PDA

View Full Version : any tips?

muchacho
05-07-2003, 10:19 PM
i just got this game and i want to know some good tips

Flying Mullet
05-07-2003, 11:09 PM
There are 100,000 good ability combinations in this game, so it's going to be hard to say which is best and everyone will have their "super-character" combination that they will swear by. Just remember that new weapons for advanced classes don't come along until later in the story. "Gained JP up" from the Squire is a great skill as it allows you to learn abilities faster. It's always a good idea to learn "Move +1" from the Squire or "Move +2" from the Theif. "Move +3 is learned from the Bard, but that's a long way off for you to get at the beginning of the game without a lot of fighting. Hope this helps.

And to finish, pick what you want. That's the great part about htis game is that you can play it with different combinations any time. There are only a few hard battles in the game and you won't get to any of those until the end of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3, so experiment and enjoy!

SmoshCuch
05-08-2003, 01:33 AM
The best thing that you can do is to experiment ALOT. Everyone will tell you different ways to make your characters, but just about anything can be made effective, so find what works for you.

That said, there are a few general tips you might find useful:
-Like Mullet said (by the way Mull, you have the most hilarious freakin avatar I've ever seen), Gained JP Up is essential in the early stages.
-Make sure you buy new equipment every so often - your enemies usually have stuff as good as or better than what you can buy in shops, so you don't want to get too out-gunned.
-Keep a healer (chemist, priest, monk) on the field at all times. Later on you can survive without them, but while you're learning the game, you're likely to incur a few casualties. Unless you lose a character permanently, don't sweat a couple deaths.
-SAVE OFTEN! And make sure you don't overwrite a save until you're certain. Keep at least one save from each of the early chapters in case there is something you want to change or redo.
-Accept any of the special characters that offer to join your party. Some players don't like them; some players love them. On your first play, you should at least use them a few times each, so you can decide for yourself. You can always delete them later, but you can't get them back if you reject them or delete them, so give 'em a try first.
-Don't eat yellow snow.

Have fun. Feel free to post further questions, observations, whatever.

Iori
05-08-2003, 04:47 AM
do not avoid random battles.. you WILL NOT win the game, buy dashing from quest-fight to quest-fight without leveling up.. like me for example.. i was doing fine without too much side leveling, untill i hit a brick wall once at the Cardinal, and now i hit a brick wall at Velius... i have like.. 38 hours logged on my card, but its more like 76, because i die so damn much.

by the by, these two guys who spoke before me, are some of the best help youll get in the ways of tactics, along with a few more.. Skye Chan, Mullet, Smosh,.. maybe me someday, and a few others.... you can tell they like you already, cause theyre the first two to post a reply on your help thread

SmoshCuch
05-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks Vev, glad I've been helpful.

Muchacho, I agree that you should not try to avoid random battles, they help you gain some XP & especially JP for training important skills. But also be careful of levelling too much. In story battles, the enemies will be a certain level, no matter what levels your characters are when you meet them. In random battles, the enemies are made to match your level range, sometimes even higher. New equipment becomes available as you reach new cities or certain parts of the story, and has nothing to do with level. So if you level up too much, you could be stuck with weak equipment while fighting powerful random enemies.

You may level up to beat a particular story battle, and end up getting stuck on random battles. If you begin to find random battles significantly more difficult than story battles, try to hold off on levelling for a while. Good luck.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
05-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Just beacause you have 200 Job Points doesn't mean you should use it to buy that worthless Ability.

Somtimes a Job class only has a few good abilitys and they are usually the most expensive ones.

Saving Jp is usually worthwhile.

Remember that Brave Faith and The Zodiac Compatibility all affect characters attacks and defences. (Took me a while to learn that)

Monks are cheap because of the no weapon thing and are also just as strong as someone with a sword if there Brave is relativly high.

Calvin
05-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Don't get discouraged too early on. That happened to me and I didn't play the game again for about 6 months. The next time I played it (and understood it), FFT instantly became my favorite Final Fantasy (well....technically a close second to FFVII :) ).

Also, don't always feel the need to constantly change job classes just because you don't want to waste JP. You can keep the same guy as a knight throughout the entire game if you want (I learned this about two weeks ago, and I've been playing the game since '98).

SmoshCuch
05-10-2003, 12:09 AM
True, you don't need to constantly change job classes. I would encourage you to try them all to see what you like & don't, but once you've found some classes you like you can stick with 'em as much or as little as you choose. And you don't necessarily have to change classes to learn new skills.

You can learn new skills from the crystals left by dead human enemies. But you can only learn skills from classes that you have available to that character. For example, if a character is only level 1 as a Priest & cannot access Oracle as a job class, you cannot learn Oracle skills from a crystal, or in any other way.

Characters gain JP from their allies. Example: if you send a Monk into battle, all allied units in battle with him/her will gain JP as a Monk. Like with crystals, this only happens for characters who have that class available. So if you want your Knight to learn Teleport, but don't want to bother training him as a mage, make sure Time Mage is available as a class for the Knight then send him into battle with a Time Mage. It may take a few fights for him to earn enough JP, but he will eventually be able to train the skill without having to become a Time Mage. This can also help raise job class levels & open up new job classes.

These tips are especially helpful for classes that are somewhat weak but have valuable skills, such as Thieves & Calculators.

The Amazing Spiderman
05-10-2003, 12:27 AM
I would recomend simply to have more warriors than mages until you have better combinations and combo units.

For example, Try first using two knights, a monk, a white mage, and a black mage.

Keep in mind that Female units are better mages than male units, and male units are better fighters than female ones.

I think I will add this:

- try to learn at the beginning this abilities: Auto-potion, Move+1 or +2, Move find item, counter tackle, counter, gain Jp UP, and many chemist abilities.
Try the ones you are better with.

I think the other dudes have explained the basics, so yeah.

Gregory
09-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Now, the hardest battle is normally the firsty one... in the first chapter. But you'll do okay.

-Start off as Squires. Train hard until you have Accumulate, Move +1, JP UP. You should try and get a lot of JP for a lot of classes so you can experience the joys of murdering bosses later in.

-I'm sure you heard this a lot, but you should aim for certain combos that'll make *Suilev* in *Retpahc* 2 look easy. Those of you who are clueless, read the *words* backwards...

-Never give up! The game has very fun elements to it. This game has over 20 classes and over 200 abilities to experiment with. As you tend to beat the game various times, you may want to add limitations to your game players, like all guys Calculators, or whatnot. Riovanes Castle is a pain. Just remember this and start playing and enjoying.

-Chew the fat. Never blow your money on items that sound cool, like if you have $5000 gil and you decide to blow all of you gil on Potions, and then there's this really great sword you need to beat, a thief, for example. You'll be screwed them. In other words, think smart. For those of you who think I'm some rookie who considers some thief to be a challenge, then you are mistaken.

-Have fun and remember the name "Thundergod Cid". Who knows? That name may save you from the worst of bosses.

Mwork
09-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SmoshCuch
New equipment becomes available as you reach new cities or certain parts of the story, and has nothing to do with level. So if you level up too much, you could be stuck with weak equipment while fighting powerful random enemies.

Random-battle human enemies, when high-levelled, do equip better gear.

So just take it from 'em.