PDA

View Full Version : Help with ff5 rom on this site

xxaaaxx
05-31-2003, 12:24 PM
When i load it in snes9x, it says 'bad checksum'. what does that mean? Will it crash or glitch?

Zifnab
05-31-2003, 12:33 PM
No, it should play fine. Mine shows that message for every ROM and I've played a few. :)

TheAbominatrix
05-31-2003, 12:34 PM
I dont exactly know what 'bad checksum' means, but I do know that almost all of my many roms say that, and I've never had problems with them. You shouldnt have any problems with the FFV ROM.

crono_logical
05-31-2003, 12:47 PM
A checksum is basically a number calculated from the data in the file - any changes to the file will alomst likely produce a different checksum, so if when comparing the calculated value for the current copy of the file against the known good internal checksum they're different, then you know the file has either been tampered with or is corrupt.

In the case of FF5 though, the bad checksum isn't because it's corrupt (or shouldn't be :p ), it's because the ROM has been tampered with :p Basically because it's a translated ROM, and not an original, and the checksum itself wasn't corrected after patching the ROM with English dialog :p Unless you really want to play it in Japanese, then it's not really a problem in this case :p If you got a bad checksum for the english FF6 ROM however, and you know it should be an original and not modified, then it might be a bad sign :p

xxaaaxx
05-31-2003, 12:49 PM
wow...3 responses in 10 minutes..thx guys

TheAbominatrix
05-31-2003, 12:50 PM
We pride ourselves on service! *sticks an EoFF hat on and does a little jig to the jingle for their happy commercial*