PDA

View Full Version : Umm...so what did you think about Amarant???

Rinna Lee
05-20-2003, 05:52 AM
What did you think about Amarant anyways?? I didn't really like him that much...he was too quiet and i guess he was a little mean...what's your opinion??:mog:

Raiden
05-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Amarant is my favorite character along with Kuja. I love his 'badass attitude' and his fighting style. Plus, he hates Eiko so he can't be a bad character:D

Misfit
05-20-2003, 01:18 PM
I found him rather annoying. o.o; But, like Raiden said, he hated Eiko.. so he wasn't that bad.

crono_logical
05-20-2003, 01:21 PM
He has my favourite trance, lets you autolife the entire party in one move, or heal everyones HP and/or MP in another (assuming you have the appropriate skills learned) :p Plus he looks pretty cool when tranced, almost like the T-1000 off Terminator 2 with that liquid metal look :p

Scandalous
05-20-2003, 07:45 PM
I love him! He's my third favourite character after Garnet and Zidane.

Rude
05-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Amarant in battle is teh r0x0rz.

Amarant in story is teh sux0rz.

The last Kuja
05-21-2003, 12:28 AM
I liked his weapon. It would be better if he had two though..

god5254
05-21-2003, 01:12 AM
i liked his throw command alot....

FinalLethal
05-21-2003, 01:15 PM
haha amarant was a douche, i dont like the way he looks or the way he acts in the game, and i usually play with my favourite characters, not the strongest ones.
and amarant is just queer

Sin Harvest
05-21-2003, 03:54 PM
amarant is pretty cool, but i think that the chick that was with him (Lani ?) would have been a better party member.

RSL
05-22-2003, 12:16 AM
I found him to be a rather boring character. I think you could take him out of the story completely and nothing would change.

Flying Mullet
05-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Amarant's the stereotypical "Bad-ass-quiet-with-a-heart-of-gold-that-nobody-sees-and-is-always-cold-to-everyone" character. He reminded me of Shadow in FFVI, although they didn't try to revolve any of the story around Shadow like they did Amarant and it was a waste. Like RSL said, it wouldn't affect the story if he was removed.

m4tt
05-22-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Rude
Amarant in battle is teh r0x0rz.

Amarant in story is teh sux0rz.

Indeed! I almost always used him in the party, but his story was crap.

MinCin
05-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Well, he was okay, but the story around him was not good! Well, there wasn´t a story, so there wasn´t any background on the guy, and I really like my characters to have some. It makes them more interesting.

Imperia
05-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Amarant's my favorite male hero (along with Zidane) in FFIX. I think he's so awesome. Especially when he's in trance mode.:D

Big D
05-23-2003, 06:47 AM
If FFIX's writers had bothered to pay attention to the secondary lead characters, then Amarant could've been one of the most interesting. The few details we get about his life hint at a tantalisingly deep back-story... no parents, first memory is of his first fight, martial arts or spiritual training (hence his 'Monk abilities'), his job as a security guard, his former job with Lani... there's so much they could have developed. They could make an entire game about his past, I think.

Hence my opinion that FFIX's characters are often horiffically under-developed.

Solution IX
05-25-2003, 04:57 AM
I didn't really like him that much... the only place i thought that he helped was in Oeilvert. He just didn't do much for the story.

Eyece
05-30-2003, 05:06 AM
Amarant was my favorite character. Fuc* all of you who didn't like him.

Yes, his personality was typical, but you have the personality of his in EVERY FF! Cloud, Squall...Shall I go on?

Silent Warrior
06-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Amarant's ok. Not super, not FUBAR, but ok. Elan is just goddam awesome.

Blackmage
06-02-2003, 03:20 PM
I thought he was pretty spiffy.

*agrees*

Evelia
06-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by RSL
I found him to be a rather boring character. I think you could take him out of the story completely and nothing would change.
Exactly. He wasn't relevant to the plot at all.

He was good in battle, but his personality was just... dull. I thought he was gonna be Zidane's pet rooster when I first bought the game. :D (That was before I read the booklet.)

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-02-2003, 11:32 PM
I love Amarant so much.

Lamia
06-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Amarant had some useful moves and was a decent figher, much like Freya. But to be technical, I would choose Steiner over him. And mages in the party are nifty. Everyone hates Eiko...heh... I like Eiko, she is one of my favorites.

