PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion

Dr Unne
06-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Change the name of Eyes on Each Other to "Spam Flaming and Stupidity".

TheAbominatrix
06-03-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm for it!

Do we get frilly toothpicks, too? We can use them to stab eachother!

Dr Unne
06-03-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry. I meant the <a href=http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34284>Spam</a> / <a href=http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34173>Calling each other retards</a>/ <a href=http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34236>Kicking crippled people</a> forum.

crono_logical
06-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Nice, I didn't know this forum was so bad, since it used to be so boring I'd visit FFXI more often than EoEO :p Time to wander in for me, I guess :p

Loony BoB
06-03-2003, 11:32 PM
The Warn Button - Third Announcement Down (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=40).

If you see anything that you find offensive in any way, warn it, for a start. That's all I have to say this very minute, I'm sure I'll post more later. It's just getting late where I am and I'm very tired.

Dr Unne
06-03-2003, 11:34 PM
I make a habit of using Warn, but usually it doesn't generate any response. I'm not sure if I should be having to use it 10 times a day either, which is about how often I'd have to if I warned everything I thought needed a warning.

Yamaneko
06-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Look beyond that crap. Most of those people are newbies. There're are about five billion places worse than here. The internet can (is sometimes) a piss poor place for a community. Bah, we're fine. I don't care.

Dr Unne
06-03-2003, 11:39 PM
There's no reason this particular corner of the internet has to be a poor place for a community too.

crono_logical
06-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
I make a habit of using Warn, but usually it doesn't generate any response. I'm not sure if I should be having to use it 10 times a day either, which is about how often I'd have to if I warned everything I thought needed a warning. I ain't been checking recently myself - exams everyday this week, so that's kinda eating my time up instead :p

Yamaneko
06-04-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
There's no reason this particular corner of the internet has to be a poor place for a community too.
But it's not, that's what I'm saying. I've been to MB's where I've stayed for ten minutes and I was "Screw this". It's stupid of me to argue against you, since you're posting this thread trying to improve this place, which I like to see and I don't see enough of. So yeah, this post was useless.

m4tt
06-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Whenever I see a warn in my inbox, I always check it. I try to look around all of the forums whenever I can, but after spending all day on a computer at work, sitting at my computer at home gets old. :p

Strider
06-04-2003, 01:37 AM
Are you sure that's not just the fault of a few members getting carried away with themselves? I'm sure you of all people, Unne, know that not everyone here would blatantly degrade someone, regardless of whether the person in question deserved it or not. I mean, that's what happened with Aika, right?

Citizen Bleys
06-04-2003, 02:33 AM
I just randomly check warns, because they're usually responded to by the time I get to them.

Anyways, one namechange coming up.

EDIT: I thought it was self-evident, but this is me that we're talking about, so I should come right out and say that I will *not* actually be changing the name of EoEo.

Shlup
06-04-2003, 05:23 AM
<s>Either be an admin or don't please.</s>

EDIT: Thank you for keeping an eye out, Unne. Feel free to use the Warn button as often as you see fit. I respond to those as often as pssible, though right now I'm a bit too busy with work and finals to be as prompt and throurough as you might like. I'll try harder.

eestlinc
06-04-2003, 05:24 AM
is that directed at Bleys or Unne?

Shlup
06-04-2003, 05:30 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. *innocent look*

Linus
06-04-2003, 05:31 AM
It was directed at me. I chose "Don't, please."

eestlinc
06-04-2003, 05:36 AM
good thing aaron hasn't read this.

Big D
06-04-2003, 06:58 AM
My other thread complaining about spam (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33537) degenerated into a flame war which led to Aaron/The Man leaving. I agree completely with Dr Unne; but EoEO isn't the only forum that's degenerated in this way. General Chat in particular is filled with pointless threads with meaningless, often unrelated titles. It's often a waste of time trying to sift through all the *I made a completely f**king stupid thread instead of someone else* topics, and all their spam-fest kin in order to find a thread that means something.

Flaming, as the good Doctor also pointed out, has got worse.

Now, I don't blame the moderators - they do a fine job enforcing a clear set of rules. I love this place, and that's one of the reasons. But people seem to think that they can get away with more than they used to. Some oldies, for instance, know that they can flame people in ways that would get any newbie banned instantly. Even with repeated warnings from the Powers that Be.

