PDA

View Full Version : Which is better FF7 or FF6

Fahd
05-25-2003, 11:07 PM
These 2 games are highly rated by FF players i really dont know how people tend to think of FF6 being better cus i mean FF7 has way too cool characters and the only guy in FF6 i like is sabin. And the "materia" system is much better than the "esper" system cus in this way as soon as you equip materia u can use it straight away. Wells thats my thoughts on it what do u guys think is better.

And btw which FF is longer FF6 or 7 someone told me it was FF6, and i find that astounding as it is a 2mb game!!

And i forgot to mention FF7 rules FF6's music- i love the boss battle theme and the jenova battle music.

AND i like FF7's bosses better ie gits like reno rude and elena. And the best storyline of any FF7 (if u havent finished it PISS OFF)! cus the end of game boss is sephiroth another super cool characterintroduced throughout the whole game and hes vital towards the storyline and then suddenly goes evil.

Most other FF's go slap bang heres an end of game boss we have no idea who he is .... fight him anyways.

Edit by Gau: For the love of God, use the edit button! :(

Rude
05-25-2003, 11:14 PM
I beg to differ about the music. Considering FF6 was a SNES game, it's music was superior to FF7. This is just personal opinion however :)

Strider
05-26-2003, 12:52 AM
Kefka > Sephiroth

I agree with Rude that FFVI has better music than FFVII. That's not to say the music in VII is bad, but FFVI is much more to my liking.

The Esper system wasn't too much different from the Materia system, either. The only difference is that Espers don't affect your stats unless you level up. But, you still only learn spells through fighting, just like Materia.

I'm biased, though. I like FFVI.

Spatvark
05-26-2003, 01:04 AM
1) Multiple FF's, thus goes in GFF.
2) Don't double post; use the edit/delete button to add to previous posts.
3) They're both great games, but 6 edges it for me because I just preferred the characters.

PhoenixAsh
05-26-2003, 01:30 AM
FFVII is my favourate, it just had everything. VI was fantastic, but it just didn't stick in my mind as much. VII's plot was amazing if you let your imagination go, the characters were better IMO too. Materia kicks Espers ass anyday, it's much more customisable (as in it IS customisable).
Plus I prefer the mini-games of VII.

VI was great though, I should really play it again.

Prodigy
05-26-2003, 11:08 AM
6 was good but it's not a patch on 7.

7 had a better storyline, better characters, better character development, characters that you actually cared about, it was a lot more fun, the music was better, the graphics were obviously better and Sephiroth was much, much better than Kefka who is the worst bad guy ever. Also the ending to 6 was confused and ludicrously easy.

To sum up - 6 was still a good game, but it gets blown away by 7 imo.

Rude
05-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Also the ending to 6 was confused and ludicrously easy.

And 7's ending isn't both a) easy and b) confusing?

The way 6's final area was played in which you had to break up into 3 teams was a rather wonderful idea as it made you use all of your characters instead of just your favorite party of Sabin/Gogo/whoever/whoever :). FF6 while being 2-D, still beat FF7 in graphics because the character models in 7 were so boxed and pixelated it detracted from the overall aesthetic value.

6's gameplay is also better - 4 party members, each with at least a unique ability + being able to rotate in your party whoever you wanted is 10x better than the 3, customize them how you want, characters and being stuck with Cloud all game.

Kefka and Sephiroth are pretty much a tie... but Kefka was the villian with the better personality and was entirely more dynamic in the storyline. The aura surrounding Sephiroth's appearance made up for him.

Of course this is all relative opinion :)

playaGAW
05-26-2003, 05:53 PM
FF6 was better. Better music and more chracters Ilove more chracters. FF6 other advantage over 7 is how it lets you do whatever you feel like at whatever time. Like a primitive Grand Theft Auto. *LOVE VICE CITY*:cool: :cool: :D :mog: :mog: :mog: KUPO

DJZen
05-27-2003, 08:43 AM
What? VII had better characters? Mr. I have spooky mysterious past and Mr. T were better characters than a woman who was torn between her human side and her esper side and a man trying desperately to fight fate and bring his beloved back from the grave?

