PDA

View Full Version : FLIPPIN' CHOCOBO BREEDING.

Strider
05-25-2003, 02:39 AM
I heard the process was long, grueling and excessively annoying, but now that I'm trying to go through it. . .it's still FAR worse than I imagined it would be. The computer won't throw me a freakin' bone, and it's highly frustrating.

So then, when all y'all set out to raise a Gold Chocobo, how did you feel during the process?

miburo
05-25-2003, 02:47 AM
i thought it was fairly easy, just takes awhile. you are doing everythign right, right? if you dont know exactly what you're doing it can be hard.

Spatvark
05-25-2003, 03:31 AM
It drove me so insane, I just gave up not long after getting a blue chocobo to go with my green one. I just couldn't take all the damn racing anymore...

Killy
05-25-2003, 03:50 AM
I liked it so much that I tried to brred the ultimate Gold Chocobo, but I got bored not too long after my second generation of Gold Chocobos.

razor248725
05-25-2003, 09:27 AM
the first time i did it was was practically pulling my hair out, but it was worth it in the end. the second time was much easier because i bread lots of blue and green chocobos. if i got two green chocobos, one male one female, its easy from there, the chocobo that you will hopefully be blue, won't matter if its male or female, so it makes it easier. i hope that made sense!! but yeah, it make it that little bit easier...

Burtsplurt
05-25-2003, 11:59 AM
If you follow the chocobo breeding guides it isn't too bad, but it still takes forever. Maybe try beating the Weapons in the meantime (= no chance, but fun nonetheless).

It's the darn Chcocobo music that really annoys me. I switch the sound off whenever I'm racing, it's that bad.

Psychotic
05-25-2003, 01:00 PM
The only hard part for me was trawling the world wondering where in the hell I could find Carob and Zeio nuts. It's always best to save before breeding a pair of chocobos so you can reset if you don't get the results you want. Also, I have found that wonderful chocobos will ALWAYS be the same gender as each other. The first time I bred a gold one they were all male, and the second time round they were all female. So therefore you will need a black chocobo of the opposite sex, so catch the wonderful one before breeding the black one.

It's the darn Chcocobo music that really annoys me. I switch the sound off whenever I'm racing, it's that bad.

Nah, the Chocobo music's good!

Enigma
05-25-2003, 05:10 PM
I thought chocobo breeding was fun and easy. The only part that made me want to kill the creators of the game was when you needed a certain sex of Chocobo and you woulld get a Great or Wonderful, or whatever you need and it's the same sex that you already have. Then you spend forvever looking for the right one, which seems to never come.

Dragonfire
05-25-2003, 06:02 PM
how bout just beat which ever weapon gives you the desert rose (i forget which) and get your gold chocobo that way. It's tough to do, but try it anyways

miburo
05-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Dragonfire
how bout just beat which ever weapon gives you the desert rose (i forget which) and get your gold chocobo that way. It's tough to do, but try it anyways
ruby i think, and the gold chocobo you get from the kalm traveller doesn't have very good stats.

Strider
05-25-2003, 09:24 PM
If you follow the chocobo breeding guides it isn't too bad, but it still takes forever. Maybe try beating the Weapons in the meantime (= no chance, but fun nonetheless). I've checked three different walkthrough guides at GameFAQs, and they all have different guides for chocobo breeding. It's hard to figure out which ones are right, because they've all missed one thing or another.

I'm having the same problem as Purgatory over there had, in that I can't seem to mate for a blue female. It's highly annoying.

Liquid Glass
05-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Where do you find the guides?

Strider
05-25-2003, 10:36 PM
I've used three or four different ones at www.gamefaqs.com. They all say different things concerning how to go about breeding chocobos.

Liquid Glass
05-26-2003, 06:16 PM
oh okay thanks.

Burtsplurt
05-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by StriderX284
I've checked three different walkthrough guides at GameFAQs, and they all have different guides for chocobo breeding. It's hard to figure out which ones are right, because they've all missed one thing or another.

I'm having the same problem as Purgatory over there had, in that I can't seem to mate for a blue female. It's highly annoying.

I used this (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_vii_chocobo_a.txt) one at GameFAQs. It seemed to work pretty well.

Advent Child
05-28-2003, 01:12 AM
rather then wait for your chocobo to be able to breed again, save before you try to breed. then breed. if it fails, reset. Repeat.

