PDA

View Full Version : Modem trouble

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2003, 08:05 PM
My modem has been acting weird latelty, just when I logged on tis morning my modem was transmitting at 19.2 kbps, when it usually travels at 50.6 kbps. Is there something wrong with my modem?

Garland
05-31-2003, 08:23 PM
You might have a particularly busy server. Logging in at different hours will give different results. I know when I was using dialup, I would often connect at a mere 19 or 30 rather than the usual 53 kbps. It's probably not your modem, but rather your server.

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2003, 08:34 PM
I think it might be the modem because as the modem was dialing it made this unusual buzzing noise, it never made that noise before ever.

crono_logical
05-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Try another modem to see if it really is the modem, and not the phoneline itself.

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2003, 11:58 PM
I'd try another mdem if I had one, are there any other things that may be the source of the problem and not just the modem of the phoneline, because I really wanna check out other things before I go and take the casing of my system and pull out the modem to see.

crono_logical
06-01-2003, 01:23 AM
I assume it's internal then?

You didn't reinstall drivers for anything recently, or Windows, or install any new hardware or change any hardware settings lately?

I'd also say check the settings for the COM port the modem is on (probably COM3 if it's internal) and make sure that's at the right speed i.e. 57600 or 115200 bps - that's probably floating around in Device Manager somewhere. And when you talked about the buzzing, maybe you turned the modem speaker on and used to have it off all the time before? I always had the speaker on when I used to have a modem just to hear the dial tones as it connected - it'd always buzz after the dialtone for the ISP number, before going silent once actually connected :p