As for music, VII was weak. There were barely any memorable tunes, Aria De Mezzo Caraterre, Techno De Chocobo and Tina are easily on their own better than the entire FFVII soundtrack.

FFVII has its good points, but goddamn, characters and music aren't either of them! As for the bosses, I think they're pretty much equal only Kefka I hated more, I thought he was just a despicable person as opposed to generic evil force that does bad things.

Big D
05-27-2003, 09:18 AM
The vast majority of differences come down to simply matters of opinion. I prefer virtually everything about VII, but that's just me.

What sets Sephiroth apart as a villain, I think, is the fact that he actually had a purpose - to become a 'God', and to help his mother to recover her lost strength. Kefka, however, just like so many other FF villains, wanted to destroy everything - all life, even himself. Nihilism gets a bit dull, especially when there's so much of it.

Magai
05-28-2003, 03:31 AM
FF6=Great FF7=Great, I'd prefer FF6 because some elements found in 7 were in 6. There are more characters in 6, 7's has an ok amount of characters but also more gayer one than 6 does, 4 ppl parties in 6, music is tied I loved a lot of music in both 6 and 7. Bottom line I'd pick 6.

Fahd
05-29-2003, 12:38 PM
HOLD ON JUST 1 MINUTE NOW!!!

everyone seems to be forgetting what makes FF7 so damn more cooler than FF6 LIMIT BREAKS, they dont even feature in ff6 and someone sed FF7's characters were gay, i thought they were all cool. I mean ff6 has shadow who can throw! (sarcastic) and cyan with swordtech which is allright and so the only good character is sabin. And ure probally comparing their skillz to the ff7 chars, well compare the skillz to the limit breaks and obviously u have a winner, i mean what can be better than vincent turning into frankenstein and battering the hell out of bosses.

playaGAW
05-30-2003, 03:12 AM
FF6 did have limit breaks!!!In FF6 you can also use most chracter's ability's without any cost.

Lexy
05-30-2003, 07:30 AM
VI was way better imo.
I love VII, but VI had waaayy better music, and better graphics (VII felt like I was watching the music video for that song about moving refrigerators and color T.V's).
I liked the world and atmosphere of VI much better than VII's. The latter's world was too ugly for me. Why explore dirty sewers in a video game when I have to do that everyday in real life?
Also, the story and characters of VI ruled, as well as the Esper system. VII is definetly one of the best FF's, but VI is better imo.

Spatvark
05-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Limit Breaks are so much better in FF6 because when they do happen, you're like "WHAT THE FREAKING HELL WAS THAT?! I JUST KILLED THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

...or something like that =D?

m4tt
05-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Spatvark
Limit Breaks are so much better in FF6 because when they do happen, you're like "WHAT THE FREAKING HELL WAS THAT?! I JUST KILLED THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Omg I say that everytime I get one in FF6 (All FIVE times).

FFVI was and still is the best Final Fantasy game ever. FFVII is only like.. the 5th best.

frankbianca
06-01-2003, 07:47 PM
VII blows VI out of the water in my opinion.

1) TOO MANY CHARACTERS in ff6. Then after that, they forced you to go through kefka's tower using all of them, and that really got on my nerves. AND if you got the Extra characters, there were two that you couldnt even use. Stupid. AND many characters were useless, like strago and relm. Yeah yeah relm got the blue magic attacks for strago, but strago was probably the worst character in the game.

2) The esper system has to be the worst magic system ever. It's just plain horrible, it really irritated me. And summoning the espers was pretty pointless too. They barely did anything.

3) (SPOILERS) The ending for ff6 was really bad IMO. I didn't like 7's much either, but 6 was much worse. All 6 was was the characters getting out of the tower, and flying away on the airship. It also showed this city once or twice. NOTHING else happened, it was the most boring ending I've ever seen in my life.