Strider
05-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Oh, yes. I've done that, d0p. Done that for strings of twenty minutes with no friggin' luck.

HOOTERS
05-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Basically just race the chocobos a lot and feed them greens (as well as breeding the right types of course). All the racing you do will gain you loads of GP anyway which you can spend at the battle square.

Scottlee
05-28-2003, 06:01 PM
10 Reasons why chocobo breeding frustrates the crap out of you....

1)It costs a fortune. I think I usually blow about 3 million gil in order to get one of those damn gold chocobos

2)It takes Feckin ages. Only recently did I discover you can fund your greens by selling mastered 'All' materia for 1.4 million gil. Before that I used to wander around the Mideel area for hours on end earning minimum wage.

3)"You shouldn't breed those who just mated or were just born", or whatever. That means another delay to number 2.

4)Teioh practically never loses, so if you come up against him in the B rank you can literally scrub the next 2 minutes off your life as a being a total waste of time

5)Some chocobos are naturally just very bad runners. I had a Black chocobo with a speed of 158 and a stamina of 999. He was so lumbersome though I barely managed to scrape him through to the A rank. Compare this to my Gold chocobo, who was only 129 and 999, yet could win most races running backwards

6)The navigational system on Chocobo Bill's farm is even slower than Cloud's ability to cotton on to the idea there are good looking women in his life who want to go to bed with him. See how long it takes to purchase 99 Tantal greens and then feed them to one of your prize beasts....

"Are you sure you want to feed it to this one?"
"Are you sure?"
"Are you really sure"
"Ok"
*ching* X 99

7)Not only does the Chocobo Sage have the memory of a dyslexic goldfish, but he's almost always behind the point you're at in the breeding process. If you've just figured out how to breed a green chocobo, the 'Sage' will explain once again how to do what you've just done. He does the same thing when you've ALREADY got the black chocobo.

8)I was recently in the position of wanting to breed a Green male so that he might mate my already born Blue Female. For some reason though, I managed to deliver eight green females in a row before I finally delivered the right kind. ZZZ

9)Try taking four chocobos out of the snow caps and over to Bill's farm. Chances are you'll get three dufus one and one 'wonderful' one that isn't the right sex for your black one. And that means you've got to make another round trip.

10)Try winning a C class race with a well bred chocobo. You've already done it? Good. Now sit back and wait on your tod for half an hour whilst all the other racers join you at the finishing line. You see, until they do, you can't get on with the next race.

Strider
05-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Teioh practically never loses, so if you come up against him in the B rank you can literally scrub the next 2 minutes off your life as a being a total waste of time.Actually, I came across that guy twice in B-rank. He managed to outdistance me on the last stretch on the long course, but I beat him the second time around. All it really takes is a lot of sprinting at the home stretch.

Numisma
05-28-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah, it can be frustrating, but once you know what you're doing, it's easy as pie.

the worst parts for me were...

1- catching chocobos of the correct status and sex (wrong status/sex, run away in battle before i can throw a green, etc.)

2- racing so-so racers to S rank. i never let the chocobo run its own race, i always use manual operation. even so, some chocobos i just couldn't get to win more than 2 A class races :P and solely cuz they had sucky speed and couldn't sprint

3- getting a frickin' GREEN chocobo. i kept getting blue ones!

4- Teioh! i wasn't able to beat him until i had chocobos that had decent enough speed and sprinting ability. yeah, Teioh's stats will always be at a certain percentage in comparison to my own chocobo, but once my chocobo's own stats were pretty decent by themselves, i could outsprint the bugger in the long run

5- getting to the Chocobo Sage's house w/o the game freezing on me (though this had more to do with the fact that my PSX was used when i got it and i'd been having this problem ever since i'd gotten the Highwind)

6- saving up the moolah for the greens - i would spend tons of time in the crashed Gelnika battling those Unknown 1-3 creatures

things were very easy once i got my green chocobo (m), though, since i already had a Wonderful chocobo (m) and a blue chocobo (f). i had to try twice for a black chocobo cuz i got a male the first time, but i whiled away the time by going to the Ancient Forest, hehe, till my green and blue could breed again. fun fun fun fun fun

Strider
05-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Burtsplurt, you are my hero. I used that guide and got a gold chocobo in no time. Now I just gotta find all the rest of the cool stuff you can get with a gold chocobo, I have a couple of them already.

