PDA

View Full Version : Your first Final Fantasy vs. your favorite

Flying Mullet
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
I've always noticed that a lot of threads dealing with "This Final Fantasy is the best" or "This Final Fantasy is better than that one" have arguements that include the fact that people like the Final Fantasy game because it was their first. Hence this thread is born. I am curious to see how much of a hold nostalgia has on us all.

So which Final Fantasy was the first one you ever played and which Final Fantasy is your favorite of all time?

My first would be FFI and my favorite is FFVI.

m4tt
06-02-2003, 06:55 PM
My first was FFIV, and my favorite is FFVI.

I pretty much can't stand FFIV ever since I bought the Hard Type for the playstation.

Psychotic
06-02-2003, 08:10 PM
"Your first Final Fantasy vs. your favorite"

So I guess that's FFVII vs. FFVII

now, although it's a close contest, I'd say FFVII wins. But the reason why it's my favourite isn't because it is my first one, it is because I think it is the best. Pure and Simple.

Pancaek
06-03-2003, 01:15 AM
My first was FF1, and my favorite is FFT. FF6 is the one that gets me the most nostalgic, though, because it was the first one that I actually played myself and spent a lot of time on. When I first saw FF1, I was too young to really know much about it, let alone play it. My mom was the one who was actually into it, and I just kinda watched.

SuperPac
06-03-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Psychotic

now, although it's a close contest, I'd say FFVII wins. But the reason why it's my favourite isn't because it is my first one, it is because I think it is the best. Pure and Simple.

Yeah, I basically agree with this quote. Well, that is, except for the part that says... no, I agree with it all.

TheAbominatrix
06-03-2003, 03:50 AM
My first was FFIV, and my favorite is FFVI, though it's a hard call there. I pretty much loved ever Final Fantasy game, with the exception of the PSX installments. I liked VII, was indifferent on VIII, and hated IX. Loved X though.

SuperPac
06-03-2003, 03:57 AM
I don't like X much. I love IX, though!

Mo-Nercy
06-03-2003, 12:43 PM
FFVII vs. FFVIII

FFVIII...:love:

HOOTERS
06-03-2003, 01:43 PM
My first was FFVII and my favourite is FFVII.

the blitzer
06-03-2003, 06:30 PM
First VIII favoutite X

Rude
06-03-2003, 07:31 PM
My first was FF Mystic Quest. But if you want to stick to the core games then my first was FF1 (which I played after I discovered I liked rpg's). My favorite however is FFIX, which I just completed recently and thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

Enigma
06-03-2003, 08:54 PM
My first is FFIII (didn't finish) and my favorite is FFVII (did finish)

Ethéré
06-04-2003, 04:52 AM
Well I think you have a point. My first Final Fantasy was VIII, and it holds a dear place in my heart, but on second thought so do X, IX, and VII, and VI. Let's stop there. Seriously though, i can't decide my favorite. Fine VIII, you're right.;)

Reine
06-04-2003, 05:02 AM
My first was FF7 and even though I now have every Final Fantasy except for X, X-2 and Tactics, I still like 7 the best. 6 and 9 come close though. 8 sucks.

RAVAGER
06-07-2003, 07:56 PM
First: FFVI Favorite: FFVI

Strider
06-07-2003, 09:06 PM
VI vs. VI? No contest there.

Sefie1999AD
06-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Psychotic

*nods*

Faris_the_guy
06-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Final fantasy I vs. Final fantasy X-2

Final Fantasy X-2 'cause i'm a pervert...

Brian The Pink Shark
06-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Mine would be a draw as FF7 was my first and is my favorite

Prodigy
06-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Final fantasy VII was my first. VIII is my favourite.

RSL
06-08-2003, 03:40 PM
FF1 is my first. I can't pick a favorite. It's a tie between VI and VII.

Blizzard
06-09-2003, 08:07 AM
FFVII vs FFIX

FFIX wins.

petrifyus
06-09-2003, 09:29 AM
my first was VII
and continues to be my favourite

MagicKnight Locke
06-09-2003, 02:10 PM
First:FF7(6th ff in my list now)
Favourite:FF8(hail to the godly FF8!!!!!!!!!!)

Sam1
06-13-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm on a posting streak, so I might as well post to this topic as well.

First: FFII(US)
Favorite: FF3 or FF5, with FF6 and FF7 clost behind.

If you care to know why, check out a post I made to this thread:
http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34567

Liquid Glass
06-14-2003, 04:33 AM
FFVII VS FFIX
uh....FFIX, No FFVII. I love them equally!:love:

Sephiroth_lord940
06-15-2003, 03:57 PM
FFI was my first, but FFVII was and will always continue to be my fav!

JayLeno
06-18-2003, 06:52 AM
First: FFX

Favorite: FFVIII

Blathnaid
06-20-2003, 06:37 PM
My first Final Fantasy was FFVII, and it will continue on to be my favorite FF, and favorite RPG for that matter, of all time.

Face it. The characters were loveable, the story was deep and interesting, the difficulty was good (note I said was good. It's almost too easy now), and the overall gameplay was exquisite. FFIII (or FFVI for you goddamn critics) and FFIX are close seconds for my favorite. FFX is in a close third. I'm also sort of partial to FFV.

zacks_clone
06-20-2003, 08:09 PM
First was Final Fantasy 7(though...i did play the demo to 8 first).And though i own 7,8,9,and 10...7 is still my favorite

The Captain
06-24-2003, 05:59 PM
The first Final Fantasy I played was indeed FF1 and while it holds a certain place in my heart, it just doesn't hold a candle in my opinion to my favorite one, which is FF8.

