PDA

View Full Version : Don't call japanese Jap

Fujiyamato
06-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Those who call japanese jap never deserve to play FF11.
Stay away from ff11!
We the japanese never admit such foolish ass holes to FF11 world. Do you understand?
We the japanese are very sick of forign guys without sense
of politness.

Alpha
06-02-2003, 05:58 AM
Does it really matter that much? The Japanese can call us yanks for all I care.

crono_logical
06-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I think it depends on the person you're calling on an individual case whether they care or not.

But then, I don't want to play FF11 anyway - It's an online RPG, and that's just ew for me :D

ZeZipster
06-02-2003, 05:45 PM
What are you babbling about? Who called you a Jap? Why don't you go flame/murder/what-ever that person instead wasting space on the FF11 forums. I don't really see how that's related to FF11 any-ways. I haven't heard "Jap" since... I have never heard a person use "Jap" in person.

Mr. Graves
06-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Racism is bad...yep yep.

Fujiyamato
06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
ha! racism? I don't deny racism.
Most of the japanese are racists potentialy.
There are some possibility that foregn people are discriminated in japan. African,European,Chinese,etc
But If you would like to play in FF11, I recommend you
not to call japanese person "jap".

Flying Mullet
06-02-2003, 08:17 PM
I don't think that there's anyone here that would use that term. This group tends to be a pretty japanese-tolerant if not in love with the culture and everything that is japanese. but to come in here and insinuate that everyone here uses deragotory terms is not a nice thing to do. It's one thing to tell everyone that people are using the term and it's bothering you, but it's another thing to start a thread telling us that we don't deserve to play because we're all bigots because we're not japanese.

vp180sx
06-06-2003, 02:07 AM
.....its the year 2000 (well its 2003) segregation of races is not even a issue..... it barely exist. it should not matter what we call each other, if we were white, black, or so on, we are all one race....... humans.

by puting labels on each other with names like "jap" (jus an example) we farther feed to the dividends to the human race.... if this continues, there will be separation from dark japanese and light japaness, etc.

....well you get the point right?

PS: i dont mean any disrepect but typing "jap" is a lot shorter than typing "japanese". (well thats why i think people might do that). im rather fond of the japenese culture and there accomplishments = )

Liquid Glass
06-06-2003, 03:02 AM
ditto

Ouch!
06-06-2003, 03:59 AM
Er... right... just as an echo here...

Japanese people are cool. I've heard they're very nice on FFXI. But you, sir, for some reason, come off as quite the opposite to me. I'd like to simply state the reasons why I have lost respect for you, and only you, not your culture.

1. You flame us by generally stating that the people here call the Japanese 'Japs'.

2. You get upset for being called a 'Jap' and then continue to say that Japanese are potentially racist. That my friend, is hypocrisy. Telling one to not make racist remarks and then go on to say that your culture that is being 'put down' by racism is potentially racist.

3. You've been rude to us when we have done nothing to you. Do not generalize and harass other because someone else harrassed you.

And what are you worried about anyways? If we get FFXI, that's right, IF, we'll have our own servers anyways! You'll only have to deal with importers. With that I bid ye g'night sir and beg that you think before typing as you shouldn't make a fool of yourself.

P.S. I'm also fine with being called a yank.

Shlup
06-06-2003, 06:10 AM
I still don't get why you dissaprove of "Jap", Fujiyamato. It's a lot shorter then "Japanese."

moNkEydOo82k
06-06-2003, 08:12 PM
its totally understandable...

I remember way back when i was a little kid...my step dad, who is japanese, got pissed off at my biological dad, cause whenever we came back home from our visit with our biological dad, we'd come home and use that word "jap" cause our biological dad said it...

one day my step dad confronted my biological dad and told him to stop using that word...its obviously an insult to use the word "jap" against japanese, and since then i've been, too, gettin mad at ppl that call japanese "japs" ... so for Fujiyamato and all other Japanese out there...please do not call Japanese "japs"...its not hard to say "japanese" or even type it out...

Flying Mullet
06-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
I still don't get why you dissaprove of "Jap", Fujiyamato. It's a lot shorter then "Japanese."
In addition to moNkEydOo82k's post, "Jap", came about in the United States during World War II when the U.S. and Japan were at war. "Jap" was/is a derogatory term reffering to the Japanese that was used during World War II and from there on.

Fujiyamato
06-15-2003, 05:40 PM
>>Alpha

Yes. I think it does matter very much.
If you plan on playing in FF11 world, where mainly consists of japanese players, you must take care what the japanese hate.
Japanese staff in Square also may think forign players calling japanese jap shouldn't play this game.

Fujiyamato
06-15-2003, 05:54 PM
>>Mr.Graves

Personally, I don't think racism is a very bad thing. sorry. Everyone has his taste in his mind which people he like or hate.
Even If there are some people who hate the japanese ,
Most of the japanese don't care and it doesn't influence japanese lives in japan. Feel free to discriminate the japanese if you like. haha :tongue:

XERO
06-16-2003, 02:10 AM
so where exactly were u called a jap? on this site or forum? i think not cuz most ppl here are pretty cool about things and if they said it i dont think they meant it in a bad way,they were probably just some lazy ass. and if u dont think racism is a bad thing then why the hell are u ranting about being called a jap or the word jap? damn hypocrites...unless everyone is taking u wrong and u are just warning us in a friendly manner...who knows

