PDA

View Full Version : What happens next?

PhoenixAsh
05-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Alright the thread about women seems to be dieing and I'm sick of reading threads with nothing really to argue about in here.

So here's my shot. What do you think happens after VIII? Not what would be cool for VIII-2, what do you think is most likely.

Now the end of VIII left everyone all happy and stuff, but that seems to me to be a bit of a short lived thing. Here's why.

It's pretty impossible to change the present by altering the past, it's even less likely to do it by changing the future. So somehow in the not too distant future Ultimecia has to terrorise the planet and towns must become isolated. At some point Lunatic Pandora and the Ragnorok have to be moved, which to me suggests upcoming military action.

Laguna knew he had a son (though I'm not sure for how long), he never attempted to contact him though. It can't have been that hard given Ellone managed it and she was being hunted. Will Squall really be able to forgive the father who's absence resulted in him pretty much losing his childhood altogether?

Rinoa is a Sorceress, she's going to be feared in Esthar, and quite probably in the West too. Other than in Balamb how is she going to live a normal life? Will her alliance with Garden provoke more outside hostilities? There is a dark side to Sorceress' magic and only Squall and possibly her friends will be able to keep it from coming out.

Who is going to rule in Deling? I don't remember exactly, but wasn't Carroway involved in betraying Squall and co? Ultimecia may no longer have control, but the Galbadian army was in place well before the events of the game, and was probably not dead against the sort of attacks that took place in Dollet before Edea took control.

I'm not gonna give my thoughts yet because this post has gone on too long, so what do you all think?

Cyan_Lightning
05-11-2003, 03:41 PM
An interesting topic. My personal view is that the aftermath of the game would be far darker than the happy image presented in the ending FMV.

Where Laguna is concerned, I doubt Squall would ever be able to forgive him, and not just for himself. There is part in the game, when visiting Winhill, I believe, where you learn that Raine, after giving birth to Squall, was calling out for Laguna, but of course, he wasn't there. Squall, who sacrificed his duties to be there for Rinoa under lesser circumstances, and who is the more 'heartless' of the two, I doubt would ever forgive that.

As for Rinoa, I doubt the relationship will last, the leader of a military organisation built with the purpose of destroying Sorceresses, and the Sorceress herself playing happy families - I don't think so. Regardless of what Squall said at the flower field, if Rinoa became twisted by her powers into someone unrecognisable, he would most likely fight against her. He fought against Seifer, who basically was all the family Squall had, so it makes sense he could engage in battle against Rinoa - that is if he's not under her possession, in which case he would be her Knight.

Where the rule in Deiling is concerned that is open to debate. With the removal of Vinzer's dictatorship it is likely that Galbadia, funded most likely by Esthar in an attempt to improve political relations, would set up a democracy. If that was to happen peace would be relatively probable, due to Galbadia's diminished military might. However, if Vinzer had a son, or one of his supporters managed to take power, then the dictatorship would continue - with war and retalitory strikes against Garden, and Edea, very likely.

Seifer, who seemed relatively happy in the end FMV, won't escape a bleak future. There would be a lot of people wanting to kill the ex Sorceress' Knight, revenge being one of the main reasons. Then there is the possibility of Galbadia, in desire to find a scapegoat for their actions during the war, making him stand trial for his actions - with probable execution or long term inprisonment as the punishment. The only relatively safe places he could go would be, Shumi Village and or Fisherman's Horizon as they both run under a pacifistic mentality. Returning to Balamb Garden would also be another possibility, as Squall seemed surprisingly reasonable over all that had happened.

But those are just my thoughts.

PhoenixAsh
05-11-2003, 07:03 PM
I hadn't actually thought about Seifer. I reckon he would have returned to Balamb eventually, because that's all he ever knew. It would also provide a renewed link to Rinoa which could explain why Ultimecia used him so heavily.

I actually do think the relationship between Squall and Rinoa would last, at least as long as Rinoa doesn't give in to her powers. She was the first person Squall could ever let himself care about, I think he'd hold onto it. I also think he'd be true to his word nomatter what his feelings were.

Cyan_Lightning
05-12-2003, 12:17 AM
I guess where the Squall/Rinoa thing is concerned it is, once again, a matter of opinion.

If Rinoa did, as you said, succumb to her powers, and ordered Squall to say torture Quistis and/or Selphie, judging from his in-game persona - I doubt he would do it. Furthermore, the Rinoa who gave that kind of order would be far from the naive person he was willing to die for, thus giving him the option of considering her, as he did, Seifer, a 'monster'. Squall certainly seemed derisive of Seifer being the 'Sorceress' lapdog', so I don't believe he would willingly allow himself to be manipulated to such an extent.

As with the endurance of the relationship, as I said, its personal opinion. I do believe they are far too different for it to work, Squall, no matter how much Rinoa wheedled and pleaded, would never be the social butterfly she is content being. That per se would put strain on the relationship. Another thing would be, as you mentioned, Seifer returning to Garden. It is clear that Squall bears little resentment towards his rival, and wouldn't impede his return, whether Rinoa would be angry at him - having been the cause of her recieving the Sorceress power, with which she might become an outcast - is another matter.

Or maybe I just can't see how anyone could put up with Rinoa for an extended period of time.

BG-57
05-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Why don't you write a fan fiction about it? :)