The problem's got to do with those who post, not the people in charge, but I personally think a tougher stance on BS could be in order.

Just my opinion, though - I know next to nothing about running and moderating an MB, so I shouldn't really say.

eestlinc
06-04-2003, 07:06 AM
gen chat isn't any "spammier" than it has ever been. Half the fun of gen chat is making silly threads. They aren't pointless. Even if it's a silly thread that gets immediately closed, it's still funny and, in the end, harmless.

Burtsplurt
06-04-2003, 09:53 AM
I enjoy spammy threads sometimes (although not in EoEO), but it does seem like we're kind of inundated with them at the moment. Maybe it's just a case of the grass being greener, but I really don't want to sift through the bad threads in General Chat.

Didn't Sean make a thread about spam in EoEO? Maybe it should have been stickied, because some of the newbies don't seem to have any idea about the purpose of the forum.

Citizen Bleys
06-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Big D
I agree completely with Dr Unne; but EoEO isn't the only forum that's degenerated in this way. General Chat in particular is filled with pointless threads with meaningless, often unrelated titles. It's often a waste of time trying to sift through all the *I made a completely f**king stupid thread instead of someone else* topics, and all their spam-fest kin in order to find a thread that means something.

I agree totally with the hatred for, as you so fantastically put it, "*I made a completely :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:ing stupid thread instead of someone else* topics" (:D LOVE that description :)), but honestly, General Chat is the Spam Forum that people keep asking for, and it always has been.

EoEo, on the other hand, is meant to be a serious forum where people can talk about what's important to them without fear of being crapped all over. Spamming and flaming in there is not acceptable at all.

Well, what do you think, people? Does this deserve an announcement?

Loony BoB
06-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Screw the announcements, they always get taken either too extremely or else some random person won't look at them. Us Staff members just need to get OUR act together, because in all honesty, that's where the problem is.

*continues into Staff*

Linus
06-04-2003, 05:52 PM
I did the **Makes this thread instead of _____.** thing twice, and both times were birthday threads...

Other people liked it and took off with it, sorry.

Leeza
06-04-2003, 06:06 PM
I agree that we're getting way too much spam lately and I've been more or less tolerating it because of the "lightening up" that we were supposed to be doing. I won't be doing that anymore. There are places were some spam is okay, but it's just been getting plain stupid lately, especially in EoEO. I've also been seeing way too many people who are trying to go around our swear filter and I'm not happy about that.

BoB is right. The Moderators are here to make sure that the rules are followed and we have to do our job. I guess that means that I won't be getting the Nicest Member award anymore, but that's okay.

<i>Didn't Sean make a thread about spam in EoEO? Maybe it should have been stickied, because some of the newbies don't seem to have any idea about the purpose of the forum.</i> - Burtsplurt

I agree. I kept meaning to do just that, but never did get around to it.

Mr. Graves
06-04-2003, 06:34 PM
I like this thread. I'm all for cracking down, Believe me. I havent been enjoying these forums as much during the last couple of months. I even left for a week because it got so bad, But I thought it was improving, at least to me. No place is perfect.

Make an announcement or not, I read them. I've never had to use the warn button until a month ago. That should tell you something.

In short, I'm glad you realize what's happening.

edczxcvbnm
06-04-2003, 07:09 PM
I think Eyes on Each Other should be changed to

'Lets bitch and complain about things that aren't going my way'

OOOOOOOH YEAH!

Leeza
06-04-2003, 07:18 PM
No one is twisting your arm to go into that forum if you don't want to. It's actually better for people who don't want to help constructively to stay out of that forum. No posts in response to someone asking for help is better than a post that says <i>Grab her ass</i> or some other such helpful information.

edczxcvbnm
06-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Leeza
No one is twisting your arm to go into that forum if you don't want to. It's actually better for people who don't want to help constructively to stay out of that forum. No posts in response to someone asking for help is better than a post that says <i>Grab her ass</i> or some other such helpful information.

Which is why you rarely see me post in that forum.

Citizen Bleys
06-04-2003, 08:24 PM
I've proposed that the staff start revoking EoEo access to people who abuse the forum, if that's of any comfort.

Spuuky
06-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Neat.

Shlup
06-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Now we're going to get another thread from the 50% of the members who want more spam, and then two months later this thread will pop up again. I swear the members of this board are all 50% one way and 50% the exact opposite. You people should see the staff evaluation forms; there are so many that are exact freaking opposites.