Doc Sark
06-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Dammit, when the game comes to england, i don't want any of you calling us britons: brits, poms, limeys, hooligans, toffs, tossers, soccer thugs (in fact steer clear of the word soccer altogether as it is an insult to our national game!!), and especially not welsh, any of you who confuse us with the welsh gonna have to pay, you know what i'm saying. Seriously though, as much as this thread amuses me, i think its an issue that will have to be tackled as and when it is encountered. One thread is unlikely to change the world, I've heard the japanese called a lot worse things, its not right, but thats life and we all gotta live with it. Pinch of salt, take it on the chin, stiff upper lip, what what, tally ho. I'm sure it is mainly down to naivety as opposed to deliberate racism that people use the word jap. As for racism not being a bad thing, i think WWII is a testament to the extent racism can go to, and it most definitely IS a bad thing. To say otherwise qualifies you for the Saddam Hussain school of terrorism. Well done. We got an organisation in england, Kick Racism out of Football (soccer to you yanks....i'm sorry americans), we should have an organisation called Kick Racism Out of er....er whats the FFXI world called again? Sorry my teeth are rotting so badly i can't concentrate.

ZeZipster
06-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Ok, what the hell? You people think we sit here and plot calling people these names? Oh-yes, I can't wait for FFXI so I can go around calling people Japs and Brits. BWAHAHAAHAHAHAAAA! Trust me no one here has that intent.

Doc Sark
06-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Chill man, the brits thing was meant as an ironic joke, i know no-one here has that intent.

Bahamut2000X
06-18-2003, 01:30 AM
Fujiyamato, you are quite mistaken actually. You beleibe that the english speaking players are going to be on the Japanese speakign servers. That is not true. So you have nothing to worry about because we get our own servers to play on where you can't tell the difference of where someone is from unless they tell you.

Citizen Bleys
06-18-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Fujiyamato
Those who call japanese jap never deserve to play FF11.
Stay away from ff11!
We the japanese never admit such foolish ass holes to FF11 world. Do you understand?
We the japanese are very sick of forign guys without sense
of politness.

If you ask me, that post was way more racist (generalizing all gaijin as anti-Japanese) than the term 'Jap'

I can understand being upset by a racist terminology, but that's not a carte blanche to start flaming all non-Japanese people without provocation. Two wrongs do not make a right.

That goes double when it comes to labels, because only a very few people are offended by labels. Go ahead, call me a Canuck, Eskimo, whatever you want, and that's perfectly acceptable. It's only not acceptable when you use it to someone who would be offended by it. Sometimes, it's got to be a judgment call--you've got to judge, based on how well you know the person in question, whether it's appropriate. It's like using tu versus vous in French, or choosing a pronoun in Japanese (i.e, using anata instead of temae)

Most of us, btw, know that when you say "foreign guys without sense of politeness," you're just translating "gaijin," which is every bit as offensive as "Jap," if not moreso. (Personally, I don't mind being called gaijin. I call myself gaijin. There's no question, however, that the word has a connotation of "barbarian")

EDIT: The short version being: Yeah, some gaijin do say "Jap" or "Nip" in a derogatory manner, but more Japanese people say "gaijin." If you want to over-generalize everybody from outside Japan as racists, then this is what is known as the pot calling the kettle black.

pag.xero
06-24-2003, 12:38 PM
How do you some of you not know that Jap is a racist term?? It doesnt sound as bad as other racist comments but it's just as potent. I'm not asian so it doesnt really offend me, but i'm astounded when people say things like "Personally, I don't think racism is a very bad thing. sorry. Everyone has his taste in his mind which people he like or hate." or "Does it really matter that much? The Japanese can call us yanks for all I care."
Simply incredible.

Mr. Graves
06-25-2003, 02:57 AM
This is pointless. I'm wondering why I'm even contributing. Meh.

For one thing, The Gaijin will get our own servers, so we can play this game without ever contacting Japanese Players. That is done simply because of language barrier promblems, I'm assuming. (There culd be other reasons I'm not aware of...) So, with that in mind, Fujiyamoto's argument holds no water. Except maybe he wants to let some steam out.

Mr.Graves

Personally, I don't think racism is a very bad thing. sorry. Everyone has his taste in his mind which people he like or hate.
Even If there are some people who hate the japanese ,
Most of the japanese don't care and it doesn't influence japanese lives in japan. Feel free to discriminate the japanese if you like. haha

So, why was it a big deal before?? Now you're saying it's completly fine. Judging by your logic that racism isn't bad, I can say with certainty, Japanese or not, that you're one misguided individual.

Now, let's let this die, please.

Citizen Bleys
06-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Graves
I can say with certainty, Japanese or not, that you're one misguided individual.

I realize that this discussion was getting quite heated, but direct personal attacks are quite uncalled-for. It's possible that the flamebait nature of this post may have been due to difficulty Fujiyamato may have had with the English language rather than intent; From a recent personal experience*, I know that this happens all too easily when speaking a language other than one's native language.

*I got the French words for "four" and "twenty" confused. Had the French person in question not realized that there was no way I actually meant twenty, it could have cost a few bucks ><

Now, I'll try a bit of Japanese, and probably mess it up pretty badly:

藤大和さん: 人種差別はいたるところにある、でもだれもすべて人種差別主義者では有りません。 外人は何人かジャップ言います、 でも外人はすべてしつれいでは有りません。 EoFF人は日本人を主に観賞します 。 (This next sentence is done with babelfish, because I'm not good enough in Japanese to express it)
藤大和さんが外人 の人種差別主義者全員を呼んだときに, それはこれらの人々の多数をおこらせた 。
あいにく、この話はたくさんおこったになりました、そしてかぎがかけりなければなりません。

If somebody wants to start this thread again as a discussion, minus the flaming, feel free.