PDA

View Full Version : FMV in FFI

final boss
05-29-2003, 08:24 PM
In FFI [FFO] who's the guy who tries to kill the dragon?

Shuin Maxwell
05-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Garland.

Morgan
05-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Fighter

MJN SEIFER
05-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Yes it's gotta be fighter!!...well maybe but you know it's not garland because...

1: RPGs don't show Bad guys Killing monsters!!

2: Garland's CRAP!!

FuSoYa
05-31-2003, 12:52 AM
I had read on some other thread someone saying it was Garland, too. Can't think of what dragon he would be fighting, though :confused: I think it's just more of a stylized fantasy scene, since the heroes in the game are kind of generic.

black orb
05-31-2003, 02:12 AM
>>> Purple armor and horns = Garland

Garland
05-31-2003, 04:14 AM
It's probably Garland. Some people say fighter, and some say Garland. The guy does wear a purplish armor, and a large horned helmet - very Garlandish. He also carries a crystal on him (the necklace). This is the thing that makes most people say fighter, since he's a swordsman with a crystal. I say it could go either way. The outfit is very similar to Garland's, but on the other hand, Amano's art is often very stylized, and he could be a CG of one of Amano's interpretations of "Knight". A swordsman bearing a crystal, fighting a red dragon is very Light Warriorish. Anyhow, I'd have no trouble believing either side. In the mean time, I have a vested interest in maintaining that the guy in the CG is Garland, for obvious reasons. :p

shane613
05-31-2003, 06:21 AM
i dont think its garland, cuz in the cg shots you can unlock at the end of the game show a big gray knight carrying a sword with lightning behind him that looks more like garland than the guy at the beginning.

Bahamut2000X
05-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Most art they have for the games look nothing like the people in the game sometimes. Besides that picture of Garland was probally for the games battle sprite. They decided they needed more of a person for the FMV because a guy in grey armor with a bit of purple wouldn't be as cool I guess.

Besides it's Garland. End of discussion. Since when have you seen a fighter with purple armor, a horned helmet (needless to say, the same purple armor and horned helmet of Garland) and since when have you seen a fighter cast a spell on his sword?

1: RPGs don't show Bad guys Killing monsters!!

I disagree. FFV showed X-Death. FFIV had Golbez. FFVI the bad guys killed lot's throughout the entire game. FFX they kill all the time as well.

2: Garland's CRAP!!

Obviously you haven't gotten to the end of the game, cause Garland IS the final boss. He transforms himself into Chaos at the end.

Imperia
05-31-2003, 06:03 PM
He's carrying a crystal, so it has to be the fighter, but either way, he's still so handsome...:love:

MJN SEIFER
06-01-2003, 07:09 PM
I disagree. FFV showed X-Death. FFIV had Golbez. FFVI the bad guys killed lot's throughout the entire game. FFX they kill all the time as well

I don't know that part when is it?

Obviously you haven't (SPOILER)gotten to the end of the game, cause Garland IS the final boss. He transforms himself into Chaos at the end.

No I only bought the game a week ago ut I knew that anyway and this was BEFORE the time-loop

BobDarkavenger
06-01-2003, 07:13 PM
It's Garland because I say so. Beat that logic.

playaGAW
06-01-2003, 08:53 PM
It's a knight. A generic knight except it.

SpikingZero
06-02-2003, 12:11 AM
It was Garland before he became evil.

Rude
06-02-2003, 05:30 PM
When was Garland ever not evil?

MJN SEIFER
06-02-2003, 05:31 PM
As far as I know he could have been good whenn he was a knight for the king (Unless i got that wrong)

Flying Mullet
06-02-2003, 05:36 PM
It's a generic character in a generic battle fighting a generic dragon in a generic battle FMV to open the game with generic charcters.

And if it is Garland, then why is he fighting this dragon?

MJN SEIFER
06-02-2003, 06:56 PM
And if it is Garland,

i am still sceptical but as you were saying FM

he is a KNIGHT that's just what they do!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-02-2003, 07:14 PM
As I said several months ago, it's the Paramekian Emperor, darn it.

http://kayarco2.hypermart.net/ff/art/ffii/paramekia.png

Garland
06-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Sadly, if the Emperor wasn't already featured in the FMV for FFII, and was strikingly different from the knight in the FFI FMV, that Amano art could almost prove him to be the Emperor. That's not a good thing. It just goes to show that androgynous, color-impaired figures shouldn't be abused, for they all look alike. Is that the Emperor, or Garland, or the Amano representation of the Knight in FF1? Cain from FFIV looked quite similar to that as well, and I'm sure several other characters from Amano illustrated games look pretty close to that. Amano art pretty rarely identifies a subject with any clarity. The only thing one knows at a glance is that Amano drew it.

Flying Mullet
06-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Garland
Sadly, if the Emperor wasn't already featured in the FMV for FFII, and was strikingly different from the knight in the FFI FMV, that Amano art could almost prove him to be the Emperor. That's not a good thing. It just goes to show that androgynous, color-impaired figures shouldn't be abused, for they all look alike. Is that the Emperor, or Garland, or the Amano representation of the Knight in FF1? Cain from FFIV looked quite similar to that as well, and I'm sure several other characters from Amano illustrated games look pretty close to that. Amano art pretty rarely identifies a subject with any clarity. The only thing one knows at a glance is that Amano drew it.
So you're saying that it's a chocobo in the opening FMV?

playaGAW
06-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
It's a generic character in a generic battle fighting a generic dragon in a generic battle FMV to open the game with generic charcters.

