PDA

View Full Version : A few questions.

Yamaneko
05-30-2003, 03:31 AM
1. You know how if you right click on a file and highlight "Send to", it shows you a bunch of programs? Well, for some reason a program that has been deleted for the longest time (Foxmail) still shows up, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've looked for folders and through the registry for remnants of this program, but I've deleted everything, and it still shows up. Mind you, it tries to look for Foxmail, but it can't find it because it's been deleted. But that dang command is pissing me off. Help.

2. I was using IE6 today (sorry Firebird) and I noticed that under "Tools" it would show "Messenger", "Yahoo! Messenger", and "Sun Java Console". How do I get rid of these commands?

3. Is it safe to remove a registry file named "Ghostrecon" and "Ghostr~1"? They're labeled as critical files under jv16 Power Tools. It's just a game registry file. Should be safe to delete, right? Ughh, MS up to its old tricks again.

Thanks in advance.:)

Dr Unne
05-30-2003, 04:02 AM
1. In XP it's c:\Documents and Settings\username\SendTo, I think. Or c:\windows\SendTo or something. You can add your own links in there to add them to the sendto menu too. Like I used to add Notepad into mine, when I had Wind95. Or add a folder or something. Delete the links from there and it should be gone from the sendto menu.

2. Use Firebird again. Honestly though, I don't know, other than uninstalling the programs. You probably don't want to uninstall your Java VM though. So maybe just ignore the menu items.

3. It's a .reg file? .reg files hold info that can be inserted into your registry. The .reg files themselves aren't accessed by Windows or anything, you just open the file once and Windows will suck the registry info out of them and insert them into the registry itself, and then the file is useless. If you don't need the info that's in the .reg files, i.e. you already inserted that info into your registry and/or you know you don't want to and never will, you can delete them, I'm pretty sure. Then again, I don't know what jv16 Power Tools is, or why you have registry files sitting around that an uninstaller wouldn't delete itself for example.

Yamaneko
05-30-2003, 04:09 AM
1. Thanks. :)

2. Of course I'll keep using Firebird. Oh, and all three of those programs are uninstalled, even the Java VM (never use it anyways). Meh, that's fine. I rarely use IE at home. Last time was probably 2 months ago.

3. http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
It's a registry cleaner. I'll go ahead and delete those two files. Uninstallers always leave things behind, especially in the registry.

Thanks Unne. :)

Dr Unne
05-30-2003, 04:15 AM
Here, this is helpful. <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&threadm=uv%23uLckxBHA.2552%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26q%3Dinternet%2Bexplorer%2Bmenu%2Bremove%2BYahoo[/url]!%2BMessenger%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg">Darn MB messed up the link...</a> Google groups is a good place to find answers to obscure computer problems.

Yamaneko
05-30-2003, 05:28 AM
Hey, thanks. I looked for some other things that have been plaguing my computer and I found solutions to most of the problems. Google works wonders.