4) That horrible opera scene...my lord that was bad..lol

5) I found the battle music in ff6 really annoying, and I don't even remember what the boss music sounded like. FF7's I can remember very clearly. Overall however, I think FF6 had the superior music of the two games. You hear the battle music VERY often though, and 6's got on my nerves. 6's music was better, but 7's was less repetitive.

6) Kefka vs Sephiroth. I'll call this one a push. Kefka is a lot funnier, but sephiroth was more of a badass. Both are great villians.

There's lots of other reasons I have, but Im too lazy to list them all right now.

PhoenixAsh
06-01-2003, 08:27 PM
The boss music for FFVII was fantastic, so was Aeris' death music. I mean REALLY good tracks.

Kefka is better than Sephiroth, but Jenova whips them both.

The characters in VII were better too, I cared about them more. Even though the main gameplay of VI was really free which was great, the battle system wasn't.

playaGAW
06-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Strago was sweet I used him a lot. Every chracter can be sweet you just have to know how to use them.(especially Gau, Cyan, Strago, Locke, Mog, and Terra).

KentucyFriedChocobo
06-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Ah, yes, the old question that has ignited countless flame wars on the internet... *ahem* Anywho, I personally prefer FFVII. I'm biased towards FFVII since it was my first RPG, but I recognized some advantages that FFVI has over FFVII. In reality, FFVI may be the better game, but how can I turn my back on my first RPG? ^_^;

The main thing I like about FFVI is it's innovation. For example, in exchange for a brainless, blonde, sword weilding male for a main character, we get an intelligent female lead that has to deal with being only half human and the emotions that accompany it. Also, in exchange for a silver-haired, melodramatic bishounen for a villain, we get a colorful, psychotic clown. (And for the record, EVIL CLOWNS RULE!)

Prodigy
06-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Actually come to think about it I think I'm in denial.

I've liked every FF game I've played and I tried to like 6 but I think the truth is that I just don't like it very much.
I don't see how people can say the music is better - it's not.

The graphics are dreadful. The characters are dull, there's too many of them and the development isn't anywhere near as good as in 7. The storyline seems a bit tired and predictable, never really got me excited.

The battle system in 6 was a LOT less fun than in 7. Random encounters occured virtually every 2 steps in 6. There were loads of pointless bits. It was too easy, not enough optional extras.

Hmmm, I guess it doesn't actually have any redeeming features!

Oh well, each to their own.

Big D
06-02-2003, 03:22 AM
I don't see how people can say the music is better - it's not.
That's purely a matter of opinion.

I agree about the random battles, though - far too many of them for my liking.

KimmY
06-02-2003, 12:04 PM
FFVI. >.>;

Rude
06-02-2003, 05:57 PM
The graphics are dreadful.

I don't know how anyone could possibly say this as FF6 ranks up there with SD2/3 for the best graphics that were squeezed out of the SNES. The sprites easily outdo the horrendous blocks of pixalated characters that VII provided.

Flying Mullet
06-02-2003, 06:27 PM
frankbianca's post is a good summary of arguement points for me to put my two cents on with.

Originally posted by frankbianca
VII blows VI out of the water in my opinion.
VI blows VII out of the water in my opinion.

1) TOO MANY CHARACTERS in ff6. Then after that, they forced you to go through kefka's tower using all of them, and that really got on my nerves. AND if you got the Extra characters, there were two that you couldnt even use. Stupid. AND many characters were useless, like strago and relm. Yeah yeah relm got the blue magic attacks for strago, but strago was probably the worst character in the game.
I enjoyed the multiple characters and open-endedness. Mulitple characters gives a game great replay value. VII is only replayable as long as you need to play again to catch the whole story whereas VI is replayable because there are so many different character combinations that you can try throughout the story. Plus half of the reason to get the extra characters is the quest itself. Yuffie and Vincent don't add anything extra to the game either. And Gogo and Umaro are weak and pointless unless you know how to play them. I will agree that Strago needs to go away to the old folks home, but that still leaves 13 characters for me to choose from.

