PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Final Fantasy VIII is the worst Final Fantasy ever?

Harlemoonbeams
06-07-2003, 04:47 AM
I do I mean its so dull I loved FF6 But seriously I mean no Final Fantasy is bad.....but this one wasn't at the top of me list!

Fantasia
06-07-2003, 12:17 PM
but I think it's the best one~

Prodigy
06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Funny - I think 6 is the worst and 8 is the best.

Psychotic
06-07-2003, 01:08 PM
" Do you think Final Fantasy VIII is the worst Final Fantasy ever?"

Out of the ten main ones, yes. But that doesn't make it a bad game.

Cyan_Lightning
06-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Not at all, having played from 6-10, FFVIII still ranks as my favourite for many reasons.

Harlemoonbeams
06-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Six the worst no way I mean I loved it Well 8 Its so like weird I aint a bad game tho I loved Selphie

PhoenixAsh
06-07-2003, 08:29 PM
How can VIII be the worst if IX and X haven't been taken out of circulation? That just defies logic.

Rand Al'Tor
06-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Oh for the love of Hyne, not another one...

No, we do not think FFVIII is a bad game. Actually, since we've all gone to the trouble to go to the forum DEDICATED to the game one could assume we, in fact, LIKE the game. At least enough to have an interest in it.

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands I think.

Harlemoonbeams
06-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Oi,
All Final Fantasys are good no GREAT games even this one but......I wwelll the love story to much fer me I know im a girl and all but to much love in this game they could've focused on something else more! All of uhmm kinda had a love story but this one.......The whole Garden thing was confusing and all but thats just me............I still love the game! Its awesome just not at the top of me list!

Imperia
06-08-2003, 04:06 AM
I honestly don't think any of the Final Fantasy games are bad. Each one has its faults.
However (here I go again!), I think Rinoa is the worst FF Heroine, and wussy Edward is the worst FF Hero!:D

Sorceress Fujin
06-08-2003, 04:55 AM
FF8 is the best, followed by FF7.

~Best magic system-Unlike FF7's Materia system, no hit points are taken if a character is a dedicated magic user. It was a little confusing when I first played it, but once I "got" it, it was great. Junctioning rocks!! :rock:

~Most memorable music

~The love story. Yeah yeah, I'm a girl, but I'm just a sucker for love stories. :D

Ethéré
06-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Its so cliche to say oh yeah VIIs the best, VIIIs the worst. Why? I find wonderful things in most every final fantasy I've played. They each hold a special place in my heart. *Sob* That's my baby...growin up so fast. *Ahem* Anyway, I seem to be going against the majority here, but I found VIII to be more challenging than VII, or maybe its just me. VIIIs FMVs were just gorgeously and artistly done, and the story got me wrapped up. As for the Draw and Junction system, people need to stop being so against change. So no. Its not the worst. *Rambles on, off into the distance*:eek:

Rand Al'Tor
06-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Hmmm yeah sorry, might have overreacted a bit. Problem is that you've got so many people coming here for NO other reason telling how much they hated Final Fantasy and it gets... a bit on my nerves sometimes.

But on the subject, I'm with the FFVIII favourite people. The characters just appeal to me.

Francas
06-08-2003, 12:08 PM
i can't understand, why do u, girls, say u love the love story and add the fact, that u'r girl...

i liked ff7 love story, i haven't finished ff8 yet, but i'm romantic, so... ff7 and ff8 are the best games ever created... i think i'd like and 9 and 10, but they aren't made on pc so far....:/
yours Auridas :)

Mo-Nercy
06-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your input about hating FF8, now never talk to me again. Just kidding.

All FFs for me are pretty closely ranked. I got nothing against any of them except FF7 *runs away*

Red_XIII
06-08-2003, 05:45 PM
I think it's an okay game. It ranks second to last for me however. (With 10 being the last) I just haven't liked the FF seris as much after they stoped creating the stories around the crystals. (Like 1,3,4, and 5) (And I guess you could count 9) But 8 is a really good non-crystal game like FF6. (Which I really like).

Harlemoonbeams
06-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Me a girl HATES THE LOVE STORIES one of the reasons this aint me favorite one me list goes like 6,7,4,9,5,10,8 Its way to focused on a love story but none the less I LIKE THE GAME

remi07
06-09-2003, 03:29 AM
I don't think FF8 is the worst ff game. In fact its my second favorite. I don't like it for its Love story, it was all the plot twist and hint of mystery that captivated me.

