PDA

View Full Version : DVD sound problem

Citizen Bleys
05-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I don't know when it happened, since it's been a while since I played a DVD, but now when I try to play a DVD, the sound is all scratchy as hell. You almost can't hear the audio through the static.

I'm sure I've had this problem before, but I was running Windows 98 at the time, which tells you how long ago that was...I think I fixed it by turning DMA off on my DVD drive, but I can't find the option in 2k/XPee.

crono_logical
05-18-2003, 05:56 PM
By turning DMA off? Sounds like the cable is dodgy or something then :p (Although I'm running my CD and DVD drives in UDMA mode without a sheilded cable myself :p )

To disable (U)DMA in XP, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, and open Device Manager in the left column. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the right panel, right click > Properties for the channel which the drive is connected to (you need to know this beforehand, not sure if you can find out from within XP), and go to the Advanced Settings tab. You should be able to change the Transfer Mode in there from DMA to PIO (non-DMA). I can't remember if you have to reboot though, and I don't want to test on my drives since I like DMA myself, PIO is too slow to play back DVDs properly on my PC :p

Citizen Bleys
05-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Gah, and my ATA card rears its ugly head *again*...I don't know which "secondary IDE channel" the bastard's on, and both are named the same. *killkillkill*

crono_logical
05-18-2003, 06:53 PM
View > Devices by Connection :D

Actually, I guess doing that will tell you where the drive is plugged in so you don't need to know beforehand anymore :p