PDA

View Full Version : Need file extension help with recently downloaded PC game

Dee
05-16-2003, 06:20 AM
I just recently downloaded a PC game, but I have no clue how to combine the split files found in the .tar archive (which can be opened with WinRAR). I know that it should be .rar files if they were supposed to split files (like something as common as WinRAR), but the extensions just include .001, .002, ~ .054, all in 15 meg chunks, and I don't know what program they've used. WinRAR normally uses .r00, .r01, etc. I do have a .sfv file, if that information can help somewhat with my predicament.

crono_logical
05-16-2003, 06:46 AM
What's the extension of the first one? .rar? Winrar 3 is usually intelligent enough to put together various different numbering formats - r00, r01 etc. just happens to be the default it makes, although it can read others. Even if it's not rar, but a zip (which I think it might be), Winrar should be able to recognise them anyway if you open the first one in the lot (usualy the one without the weird numbers).

Burtsplurt
05-16-2003, 04:05 PM
The new version of WinRar (3.xx) uses filename.partx.rar. Maybe you have an old version?

That's probably of no help whatsoever.

Dr Unne
05-16-2003, 05:04 PM
.sfv is Simple File Verification, i.e. some kind of CRC that you can use to check your download to make sure that it didn't become partially corrupted, so that doesn't help (I think). .tar is just an archive, it doesn't compress files or anything. Can you look on the site you downloaded it from to see which program they used to compress / split the thing? It'll be kind of hard to guess if none of the files have a real extension. One of them should have a non-numerical extension.

Endless
05-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Burtsplurt
The new version of WinRar (3.xx) uses filename.partx.rar. Maybe you have an old version?

That's probably of no help whatsoever.

You can configure it to compress using the old system :p

I think the format of your thing is "ace". Regardless of the format, just use winrar to force the opening : select all of them <b>in winrar</b> and click "extract" (or "view" to see what's inside) (winrar's cool, it lets you open almost any kind of archive from any part of it) and choose to extract all to the place you want it to go.

Dee
05-17-2003, 09:26 PM
OK, I got it. Master Vivi's right, it was WinAce. Thanks for all of your help, guys!