PDA

View Full Version : Thief's running ability

FuSoYa
05-22-2003, 08:59 PM
First off, I'd just like to point out that unless I'm trying something new out, I always use the same party in FF1: Fi, Th, Wm, Bm. I know most people use a Black Belt in their party instead of the Thief. Those who do stick with the Thief will usually say the reason they pick him is for his running ability. Now I run from a lot of battles (cough, Marsh Cave, cough), but I don't find my Thief to have a particularly good chance of being successful when running away. My Black Mage is usually the one who saves us. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just present in the Final Fantasy Origins release, or has it always been like that?

So since I don't take the Thief for his running, there must be some reason I take him, right? I actually take him so that he can be a Ninja someday. There's 2 Sasukes (i still call them Katanas) to be found in the game. Since they're one of the best weapons in the game, it'd be a real shame to see both of them go to waste. Plus, they can cast low level Black Magic. I've actually never used a Black Belt in my party, think I'll try one when I play through on Easy Mode.

omnitarian
05-23-2003, 01:20 AM
Everyone will tell you that thief's running ability got bloggered in the update.

Some people (like yours truly) will tell you that there wasn't even much difference in the NES version.

If you're looking for an adulterous fling away from the thief, I reccomend a Red Mage, actually. The Sun Sword is only minutely weaker than the Katana, and the white magic / extra black magic more than compensates for that anyway.

Bob the Elf
05-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Yup, Red mage is the way to go.

Mr. Graves
05-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by FuSoYa
My Black Mage is usually the one who saves us. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just present in the Final Fantasy Origins release, or has it always been like that?

The same is true for the NES, in my experience.

So since I don't take the Thief for his running, there must be some reason I take him, right? I actually take him so that he can be a Ninja someday. There's 2 Sasukes (i still call them Katanas) to be found in the game. Since they're one of the best weapons in the game, it'd be a real shame to see both of them go to waste. Plus, they can cast low level Black Magic. I've actually never used a Black Belt in my party, think I'll try one when I play through on Easy Mode.

The only things about a Ninja is having an Ability to use more weapons/armor and being a low-level Black Mage on the side. Although it's not worth dragging the Theifs' corpse halfway through the game. Plus, Both Excalibur and the Masamune are superior to Katanas.

Dr Unne
05-23-2003, 04:30 PM
I noticed he runs better in the NES version, but just because I notice it doesn't mean it's programmed into the game. Could be coincidence. I like him because the Ninja is good, and my goal in picking a party isn't to pick the one that's strongest, it's to pick the one that's fun.

Book
05-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Thief is a pretty bad runner, atleast in the origins version. The best reason to take the thief is because when he becomes a Ninja his defence goes way up and he can also cast up to Lv4 black mage, which includes Steel and Haste which are excelent to have.

twobitmage
05-24-2003, 08:34 PM
in origins the thief is (as I noticed anyway) actually a WORSE runner than everyone else! but Im too far in the game to restart and I like him anyway because ninjas are cool

black orb
05-25-2003, 12:09 AM
>>> Thief`s running ability on the NES - 99,9% chance of running
>>> Thief`s running ability on Origins - 50% or even less, chance of running
Ive played and beat FF1 NES like a 50 times, Ive played and beat FF1 Origins 3 times, just based on that I made those stats..