PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Unne=Cid?

Fredde
05-07-2003, 11:24 AM
As we all know, Cid never showed up in FF1. But I have a growing suspicion that the famous Dr.Unne was a "prototype" for Cid. Here's my arguments:

Unne obviously has a quite high self-esteem (and he should have!), and I believe that most of the Cids I have seen in any FF this far has that too.

Of course, Unne is obviously a language genius (teaching the Light Warriors the ancient language Lefeinish in a second with only an old slab is quite amazing if you ask me), and Cid is an engineering genius, but the fact that they're very good at what they do is very similar.

Unne has an important role to play in FF1, and so does Cid in most FFs.

The title "Dr" is used on Cid some times (in FF5 for example).

Well, what do you think?

Bob the Elf
05-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Good theory, was there an Unne/Cid in FF2 though?

Fredde
05-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Well, if you are talking about the japanese FF2 there was Cid the airship pilot, and in case of FF4 there was the famous engineer Cid.

Flying Mullet
05-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Fredde
Well, if you are talking about the japanese FF2 there was Cid the airship pilot, and in case of FF4 there was the famous engineer Cid.

He's talking about he original Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy I.

Bob the Elf
05-07-2003, 06:21 PM
NO, I was talking about the japanese FF2, I didn't think that anyone hear still bothered putting a J after it.

Edit: Oh, I know that Fredde is talking about FF1, waht I'm trying to say is; if there was no Unne or Cid in FF2 then maybe he was just some guy that they randomly named Dr.Unne in FF1.

Also, is there an Unne and a Cid in FF3?

Flying Mullet
05-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Ahh, good point. Yes, there is an Unne and Cid in FFIII. Unne is one of those ancient wizard types that helps you out. I can't remember if it's Unne's house or someone elses that you go mimi in to get that one item(OK, that was so vague that didn't make much sense).

Fredde
05-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Well, there is both Unne and Cid in FF3j, but that was maybe just a reusal of a good name. I haven't found any other FFs yet with Unnes in 'em. Has anyoen else done that?

Psychotic
05-07-2003, 06:58 PM
There's a thing called "Unne's Mirror" in FFIX. Also there is a "Doga's Artifact" - Dorga/Doga is someone who likes Unne in FFIII, or something. I can't tell because I don't speak squigglish.

Sefie1999AD
05-07-2003, 07:06 PM
I'd just like to correct a few things here.

In FF2 (aka FF2j aka the FF2 of FF Origins), there is a guy called Cid. He gives you airship rides. For a price, unfortunately. There is no Unne in FF2.

In FF3j, there is a guy called Cid as well. As for FF3j's "Unne", there's a wizard called Une, whose name the fan translators mixed up with FF1's Unne. And FF9's items are "Une's Mirror" and "Doga's Artifact". This Une/Unne might have confused some, but they aren't exactly the same (well, Edge and Edgar are also different, right? xD).

Fredde
05-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that correction. I also noticed that there is a SLIGHT likeness between the FF1 Dr.Unne sprite and the FF2j Cid sprite...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
In FF3j, there is a guy called Cid as well. As for FF3j's "Unne", there's a wizard called Une, whose name the fan translators mixed up with FF1's Unne. They didn't mix anything up. Unne is Une is Unne. Both FFI's Unne and FFIII's Unne are spelled the same way in Japanese, so it makes sense to spell them the same way in English.

FFIII's Unne also happened to be a quirky old lady with a parrot on her shoulder. :aimsun:

Dr Unne
05-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

Fredde
05-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Okay, I found out what the latin quote meant. He makes a point ya know.

BobDarkavenger
05-09-2003, 06:50 AM
I always though of Nerrick as the Cid of Final Fantasy

DJZen
05-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Cid, like Chocobos, didn't show up until FF2. Moogles didn't show up until FF3. The "FF style plot" didn't show up until FF2. The main character with a giant sword didn't show up until FF7. Not all FF traditions started with the first game.

Nait
05-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
They didn't mix anything up. Unne is Une is Unne. Both FFI's Unne and FFIII's Unne are spelled the same way in Japanese, so it makes sense to spell them the same way in English.

FFIII's Unne also happened to be a quirky old lady with a parrot on her shoulder. :aimsun:

Just curious, but are there geminata ns in Japanese? U-ne and Un-ne?

Master_Dragoner
05-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Well, I don't know what germinata means, but anyway...

In my understanding of Japanese (I know a little) those words would be spelt differently:

Unne = u - n - ne
Une = u - ne

They probably have different meanings as well, like Rikku from ff10 (ri - k - ku) and Riku from KH (ri - ku).

Fredde
05-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BobDarkavenger
I always though of Nerrick as the Cid of Final Fantasy

Yeah, I'm a bit on that track too. Now that I think 'bout it, Nerrick seems more "Ciddy" than Dr.Unne.

Dr Unne
05-09-2003, 03:58 PM
The only way you can translate from Japanese to English and back again is by sound, not by letter. If pay attention to the letters you'll end up with nonsense. Une and Unne are both pronounced the same in English (to me), so they're spelled the same in Japanese. In Japanese there's only one way to spell any given pronunciation (not counting kanji, anyways).

DJZen
05-11-2003, 04:26 AM
Unne is half right.... The way to transliterate Japanese words is by using an exact transliteration. So for example, even though "Fuji" is pronounced more like "huji" it's still spelled "Fuji". However, Unne is not a Japanese word, so the transliteration can only be guessed at. If it was spelled "U-tsu-ne" or (I'm guessing here) "U-n-ne" the correct spelling would PROBABLY be Unne, but it might also be Urnne. It gets kinda screwey like that...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-11-2003, 04:38 AM
Pretty sure it's just "u-ne."