MagicKnight Locke
06-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Imperia
However (here I go again!), I think Rinoa is the worst FF Heroine, and wussy Edward is the worst FF Hero!:D
For some amazing stroke of coincidence i named Squall Edward in ff8

NEO
06-09-2003, 06:05 PM
heres a couple of reasons that i think that youy dont like ff8:
1.you like to use magic,and you know if you do your character will get weaker.cuz in all the previous ffs you could use magic,by wasting mp without your character becoming weaker

2.to dumb to understand the junction system.

3.the realistic characters,youre just jelous of that fact that 8 has better grafics.

4.hate love stories.

the reason ff8 is i my opinion the best game(yes game,not rpg)in the whole world is because of the junction sys.and the awesome charateres designs,i mean who wants to see a guy with a head size a over sized pineapple(zidane),or a guy with a freaking horn stiknig from his head(cloud).i mean when you campare the fact that squall looks like a real person to a cartoony looking guy,its just screwed up.

here my fav rpg order:

FF8(no duh)
ff9
ffx
fft
lod
lol
ff4
ff7
ff6
cc
ct
vs

thats about it.

ff8 kicks @$$ in the grafics gameplay and all the other stuff that you can think about.but 9 wins in the side quests.one thing that i have to admit.

Psychotic
06-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by NEO
heres a couple of reasons that i think that youy dont like ff8:

That's actually 4

Originally posted by NEO
1.you like to use magic,and you know if you do your character will get weaker.cuz in all the previous ffs you could use magic,by wasting mp without your character becoming weaker

Yes, that is one reason I don't like it.

Originally posted by NEO
2.to dumb to understand the junction system.

Me? Dumb? I'm not the one that used to instead of too, for one example. And no, I am not done. There are ten main Final Fantasy games. I have completed nine of them, and I am nearly done on FF3j, I just have problems speaking Japanese. So obviously I can understand any battle system.

Originally posted by NEO
3.the realistic characters,youre just jelous of that fact that 8 has better grafics. Oh yes, I am so "jelous" or your almighty "grafics" You really think graphics are what make a game rather than gameplay? Sure, good graphics are nice, but I'd rather take gameplay thanks. I mean it's like buying pop music because of it's image, you don't do that, do you?

Originally posted by NEO
4.hate love stories.

I have no like or dislike of love stories, it just depends how well they are done.

Originally posted by NEO
the reason ff8 is i my opinion the best game(yes game,not rpg)in the whole world is because of the junction sys.and the awesome charateres designs,i mean who wants to see a guy with a head size a over sized pineapple(zidane),or a guy with a freaking horn stiknig from his head(cloud).i mean when you campare the fact that squall looks like a real person to a cartoony looking guy,its just screwed up.

Ok, please explain to me WHY you love the Junction system so much, without a Final Fantasy VII comparison.

And like I say, you think it's the best game in the world because Squall looks real!? What the hell!? there are a great number of games where people look real. Just at random, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has characters that look real. Realer than FFVIII's IMO, so why not like that more, huh?

Originally posted by NEO
ff8 kicks @$$ in the grafics gameplay and all the other stuff that you can think about.but 9 wins in the side quests.one thing that i have to admit.

Why is it's gameplay "kick @$$" my capitalised friend? It's nothing special for an FF game, far from it. All the other stuff I can think about? OK, what about best use of someone called Cloud? see?

Spatvark
06-09-2003, 07:49 PM
I find there are two ways to enjoy FF8:

1) Have patience. LOTS of patience.Drawing is a pain in the arse, but it is vital. If you've got the patience though, you can get on with the drawing and use it to massively boost your stats.

2) Be a total retard. This means you don't worry about things like patience since you can just go on and on and on and on... you'll also like the characters a lot more and won't spot any of the gaping plot holes.

NEO
06-09-2003, 08:19 PM
That's actually 4

WOW you can count.

Yes, that is one reason I don't like it.

See i told you.

Me? Dumb? I'm not the one that used to instead of too, for one example. And no, I am not done. There are ten main Final Fantasy games. I have completed nine of them, and I am nearly done on FF3j, I just have problems speaking Japanese. So obviously I can understand any battle system.

Well you are not smart enouf to find the english rom for ff3,so you play it in japanese no offence but thats retarded.

