PDA

View Full Version : Password Protecting folders/files - WITHOUT hiding/encryping please :D?

Loony BoB
05-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Is that even possible? Is there a program that does nothing more than make it so that a folder requires a password to get into it (ie, you go to open it and it asks you for a password)? I see a bunch of encryption things and/or hiding things, but no straight forward password protections.

Bulldog
05-23-2003, 01:39 PM
I have a bunch of those programs, which I still need to test and stuff. But from what I can remember when I downloaded them, Folder Lock should be pretty easy to use, and will not encrypt nor hide the folders and files in question. There's also this thing called iFolder, but I know nothing about that one. It seems to be popular.
Also a program called Folder Guard, should do the trick.

Edit: Okay, Secure Files seems to do part of the trick(I don't know about the other ones yet). You start the program and select which files and folders you want to protect. Then you close the program. The moment you close Secure Files, the protected files and folders will become invisible. To make them visible again, you'll have to start Secure Files up and type in your password. Yep, it's not really what you want, but it'll do methinks. *keeps checking*

crono_logical
05-23-2003, 02:21 PM
If you're using Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 and have the drive formatted as NTFS, you don't need password - just go to the folder Properties, open the Security tab, and remove access for everyone except the users you want to access it, then you have to log in as the right user to access them :p

Loony BoB
05-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but this is for within one user's profile, y'no? It has to be folder/file based, as opposed to profile based.

angel
05-23-2003, 03:21 PM
you could try the old "create a new profile then put the access to that profile only and logging in that when you need it " - trick

Loony BoB
05-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Yes, I KNOW how to do all that crap... xP It'd probably be easier to do the 'hide files' program than that. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a program that can specifically do that passwording, not if anyone knows a workaround for it. Sorry if I confused anyone with that =P

Endless
05-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Is it for people who have physical access to the computer, or across a LAN?

Dr Unne
05-23-2003, 04:15 PM
I'd put the crap you want protected into a zipfile or something. You can put a password on zipfiles.

Citizen Bleys
05-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Right, in XPee, a zip file is basically the same thing as a folder anyways. You can use the forward and back keys to navigate in it, just like a folder, and if you double-click on it, it opens. Not much real difference.

crono_logical
05-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Other than I've never found zip folders particularly stable, they make zip handling with other programs like Winrar awkward, and you can't run certain programs from within a zip folder due to the way Windows temporarily extracts them to run :p

Yamaneko
05-23-2003, 11:18 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,15301,00.asp