PDA

View Full Version : The FF2 level up system formula

Zifnab
05-31-2003, 12:52 PM
I've been trying to figure out the different formula for increasing the stats in FF2, starting with HP. I thought I had one going, but now it seems somewhat randomised.

- First I think it's safe to say that the more HP you loose the greater the chance of a HP increase. I've had about 10% HP knocked off of me in battle and had a HP increase, yet also got a party member to red (critical) and not gained any HP at all. Anyone know the exact stats? I think a sensible suggestion might be that the % of HP knocked off is your chance of a HP bonus (so if you loose 90% of your HP you have a 90% chance of a stat increase?). That's speculation though so I don't know for sure.

- This is the frustrating part for me. At first it seemed that for every HP bonus you gain, you gain an additional 1 HP for every time. This is how it was when I was leveling up Leon/Lionheart earlier today:

2086 - difference of 65
2152 - difference of 66
2219 - difference of 67
2287 - difference of 68
2355 - difference of 68
2423 - difference of 68
2492 - difference of 69
2561 - difference of 69
2631 - difference of 70

For the greater part the theory of HP = previous HP increase +1 seems to be valid, but it does seem to get 'stuck' at times, like at 68 and 69. I'm going to keep track of Leon's stats to see if there is some sort of pattern and if the 1 HP increase seems to stay true. I'll also try it on the other three members and see how their stats grow.

So... I guess the point of this thread is to discuss your own opinions on how the stats increase at times. I'm curious how other people found gaining agility, as it seems to be completly random to me.

DJZen
06-02-2003, 08:27 PM
It's not random at all. The way stats work in FF2 is that they each have their own level. Using that stat causes it to gain "experience". Getting hit raises your HP as well as your endurance. Casting black magic causes your MP and intelligence to rise. Casting white magic also raises MP, but it raises spirit instead of intelligence. Attacking an opponent raises strength. Targetting an opponent for attack raises accuracy. Having a spell cast on a character will raise his or her magic defense. But agility? Just get targetted by an attack. So a character attacking him/herself would be raising his/her strength, accuracy, endurance, HP and agility, as well as getting more proficiency in whichever weapon they are using.

As for WHEN you get these level ups, it's like I said about "experience". Let's say you need to lose 100 HP to increase your HP. You get into a battle and lose 20 HP. This means you need to lose 80 more. Even if you restore that character's HP, you will still only need to lose 80 more. Let's say the next battle you lose 78 HP and almost die. You restore HP, but still only need to lose 2 more HP. Let's say your next battle is with a Hornet and you lose 3 HP. Your HP will then rise at the end of battle. I don't know how getting KO'd factors in, if it factors in at all, but I think it's possible that being KO'd in battle undoes any damage you've taken.

DocFrance
06-02-2003, 10:10 PM
The amount your HP increases is not random at all. In fact, that amount is equal to your VIT (or vitality, or whatever). So basically: New HP = HP + VIT.

I'm starting to think we need to start a sticky thread explaining the FF2j stuff.

Zifnab
06-05-2003, 02:47 PM
I think I see. So the reason my HP 'stuck' sometimes was due to a lack of increase in VIT (endurance?)? I always never bothered taking note of them as they didn't seem to make much difference in battle.

And I believe a KO doesn't affect it at all. During some of those HP increases, I accidently killed Leon then promptly revived him in battle, and he'd usually still gained those HP increases.

Ethéré
06-09-2003, 04:40 AM
If you attack your own party members it helps your HP out, but in FFOrigins they balanced the formula out so that its harder to increase stats.