Sorceress Fujin
07-05-2003, 09:23 PM
I just got this game two weeks ago and after reading the strategy guide, Amarant reminds me a lot of Squall: the badass, lone-wolf type of character. He's cool-looking too. :D

Wightraven
07-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Never... NEVER compare the greatness of Amarant to the suckiness of Squall. Amarant was solid in battle and his character was shrouded in mystery. Plus, ignoring the fact that his dreadlocks defied gravity, he was badass-looking too! I liked his weapons and his abilities, and he's just got a sort of mystique to him.

Amarant's past may not have been developed much, but I think his present is far more interesting. He spends an odd amount of time around Freya, ja?

Big D
07-06-2003, 03:36 AM
I'd have liked it if the Amarant/Freya friendship was developed more in the game. However, all we really get shown is how the various characters interact with Zidane.

Freya Coral
07-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Big D
If FFIX's writers had bothered to pay attention to the secondary lead characters, then Amarant could've been one of the most interesting. The few details we get about his life hint at a tantalisingly deep back-story... no parents, first memory is of his first fight, martial arts or spiritual training (hence his 'Monk abilities'), his job as a security guard, his former job with Lani... there's so much they could have developed. They could make an entire game about his past, I think.

That's what fanfics are for.:D But yeah... Amarant's way underappreciated. He rocks. :rock:

Christmas
05-13-2022, 04:37 AM
He seems to have too much hair for my liking and they are crimson red like bloodm it scares me. :(

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:27 PM
i dont care for him, he is boring. theres like one bit of character "growth" when he quits being a security guard to chase children around the globe. thats about all that happens.

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:28 PM
i remember him lying down for a nap in an upside down castle or something and its just like "whatever...."

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:30 PM
its all "ooo zidane youre so brave and good for not leaving a man to die in an upside down castle" like im supposed to be impressed

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:31 PM
a giant blue and red man and all they do with him is make him quit his job and then lay down in a backward castle. what a waste of potential.

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:34 PM
oh hi im a giant red and blue man im going to fight a 16 year old monkey boy who is hanging out with a 6 year old girl and a 9 year old boy and them in going to hang out with all of them and then get all cocky about it and get stuck in a trap like an asshole. then ill do nothing for the rest of the game

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:35 PM
*sees a giant upside down backwards-ass castle*
finally this is the chance to prove myself against the monkey boy. i will beat him at whatever the fuck is going on in this upside down backwards-ass castle

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:44 PM
amarant wasnt allowed to be a cop (institutional racism) so he became a security guard instead, and was instantly owned by a child

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:46 PM
amarant is like the security guard at tesco who will follow u home for stealing pokemon cards or something but this time he followed the criminal halfway across the globe

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:47 PM
amarant will literally follow u through a portal to another planet in an effort to tell ur mum what a naughty boy u are

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:49 PM
amarant: ok im a tall giant who is blue and red. but here's the twist, im really dextrous *jumps around the battlefield a bit, and its kind of dextrous but not really that dextrous, and youre overall underwhelmed*

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:52 PM
ff9 head writer: ok we have the tall red and blue dude with lame claws, and we have the absolutely fucking beautiful boss yass queen with a giant bardiche (i googled it). which do u guys think should join the party?
ff9 writers: oh the lame quiet guy, definitely

Mr Gashtacular
05-13-2022, 12:55 PM
Lani is now in her early 40s and her favourite pastime is leaving negative tripadvisor reviews on struggling inns

Quindiana Jones
05-13-2022, 04:44 PM
Gash taking some hella hot takes here, but he ain't wrong. Good to see Lani getting the respect she deserves; what an absolute legend and total babe.

Big D correctly comments on the problem of secondary characters not getting the time or moments they need. Amarant could have been cool, but just didn't have the time to make it happen.

I do strongly love the intro, though. Dope as hell to fight him as a boss.

Dr. Acula
05-16-2022, 06:46 AM
Petition for Mr Gashtacular to do a "Where are they now?"-style update on all the FF characters.

Christmas
05-16-2022, 10:40 AM
I think resurrected more than a thread. :bigsmile:

Tigmafuzz
05-18-2022, 09:43 PM
Gash pulling out the video game equivalent of the "get him" scene from How High where they roast the professor