2) The esper system has to be the worst magic system ever. It's just plain horrible, it really irritated me. And summoning the espers was pretty pointless too. They barely did anything.
Summoning espers in FFVI does damage, just like FFVII, so I don't see how they can be pointless. Plus there were espers that did other tasks beside deal damage, whereas FFVII's summons were just getting the next summon so you can do more damage. So FFVII's summons are just generic "next-one-deals-more-damage" summons wrapped with eye candy. And as StriderX284 said, you have to equip something either way to learn an ability, so I don't see how the esper system lacks compared to the materia system.

3) (SPOILERS) The ending for ff6 was really bad IMO. I didn't like 7's much either, but 6 was much worse. All 6 was was the characters getting out of the tower, and flying away on the airship. It also showed this city once or twice. NOTHING else happened, it was the most boring ending I've ever seen in my life.
If you want to generalize, neither ending was exciting. FFVI is a bunch of people flying around on an airship over the saved world and FFVII is a dog/cat/whatever checking out a saved world. There were details in each ending as to how each got there, but the end result is similar so I don't see how FFVII's ending is better than FFVI's ending.

No way, the opera scene is one of the best scenes in any Final Fantasy.

5) I found the battle music in ff6 really annoying, and I don't even remember what the boss music sounded like. FF7's I can remember very clearly. Overall however, I think FF6 had the superior music of the two games. You hear the battle music VERY often though, and 6's got on my nerves. 6's music was better, but 7's was less repetitive.
The music in FFVII was unoriginal and lacked any emotion. I remember after playing FFVII for a few hours I was already disappointed in the music, having played FFVI so many times in the previous years. FFVI's music was the pinnacle of the series' music in my opinion. FFIV had very moving music, and FFV as ok, but not as good as FFIV, then FFVI blew their socks off. Each song was laden with emotion and was a unique song in style, whereas all of FFVII's songs blur together. I can't put a FFVII song with a situation as they didn't have a unique feeling or emotion, they were all pretty much the same to me.

So yeah, FFVI rocks for me. :rock:

PhoenixAsh
06-02-2003, 11:50 PM
I'll answer those points one by one as Flying Mullet has.

VI blows VII out of the water in my opinion.

Meh.

I enjoyed the multiple characters and open-endedness. Mulitple characters gives a game great replay value. VII is only replayable as long as you need to play again to catch the whole story whereas VI is replayable because there are so many different character combinations that you can try throughout the story. Plus half of the reason to get the extra characters is the quest itself. Yuffie and Vincent don't add anything extra to the game either. And Gogo and Umaro are weak and pointless unless you know how to play them. I will agree that Strago needs to go away to the old folks home, but that still leaves 13 characters for me to choose from.

I was almost with you until you said Yuffie and Vincent didn't add anything extra to the game, at which point I realised you hadn't played VII properly.

Summoning espers in FFVI does damage, just like FFVII, so I don't see how they can be pointless. Plus there were espers that did other tasks beside deal damage, whereas FFVII's summons were just getting the next summon so you can do more damage. So FFVII's summons are just generic "next-one-deals-more-damage" summons wrapped with eye candy. And as StriderX284 said, you have to equip something either way to learn an ability, so I don't see how the esper system lacks compared to the materia system.

Materia beats Espers for many reasons. It's more customisable, there's more of it, you can combine it, it means the player can think instead of just equipping what makes you strongest (I don't count planning which stats to upgrade as really thinking).

If you want to generalize, neither ending was exciting. FFVI is a bunch of people flying around on an airship over the saved world and FFVII is a dog/cat/whatever checking out a saved world. There were details in each ending as to how each got there, but the end result is similar so I don't see how FFVII's ending is better than FFVI's ending.