I think it's generally a split for some people, where a good portion of the folks end up making the first Final Fantasy their favorite because it introduced them into the world of it all. They learned everything while playing the game and it allowed them to become more adapt at playing later or earlier games afterwards.

Then, on the flip side, other people play one Final Fantasy, either enjoy, or don't enjoy it, then decide to try a different one and fall in love with that one instead. Maybe because it's different from the first one they played, or they might just enjoy it more. Or maybe it augments things from the first game they played in a way they enjoy more. It's tough to say, but to each their own I say.

Take care all.

Firehawk
07-27-2003, 11:25 PM
I played FF8 first, but that was borrowing it from a friend and I really bit at it. The first one I really played was FF7, and it is my favorite FF of all time. Nothing can beat it for me. Though FF9 and 10 were good, and FF8 was O.K. Also, FF1 rocks... :Oo: My head hurts...

SirenGriever
07-28-2003, 03:43 AM
My first Final Fantasy was VIII. I was hooked when I first saw it's great graphics, but as the story went along I kinda got bored with it only playing it once and a while. Then I played VII, which is my now my favorite.

Naos
07-28-2003, 05:26 AM
First: FFI
Favorite: FFT/FF3

Sorry, it is too close to make a decision. If i coudl remember which FF it was i played GB...that woudl be favorite.

Cz
07-28-2003, 08:23 PM
My First was IX, and my favourite's probably VI.

Aya Nekoneko
07-28-2003, 08:54 PM
My first Final Fantasy was FFVII and my favorite is a tie between FFVIII and FFIX (although this game I still have yet to finish... I bought it when it first came out and never got around to getting past disc 2--how sad).

FFVIII because I loved all the characters. Zell and Rin-chan were just too fun. ^_^

FFIX because I just love the fantasy backdrop and the wonderful characterizations (and it's so wonderfully emotional too). It really does put the "fantasy" back into Final Fantasy.

robfinalfantasy
07-28-2003, 09:01 PM
My first Final Fantasy was FF1, but my favorite is FF6. FF1 holds a spot among my top favorite 3.

FF6
FF3 <-- in no order
FF1 <-- in no order

§håd0w
07-28-2003, 11:44 PM
first one was one. i dunno if it counts since my father bought it. but it was my first one. The first one that I...Myself bought was 3. but my favorite was, is, and always will be... 7.

GogoTheMimic
07-31-2003, 07:06 AM
Well, my favorite is FFVI and it was also my first FF. It was only the second RPG that I had ever played in my life, my first? Mario RPG of course!

Lexton
08-02-2003, 08:47 AM
The first FF I played was Mystic Quest but that game doesn"t really count. So the first real FF I played was FF8 anf my favourite is FFX.

Rikku_658
08-02-2003, 01:37 PM
The first Final Fantasy I played was FF7, and it's also my favourite one.

§håd0w
08-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by GogoTheMimic
Well, my favorite is FFVI and it was also my first FF. It was only the second RPG that I had ever played in my life, my first? Mario RPG of course!

mario rpg was the greatest game ever. i remember buying it, and not leaving my room for days. i beat in a week i think, but it was still the best

Freya Coral
08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
My first was FF1 (which I still own :D ) and I've beaten FF7, FF8, and (almost) FF9. It's pretty difficult to say which is my favorite out of all those. They were all very addictive and have great stories, and it just wouldn't be fair to single out only one as my favorite.

In short...they all r0x0rz!!! :cool:

Outsider
08-05-2003, 06:46 AM
FF4 (first) vs. FF6 (favourite)

But my first RPG is was Phantasy Star...

Wightraven
08-05-2003, 06:51 PM
FFI was me first, FFVI is me favorite, not to mention my favorite game of all time, too.

Anyway, interesting trend I'm noticing here; For the most part, those who started with FFI like FFVI, those who started with VII like VII or VIII... and above all, those who started old-school love old-school, and those who started new-school love new school... hmmm...

Flying Mullet
08-05-2003, 06:54 PM
I noticed that as well. It's almost like a generation gap. Part of it is probably because Final Fantasy VII is the first one that Square heavily hyped with television ads and such. I only remember seeing a couple of ads in gaming magazines for Final Fantasy VI. Final Fantasy VII is definitely where the series really caught the public's eye and started to become a phenom in the United States.

Outsider
08-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Well, I'm old-schooled (Ugh), and I have another theory...

Those who started with the "old" FFs (1-6) praise the storyline, the characters and the plot in the first place, and those who started with the new FFs (7 - 10) praise the grafx and the looks in the first place. That's the difference.

And don't tell me that FF7 belongs to the "old" ones... It looks a lot more like FF8 than FF6

Sefie1999AD
08-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Outsider: That's not true. I started with FF7, and it became my favorite for story and characters. It didn't have much to do with graphics. While FF7 and FF9 are my favorite FFs, I also love FFs 4 and 6 for the same reason, and FFs 1 and 5 for their gameplay. This is just my opinion, but I don't think you can consider FF1 your favorite just because of storyline and characters, because there's not that much story and no character development. And BTW, FF9 is old-school. It basically returned back to the series' roots and reminded me especially of FF4, which I played a few months before playing FF9. For FF8, I think it's pretty good but not among my favorite FFs. I didn't like FFX that much. So yeah, even though I started with FF7, I'm not a "hate old-school, love new-school" kinda person.

Outsider
08-05-2003, 08:25 PM
FF9 brings back a lot of stuff from FF1, actually (Like the name of some monsters and places, some classes...)

But anyway, you are a exception, man... Most ppl that started with the "new" FFs like the grafx and looks in the first place.