Liquid Glass
06-02-2003, 02:16 AM
I also used Burtsplurt's guide. It worked wonders. Currently I'm trying to breed a gold chocobo that Can blaze the S class. Oh, how did Teioh get his chocobo so good?

DMKA
06-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Eh, the only part that bothered me was the racing. It took too damn long and got tedious after about the 40th time. GASP!?!?! Am I talking about FF7!?!?!? CURSE ME!!!

*Decapitates himself with the Mursame*:choc:

Korean_Pride
06-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Sure, Chocobo breeding takes a lot of time (for me, most was spent trying to catch the Wonderful.... and it was a bad racer too... booooo) but it cost me hardly any money... why? Duplicate items :)
Yes yes, call me a cheater, but that's what I did with the Sylkis Greens.....

Oh and beating Teioh, I found him easy, hardly ever lost to him.

Max
06-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Ok if u wan;t a gold Chocobo heres what u do.First u beat Ruby weapon and get the desert rose.Then u go to kalm and trade it with a guy.In exange for the rose he'll give u a Gold chocobo.Beating Ruby weapon is hard but its a lot better than going through the prosess of Breeding.

Auron_Kotetsu
06-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey, Burtsplurt, i'm assuming you have to pay to view that guide you linked to... because i can't.

anyone have a good way to get a blue chocobo?!? i've bred like 30 freakin green ones! i can't even eat chicken any more, they're pissing me off so much! am i doing something wrong? BLORGH!!!

Lord Xehanort
06-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Breed an A rank Great yellow with your A rank green.

Leigha
06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
i thought the choco breeding was a blast!!! if you don't get the right one the first time around, release it, go lv. up or race your other choco, and then try again! it's a great time burner if you've got a day with nothing better to do! i loved it....

Hedgy
06-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Shrunkin Master
Ok if u wan;t a gold Chocobo heres what u do.First u beat Ruby weapon and get the desert rose.Then u go to kalm and trade it with a guy.In exange for the rose he'll give u a Gold chocobo.Beating Ruby weapon is hard but its a lot better than going through the prosess of Breeding.

Wish I had thought of doing it that way!
I found Chocobo breeding easy but boring, it was the worst part of the whole game.

Auron_Kotetsu
06-20-2003, 08:31 AM
One problem with the whole Beating WEAPON thing... how in the eff are you sposed to down him without KOTR? Suggestions welcome!

nanakixiii
06-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Well, 3 ways:
1.) Master summon: beat emerald
2.) um... master summon again (but with much more painful process of mastering all summon materia. easier to just breed gold chocobo)
3.) um... well, have developed charas, and materias, and you should be fine... i think.

Yeah, so I have a question:
What do you have to do to reach chocobos with speed of 150+?

And about chocobo breeding: Well, it's painful and it's probably not worth it (since i beat emerald before gold chocobo and had KOTR). But, I think the racing is fun once you get to S rank. Yeah, I hate it when you have to sit in front of the TV watching your chocobo hop up and down 100 times before the other racers come.

Aeris_Gainsborough
06-27-2003, 05:32 PM
You all hated the process of breeding the chocobos??? I didn't!!

It didn't take long for me to get a gold, yellow, black, green, blue A level chocobos...Took me an hour to get all of them though....And half of that was racing the higher leveled chocobos - I'd read a book, they were that slow, and I did use manual. Teioh was pretty easy to beat - I beat him with my normal yellow chocobo first time round..

I wish you could have two player chocobo races on your game..My cousin could have the yellow one, and I'd say it is the best one in the game...And she cries when she loses things - and she's older then me!!!
Aaah, that'd be a funny sight - her coming last!

Yeah, so I have a question:
What do you have to do to reach chocobos with speed of 150+?

I can't remember cleary, but I think you have to use one of the greens from chocobo sage in the mountains..I think you can only get to 150 speed..

one_winged_angel
06-28-2003, 12:49 PM
1)
actually thats wrong you can get 255 speed (hexidecimal coding 16x16=256 1 code for the address 255 for the actual stat)

2)

The only hard part for me was trawling the world wondering where in the hell I could find Carob and Zeio nuts.
on the island with bone village on there are dinasaur type thingys that drop carobs and an archipelago north east of midgar island place where you fight goblins that drop zeio nuts

3)
does anyone know what you have to do after you have bred to be able to breed again? is it time? or racing? or what? *crushes scrawny playstation handpad in frustration*

ThE dArK oNe
06-29-2003, 10:35 AM
I believe hat 178 is the maximum speed...

