PDA

View Full Version : Audio codec problems

Erdrick Holmes
05-30-2003, 08:10 PM
I had a codec pack that allows me to fix my MPEG or .avi vidoe footage then I didn't need it anymore so Ideleted it, now I cannot play MP3s anymore I was able to play MP3s before I had the Codec pack but I won't anymore, why is this happening?

Flying Mullet
05-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Did you wipe a folder that had all of the codec pack info and files? It's possible that the codec pack used files that already existed on your machine to play mp3s, and if you deleted without mercy, you could have wiped a couple of files that your computer needs to play mp3s.

crono_logical
05-30-2003, 08:23 PM
That's the problem with uninstalling codec packs, they delete more than they should in some sense, because they don't usually make a backup of the current config, they install on top. If you told the pack to install an MP3 codec, it did that at the same time as wiping the Windows one, then when you uninstalled, it doesn't replace the Windows one when you remove the one you installed, so you've got nothing left :p Chances are whatever codec pack you used if it did all that for MPG and AVI probably included hacked audio ones too, so removing those has also removed your audio codecs.

Basically you should be very careful with codec packs, especially when removing them, since they can be rather dodgy :p You're either going to have to reinstall Windows now to get them back, or install a codec pack again (same or different, doesn't matter, as long as it has such codecs in it to do what's needed) :p

Erdrick Holmes
05-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Wow that was an easy fix, I went on Kazaa lite and dowloaded a really sweet codec pack, that fixed it imeidaitly. Ok I think this can be closed now.

crono_logical
05-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Nah, other people might have codec questions :p