PDA

View Full Version : Simple, stupid question about Direct Connect

Zypher
05-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Under help, direct connect tells me
Warning: DO NOT share your windows directory because your privacy will be invaded by users downloading your registry and ini files finding out your personal information as well as passwords.

Does this mean I should not share my entire windows directory (C), or that I should not share *anything* in C?

Thanks in advance.

Dr Unne
05-18-2003, 10:15 PM
"Windows directory" means c:\windows and all the subdirectories in it (c:\windows\system for example). Don't share c:\windows or anything in it. A folder like c:\shared would be a good place to put stuff you want to share.

Zypher
05-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Oh, all right. I thought it meant anything on the C drive (that is, where windows is). Thanks again.

crono_logical
05-19-2003, 01:22 AM
It also means don't share the entire of C:, since you'd end up sharing the Windows folder underneath it. I'd also suggest not sharing the Program Files folder, (not least because many hubs ban you for sharing installed programs for a start), but also because Windows and other programs store there own settings in there too, including possibly sensitive data so would be equally as bad as sharing the Windows folder. Basically, make sure you know exactly what you're sharing, every single file, to be safe :p