Del Murder
06-05-2003, 12:40 AM
We should start some kind of war. Quick, someone kidnap Skye-Chan and bring her back to Troy.

Big D
06-05-2003, 01:30 AM
How about a new sub-forum entitled "Eternal Spamnation" or something, where people can write anything and everything they want without restriction? Nothing useful or important will get said or discussed, so 'General Chat' and EoEO can go back to their old purposes. After a while, people would lose interest in pointless, obnoxious spam and the spam forum would fade into disuse.

*Is honoured to see the new quote in Citizen Bleys' sig*

Dr Unne
06-05-2003, 01:36 AM
<i>Now we're going to get another thread from the 50% of the members who want more spam, and then two months later this thread will pop up again. I swear the members of this board are all 50% one way and 50% the exact opposite. You people should see the staff evaluation forms; there are so many that are exact freaking opposites.</i> --ShlupQuack

So let 50% of the people have the majority of the forum to spam to death like they do now, and give the other 50% at least one forum like EoEO to be serious in. I don't care if people spam their brains out as long as there's one place where people aren't total jerks. I used to wish that there was one message board out of the 99.9999% of MB's that was a nice place to talk instead of pure garbage, but apparently people can't live without making constant mindless chatter and flaming each other on a regular basis, so if I have to settle for one forum on one message board I will. General Chat has always been a lost cause, I don't even care about it. I don't care about anything but EoEO.

edczxcvbnm
06-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
You people should see the staff evaluation forms; there are so many that are exact freaking opposites.

Really? You will show them to us :love: There are no names after all so no one will be the wiser.

Eternal Spamnation would never die. If you have seen The Man's board you would soon learn how much MORE active that board is compared to the other ones. It is so much fun to just talk about what ever you want and to post in pointless threads.

Also wasn't EoEO suppose to always be General Chat junior except serious. For as long as I can remember the staff has always said 'A topic can go in either EoEO or General Chat. It is up to the poster' Is that changed now?

Leeza
06-05-2003, 02:15 AM
<i>For as long as I can remember the staff has always said 'A topic can go in either EoEO or General Chat. It is up to the poster' Is that changed now?</i> - ed

No, it hasn't changed. It's just that whatever goes into EoEO has to be treated seriously and not get spammed up. Even if you start a thread on <i>What is your favourite ice cream?</i>

edczxcvbnm
06-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Cool :) Although it is kind of hard to keep a topic such as 'What kind of Ice Cream do you like?' not a spam topic but we shall see *Evil*

Big D
06-05-2003, 06:37 AM
I don't care if people spam their brains out as long as there's one place where people aren't total jerks. I used to wish that there was one message board out of the 99.9999% of MB's that was a nice place to talk instead of pure garbage, but apparently people can't live without making constant mindless chatter and flaming each other on a regular basis...
I agree again. EoEO had the appeal of being meaningful and peaceful, a place where important matters could be discussed productively. It'd be a shame if that was undermined.

eestlinc
06-05-2003, 07:15 AM
why don't you just move any non-serious topics in EoEo (like that wedding topic) to gen chat.

Leeza
06-05-2003, 07:19 AM
That wedding topic thread actually started out as serious, but it got turned into non-serious very quickly.

eestlinc
06-05-2003, 07:36 AM
i hope that thread wasn't serious.

Strider
06-05-2003, 08:26 AM
The actual point of that thread was to ask about a possible place on the internet to hold a wedding. I had suggested a private room w/ invites only as an idea, but it degenerated from there, like Leeza said. Regrettably, I was also part of the spam.

eestlinc
06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
that was some quality spam, though.

Mikztsu
06-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I completely understand and agree that EoEo should't be used in spamming...but that wedding thread, man, I just couldn't resist.:)

*had never seen that flaming thread between The Man, Akuma etc before, by the way* =O Oh mine...

Loony BoB
06-05-2003, 12:36 PM
If for some reason you see a dire need for a thread to be moved between General Chat and EoEO, talk to the thread starter, and have them request a Staff member to do this. I guess it can be sorted out that way should someone feel that desperately about it. It shouldn't happen often, though.

Yamaneko
06-05-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't take a 12 year old serious when he says he wants to get married, online!

I'm sorry, also, that I contributed to the spam in EoEo. It won't happen again.