Battling, traveling, racing; all of the above...

Lord Xehanort
06-29-2003, 10:35 AM
It is # of battles.

bigbadwolf05
11-17-2005, 11:58 PM
omg whoever said they liked this process must be mad i am sick and tired of it ive only just got there and my god im soooooo bored i know that the reward "knights of the round" is in every aspect awesome but any1 got any tips on how to speed up the time in beetween breeds plz

from daniel :choc:

TheSpoonyBard
11-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Fight 10 battles. Your chocobos should be ready for breeding again. If you want to save time you could train your Limit Breaks/raise Vincent's kill count at the same time as chocobo breeding to get it out of the way.

Miriel
11-18-2005, 12:11 AM
I put off finishing the game because I wanted the gold chocobo. But the whole breeding process infuriated me. So here I am, 5 years later, and I still haven't beat the game. All because of the stupid gold chocobo.

TheSpoonyBard
11-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Beat Ruby WEAPON and exchange the Desert Rose with the Kalm Traveller for a Gold Chocobo. It will be useless at racing but will give you access to all the secret materia caves.

Shoden
11-18-2005, 12:20 AM
buy 2 silkis greens and use the W-item cheat, give your desired chocobo a hell load of choco steroids/ greens (97 max) Get 99 again through W-item glitch and give it to the other chocobo, get these babies up to a high rank and let them do their business.

That's an easy way to do it :D.

Slade
11-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Man I hated Chocobo breeding and racing. Way to waste my day. If it werent for the caves that are able to be accessed with the Gold Chocobo, I wouldnt have even thought of chocobo breeding or racing.

eestlinc
11-18-2005, 06:48 AM
this is an old thread but it seems ok to revive, I guess.

I always thought it would be a pain to do the breeding and racing so I never bothered, but I just did it this week on my new playthrough and found it easy. Just get two great chocobo's from Mideel area, sell a mastered all materia for gil, and buy about 100 sylkis greens. Then just feed each of the great chocobos 20 or 30 sylkis greens and that will max their stats. With those stats it should be easy to win races up to A rank. You don't even have to try very hard. Teioh may race you a few times in B rank but you can either keep racing or you can beat him with some skillful sprinting and holding the R1 and R2 buttons.

Carob nuts are easy to steal from Vlakorados in the green areas around the Chocobo Sage's house or by Bone Village. Just breed the two A rank great chocobos with the Carob nut and you'll get a Green. Then I got a third Great chocobo and fed him a bunch of Sylkis greens and got him to A rank, then bred him with the female Great Chocobo I already had and got a Blue chocobo.

The green and blue chocobos will have better max stats, an max them out with more batches of sylkis greens. Getting them to S class is not too tough since their maxed-out stats should be quite formidable. Once you get both of them in S(and you can usually just get one of them to S and one to A) breed them for a black.

The black chocobo will be easy to get to S class with more sylkis greens. Then find a Wonderful chocobo from the tracks near Icicle Inn. Do the same feeding and racing, get it to A class, and then breed with the black and a Zeio nut that you stela from the goblins on the far eastern islands. Save and then keep breeding until you get a Gold.

I maxed out my first gold chocobo and then easily won 10 S class races in a row to get the full prizes.

I was surprised how easy it really was. The key is selling a mastered All materia to get enough gil for all the sylkis greens. Just feed them batches of 10 sylkis greens at a time. After 20 or 30 they will be maxed out without too much effort.

KoShiatar
11-18-2005, 09:47 PM
The thing that really made me upset about chocobo racing was that I never was able to get a Magic Counter materia through it.

eestlinc
11-19-2005, 04:02 PM
you can get a Magic Counter materia in the north cave though.

TheSpoonyBard
11-19-2005, 04:03 PM
No, no, Counter is in the Norther Crater. Magic Counter is a Chocobo Racing prize.

KoShiatar
11-19-2005, 09:51 PM
No, no, Counter is in the Norther Crater. Magic Counter is a Chocobo Racing prize.

Exactly. And after a while it just seemed to stop appearing as a prize for races, so I gave up.

Light Mage
11-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Don't forget if you win 15 S Rank races, you'll get a special present from Esther, your racing Manager.

TheSpoonyBard
11-19-2005, 10:29 PM
1) You only need to win 10 consuecutive races at S class.
2) Magic Counter isn't included in Esther's bundle.