DUH!!!!!!!!!

BobDarkavenger
06-04-2003, 02:28 AM
obviously Garland is fighting the dragon because he feels like it. Evil lords of chaos don't need to bother with things like rational thought and reason. I mean the name Chaos implies he does chaotic things....like fighting random dragons while looking pretty.

Zifnab
06-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Well if we look at the Amano art:

http://www.gameforms.com/games/playstation/ff12/media/media18/ff1-amano-03.jpg

The horned figure seems to have a mirror showing some girl. From what I remember there was only one female in FF1 who even made a tiny impact on the game; the Princess of Corneria, who Garland kidnapped.
Of course it could be a Knight looking at her so he can go save her, but seeing as it's task #1 in the game it's impossible that a Knight job class could go save her. So my guess is Garland. Maybe fighting the dragon was to give him alittle more character or something, and make him seem more significant.

Garland
06-04-2003, 09:52 PM
That could be. After all, he is a boss, and a former Cornerian knight. Perhaps they wanted you the player to have some idea of his fighting prowess. It's also a good reference for your abilities. He easily defeats a big dragon, so he's obviously powerful. That you can in turn easily defeat him gives credibility to your being capable of saving the world. If you can defeat Garland, it's believable that you're the real light warriors.

BobDarkavenger
06-05-2003, 12:20 AM
except for the fact that any of the dragons in the game would slaughter a low level party.

shane613
06-06-2003, 12:55 AM
beat the game and look at the CG gallery that opens up. there is a picture of a 3d garland, and looks much closer to the little sprite than the other guy in the FMV does. i think that the guy in the beginning is just a knight fighting a dragon. he has a crystal, so he cant be garland. and garland is at the end of the game in those CG scenes. so there ya go.

black orb
06-06-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by shane613
beat the game and look at the CG gallery that opens up. there is a picture of a 3d garland, and looks much closer to the little sprite than the other guy in the FMV does. i think that the guy in the beginning is just a knight fighting a dragon. he has a crystal, so he cant be garland. and garland is at the end of the game in those CG scenes. so there ya go.
>>> But also remember the mirror picture, its pretty obvious that the guy portrayed there is Garland "the conerian knight", and his evil shadow or something on his back..

Sam1
06-13-2003, 08:29 AM
About the mirror picture. In the collections menu of FFO, under Art Gallery, that very same picture appears titled "Princess and Her Light." This seems to indicate that the figure is a light warrior and not, in fact, Garland. There are also several other pictures that feature the light warriors that use "light" in the titles like that, which provides more backing to the mirror picture not being Garland. The knight in that picture is, as I think was mentioned in an earlier post, strikingly similar to the dude in the FMV into, which seems to indicate that it is not Garland in the movie. Although I think a movie with Garland in it would have been pretty cool. And as for it being impossible for a Knight (rather than a fighter) that rescues the princess: It's just a picture and doesn't have to follow the game progression. For all we know it could have been drawn before the class change had been thought up. Or maybe the artist just really liked that image of a knight, assuming it even is knight. Well, that's my buck fifty. Although, I have the sneaking suspicion that it is actually one of Matoya's brooms that has assumed human form in order to take the light of the ORBs, er, Crystals, for himself. :)

robfinalfantasy
11-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Have any of you beat the game and looked in the Photo Gallery? Check out the photo entitled "The Light and the Darkness". It shows that very character with Garland in his shadow. What does that insinuate?

Cz
11-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
Besides it's Garland. End of discussion. Since when have you seen a fighter with purple armor, a horned helmet
In the FFI concept art.

and since when have you seen a fighter cast a spell on his sword?

Or Garland, for that matter?

The character in the opening FMV is a light warrior, in my opinion. He has the crystal, resembles numerous concept art drawings of light warriors unlocked during the game (Princess and her Light, Dragon vs. Light, Ochu vs. Light, Behemoth vs. Light, Demon in the Clouds.) and doesn't look evil in the slightest. Add this to the fact that CG artwork of a clearly different Garland is unlocked by completing the game, and it seemed pretty clear to me that the opening movie depicted a Fighter/Knight.

Originally posted by robfinalfantasy
Check out the photo entitled "The Light and the Darkness". It shows that very character with Garland in his shadow. What does that insinuate?
It shows both good and evil. Nothing more. If the character in the opening FMV was Garland, why not use the Garland depicted in that piece of artwork? Why create a 'second' Garland?

robfinalfantasy
11-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Black Mage 121
It shows both good and evil. Nothing more. If the character in the opening FMV was Garland, why not use the Garland depicted in that piece of artwork? Why create a 'second' Garland? It just might be to differentiate from the good and evil Garland. We all know he use to be a knight of Coneria and then he turned on them. We've seen this type of thing before when a character changes sides and changes his appearance. i.e. Cecil