you to quibble over pedantic lexical details.

Shall I make my point just that little bit more clear?

TSW posessed very few of the supernatural-based fantastic elements commonly associated with the FF games. It DID posess strong sci-fi based fantasy elements, but I prefer to distinguish science fiction and fantasy from one another for purposes of comparison.

I think of Star Wars, for example, as both science-fiction and fantasy, due to the blend of elements.

Prodigy
05-17-2003, 11:00 AM
I agree with Big D to an extent.

Although Sci-Fi and Fantasy are similar and there's a certain amount of crossover that doesn't mean people have quite clear ideas of what each represents.

E.g. Star Trek = pure Sci-Fi (awful Sci-Fi I might add).
Never-ending story (I can't think of any examples at the moment!) is fantasy. Very different.

edczxcvbnm
05-17-2003, 03:36 PM
I thought we just got done going over that Science Fiction is Fantasy.

Star Trek is a Fantasy.
Never Ending Story is a Fantasy.
Blue Flavored Mountain Dew is a Fantasy.

Pretty much if it does not exist, then it is a fantasy. You can't distinguish Sci-fi from Fantasy because Sci-fi IS Fantasy. It is like saying.

That is not an emoticon. It is a smily.

Well...a smily is a type of Emoticon.

Sephex
05-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Yeah, th emovie was pretty poorly done. The only reason I put it was almost good because that was the closest thing to mu opinion.

Even if it was like the games, and had the same plot and everything, it still would have sucked.

I am so tired right now.

Prodigy
05-18-2003, 01:29 AM
Sci-Fi is not Fantasy. Not in my eyes anyway. I would imagine that most people who claim to like or have watched/read/listened to either genre would have some kind of distinction between the two in their minds.

In that case it doesn't matter what you think - there IS a distinction if people choose for there to be one.

Big Ogre Umaro
05-18-2003, 03:57 AM
In fiction, there IS a distinction between Sci-fi and Fantasy. There just is. They may be under the same umbrella of "Stories that are not entirely based on things that could happen in real life," but they are different if you want to be specific about it, and not THAT specific, either. Like, there are still many more sub-genres of Sci-Fi, like Hard...and that's the only one that I can think of right now because y'know.

That being said, the movie would have been eighty thousand times better if it wrere titled simply "The Spirits Within" and billed as a Sci-Fi flick from Square. Even if on EVERY commercial, it was advertised "From the Makers of Final Fantasy," or titled like "Sakaguchi's The Spirits Within" or something. heh. Well y'know okay bye

Silent Warrior
05-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Hm, yes, it would've been nicer if it didn't have that 'Final Fantasy' stuck at the other end. As for how bad it was, all I can say for sure is that I liked it better than Matrix.

Leigha
06-21-2003, 03:09 AM
LOVED IT!!!! great movie. I think a big reason why a lot of people didn't like it much is because it's hard to understand. I really didn't get it until my 3rd or 4th time watching it! the ending is soooooo sweet! it's really sad though :cry: ... the one part... where she has the last dream, where she finds the final spirit... she's pregnant!!!! you have to watch... but remember the part in the movie, where umm... she and the guy get friendly up in space.... well... when they're down in the pit, and she has the last dream where she's getting attacked by the phantom... one of it's tentacle/feeler thingies touches her abdomen, and then it turns blue, the only way that can happen is with a new life... and it wasn't just akki, because she was the first spirit, right??? well...... that's what i got out of it not sure if i needed to do that or not, but if some of you haven't watched the movie yet..... then.... well.... :S

Blathnaid
06-23-2003, 06:11 PM
I agree that it would have done better if not for the words "Final Fantasy" in the title. I think that's why most people didn't like the movie. It was labled with the name "Final Fantasy", so people had high expectations on what it was supposed to be. Only to have it not be what they wanted. If "Final Fantasy" had been left off, then it might have done better than it did. I just did so poorly because some many fans of the FF series were let down.

As just a Sci-Fi movie, it was good. But as a Final Fantasy, it was pure and utter crap.

I have come to hate this movie with a passion.

Blackmage
06-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Silent Warrior
As for how bad it was, all I can say for sure is that I liked it better than Matrix.
*blinks* *blinks again*

You LIE!!!!!

Silent Warrior
06-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't dream of lying to YOU. :) Matrix just didn't agree with me.

Ultima Seraph
07-04-2003, 08:02 AM
The movie was not what I was exactly expecting, but nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

I think that's where most FF fans have trouble... it wasn't what they expected...

Mr. Graves
07-07-2003, 07:58 PM
For what it was, a CG Animation movie, I did its job of showing off what it can do. Plot-wise though, It was you're run of the mill sci-fi story. I enjoyed it, but it could have been better.

Rase
08-19-2003, 08:27 PM
The main plus was the graphics. And the music. But the problem was the story was just... well yeah. And if ya don't have a good story, game or movie, it makes it flawed. But for what it was, it did it well.

Xydane
08-19-2003, 11:15 PM
I don't care what anybody says, I liked that movie.

Kenshin IV
08-24-2003, 03:33 AM
It was not a bad movie at all. Taking it for what it was, it was quite enjoyable. Not terrific, but enjoyable. It was great for its visuals, which was the whole point. To see something never seen on the big screen before. The story was flawed, but not bad. It was really just there as a side-dish to the movies amazing sights.
Anyone who was looking for something as epic as any of the games was really fooling themselves. No RPG can be transfered onto the big screen, it just can't happen. Why would you want it to? The Spirits Within was never, not at any point, meant to be anything like the games. The main purpose of the name "Final Fantasy" was just to capitalize on the games successes.

Loony BoB
09-02-2003, 11:27 AM
I dunno, I think it was very much like the Final Fantasy games. The ending sucked.

lemonation
09-29-2003, 04:29 AM
AS a Movie, it was almost good. As a Final Fantasy Movie, it was the big ****up in history. Also note my FF experience is three games. I still know it sucked. Like a straw. Taped to a black hole. And, um, an elephant... i'll just shut up now.

Kindo
09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Exactly, I'd expect more of a movie having Final Fantasy in its title, but it was kinda cool to watch and not too shabby. Almost good.

razor248725
10-08-2003, 10:53 AM
it was quite bad. i was looking so forward to seeing it and after i saw it i was like 'wtf?! this sucked!!' i didnt understand it properly but thats coz i only saw it once. the graphics are the best i have ever seen, too bad it was such a waste of money coz i heard that it costs like 1million dollars for like 2 second of footage. but i need the story explained to me.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
it was great...... I dont have a narrow minded opinion of what Final Fantasy means......SO far there isn't a Story I havent liked from any of the games or movies......Although there are games I didn't like because of the gameplay.

TSW was very original IMO and I wish it had at least been profittable for Square so that they would have made more Movies.