PDA

View Full Version : Midi music: Yes. Soundfx: No.

T-cell
05-13-2003, 09:25 PM
:(

Hello and greetings!

I just dug up FF7 after several years. Discs still work! I loaded the Nvidia video patch, and I think it worked (though with AthlonXP it shouldn't really be a problem.)

After playing for a while things seemed... quieter. I must admit that its been awhile, but were there not sound effects and good ones? Plenty of midi music, no other sounds. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card. If this is a problem that has already been discussed I apologize, but I couldn't find anything like it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dr Unne
05-14-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm almost positive that there should be sound effects. I always had trouble with sound (and video) in the PC FF7. It really wasn't a very well-designed game. Computers have come far enough now that playing the PSX FF7 in a PSX emulator on your computer is probably way way better than the real PC version of the game.

Check your sound configurations and whatnot I guess. I also have an SBLive! (Value) and sound worked perfectly fine for me. I remember Ifrit's guttural roar when you summon him because I used to turn the volume way up and scare the dog.

Samuraid
05-14-2003, 07:14 PM
If all else fails, make a backup copy of your save files, and reinstall FF7. That solved some problems I had with sound and video.

crono_logical
05-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Computers have come far enough now that playing the PSX FF7 in a PSX emulator on your computer is probably way way better than the real PC version of the game.
PSX version emulates brilliant on my PC, and I'm sure it'd emulate acceptably on a 450 MHz machine with crappy video card too (i.e. my sister's PC, since that's capable of PSX emulation as long as settings aren't over the top). Only problem I found was when One Winged Angel plays, since the framerate isn't constant, the words don't play in time with the music and sounds rather horrible :p Other than that, emulates great, and with an acceptable PC/video card, looks much better than a real PSX can do :D

T-cell
05-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone. This was my first post, and although there were only a few replies they were all helpful and constructive. I've found that creative labs drivers are notoriously sensitive. At one point, on a whim, I installed the old yamaha midi synth, and my sound card's drivers pooped. I couldn't even boot up. I was getting the evil "msgsrv32" and "devcon32" errors. Wound up fiddling in safe-mode and with ASD and so on, until everything worked again.

Anyway, once I was up and running again, I re-installed FF7 and everything worked perfectly. So case closed.

So thanks again for the help. Nice community you've got here.