VI had a decent ending, I dont't remember it though. VII's had an ending I remember, it had so many scenes that were so huge to the game.

Erm, let me see, someone acting to decent music. A main character getting dramatically murdered and buried by her love to an improved version of pretty much the same music.

The music in FFVII was unoriginal and lacked any emotion. I remember after playing FFVII for a few hours I was already disappointed in the music, having played FFVI so many times in the previous years. FFVI's music was the pinnacle of the series' music in my opinion. FFIV had very moving music, and FFV as ok, but not as good as FFIV, then FFVI blew their socks off. Each song was laden with emotion and was a unique song in style, whereas all of FFVII's songs blur together. I can't put a FFVII song with a situation as they didn't have a unique feeling or emotion, they were all pretty much the same to me.

I'm sorry, this might be opinion, but you cannot say that Aeris' theme was unemotional or forgetable. The boss music was just as good IMO.

Flying Mullet
06-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Seems that this format is working pretty good so why stop now.

Originally posted by Phoenix 17
I was almost with you until you said Yuffie and Vincent didn't add anything extra to the game, at which point I realised you hadn't played VII properly.

True, Vincent and Yuffie do add more to the story in the sense that they flesh out the world a little more, but whether or not you get them has no real impact on the main story of the game.

Materia beats Espers for many reasons. It's more customisable, there's more of it, you can combine it, it means the player can think instead of just equipping what makes you strongest (I don't count planning which stats to upgrade as really thinking).

It's true that you can customize more with materia, but it also makes the characters androgenous(I can't think of a better term at the moment) and the materia must be used to make characters unique. I liked the fact that FFVI gave each character a unique skill or ability, and for at least half of them, that skill or ability fit into the storyline(Sabin uses martial arts, Terra morphs, etc...). In FFVII everyone can fight and use items, then materia must be used to go beyond that. I just enjoyed the personalization of characters in combat more in FFVI.

Erm, let me see, someone acting to decent music. A main character getting dramatically murdered and buried by her love to an improved version of pretty much the same music.

Aeris' death didn't do much for me. She annoyed me and I was glad that she got murdered. Plus by this time in the series character's getting murdered is pretty commonplace and almost overused for plot twists. The opera made me get more emotional. I guess to each their own on this one.

I'm sorry, this might be opinion, but you cannot say that Aeris' theme was unemotional or forgetable. The boss music was just as good IMO.
I honestly don't remember her theme, but it has been a while since I've played. True, FFVII has a few memorable songs and such, but more from FFVI sticks with me than FFVII.

Big D
06-03-2003, 12:09 AM
I found Materia to be much better than Magicite. Materia fits in perfectly with the science/nature of FFVII's world, its funtioning and purpose makes a lot of sense. It's kind of logical. Magicite, on the other hand... the crystallised corpses of Espers (who're supposed to be 'not too dissimilar from Humans') which allow characters to use and learn magic as long as they're carrying one - and only one, mind you. Materia is just more 'realistic' in my opinion.

Note: In my opinion. If you disagree, fair enough.

Rude
06-04-2003, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by frankbianca

You however did not state why the Opera Scene is the best scene in any final fantasy. The reason why, my friends is this: at the end of the opera you fight Ultros :)

Obsidian
06-04-2003, 08:42 PM
FF7's image kicks alot of points on for the fans. As I mentioned in the hair style thread, different looking characters would = Not as big an attachment to FF7 for most of the fans. 6 and 7 measure up to about the same level of quality, but I like the way 6 pulls it off. It is the only Final Fantasy in which I can truly say "Yeah, I can relate to him" or "Heh, this fellow is just like my friend". The cast was very down to earth, and I buy that even in a fantasy game before I'll ever buy the whole "silent, tortured hero" gig; which has been played to death and has become utterly annoying.

6 has SNES graphics, sure. But there's one point about them that scores big points in the artistic area for me. It keeps the mood through the color scheme, which is a very subtle touch. Sort of like the film Alien 3.