Oh yes, I am so "jelous" or your almighty "grafics" You really think graphics are what make a game rather than gameplay? Sure, good graphics are nice, but I'd rather take gameplay thanks. I mean it's like buying pop music because of it's image, you don't do that, do you?

i never said that the graphics make up a game,i just said that i rather have realistic people in a game,than some cartoony headed looking guy with an over-sized looking butter knife,and a horn sticking from his head.And NO i dont buy music i download it from places such as kazaa,only the "dumb" ones buy music,just to have a pretty picture of the artist,or the logo of a band
and they rather pay like $10 for a stupid cd to support the artist.

I have no like or dislike of love stories, it just depends how well they are done.

Love stories are not done they are written,but in case when you dont like ff8 because of the story you definatly never had a relationship with somebody,i mean i could realy see me as sqauall and Joanna(*DROOLS :love: when thinks about joanna,so what if she has freckels and comes from argentina*) as Rinoa.

Ok, please explain to me WHY you love the Junction system so much, without a Final Fantasy VII comparison.And like I say, you think it's the best game in the world because Squall looks real!? What the hell!? there are a great number of games where people look real. Just at random, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has characters that look real. Realer than FFVIII's IMO, so why not like that more, huh?

WHY?because the junction system is simply perfect,you can make you character virtualy invincible,why dont you want me to compare it to ff7,afraid ill proove you wrong,but fine thats why lets take for example ff9 where you can make zidane take away 9999 damage with thievery but for that you have to waste a least 10 hours,and i rather just junction str+80% and some tornados on the str. to get it up to 255.yes GTA VC has more real looking sprites but you cant compare an rpg and an action/adventure/shooter/simulator togather,lets instead compare 8 and x,ffx has better graphics and character desings but the characters are just not as original as in 8,yuna looks like rinoa,wakka like zell,kimahri looks alot like gravier,rikku like quistis and tidus like squall,thats just what i see,in them.so all the ff9 characters are way cooler looking and original,nothin beats squalls pimp jacket and a gunblade,NO there is not a cooler weapon than a gunblade.

Why is it's gameplay "kick @$$" my capitalised friend? It's nothing special for an FF game, far from it. All the other stuff I can think about? OK, what about best use of someone called Cloud? see?

Well my lower-cased friend,unfortunatly we all have our points of view and i think that this game does kick @$$,thats just IMO you might have you opinion,tell it too somebody who actuelly cares.

MagicKnight Locke
06-09-2003, 09:10 PM
ack psychotic do you never get tired of bashing ff8.Ofcourse i should have known:whereever there is ff8 hate hate threads,there is psychotic.You're lucky i am in a good mood and am not in the mood to flame right now.Of course ur posts always make me angry.Though this time i agree with u on 2 things:whoa: .First,the kick @$$ was very funny :P (and pretty stupid too,sry NEO)
Secondly,graphics ARE NOT everything for the game(i like ff6 it is my second favourite game overall and ff3 is my 5th favourite game overall)

PhoenixAsh
06-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Actually I agreed almost entirely with Psychotic there, despite FFVIII being my second favourate FF to VII.
I only disagree slightly, because I'm fairly certain from other thread you never really got the FFVIII battle system. The menu system also kicked ass because of how much you can do. I don't see any other FF as being able to just pick up and play for a couple of hours with no real goal, just fun.

Well you are not smart enouf to find the english rom for ff3,so you play it in japanese no offence but thats retarded.

NEO be careful (not modwhoring just giving advice incase you get on the wrong side of an actual mod). Also it's often a good idea to check the english in your insults before calling someone stupid.
Also VII has a much better battle system than VIII, though it's the only FF IMO that does.

Love stories are not done they are written,but in case when you dont like ff8 because of the story you definatly never had a relationship with somebody,i mean i could realy see me as sqauall and Joanna(*DROOLS when thinks about joanna,so what if she has freckels and comes from argentina*) as Rinoa.

If a love story is told through any other medium than text, or is a sub-plot, I see no reason why done should be the wrong term.
You mean when you met Joanna you acted like a tit around her until she fell into a coma when you suddenly realised that you cared for her more than everything that you'd ever known.
Anyway FFVIII wasn't entirely a love story, I saw it more as Squall's developement, this was done very unrealisticly, though it somehow worked IMO.

NEO
06-10-2003, 02:09 AM
A love story is always written then it might be transformed into a movie or a musicle play but how in the world would they learn the words,i they were not writen.and when i said that ff8 kicks ass its in my opinion,for me and for me only.FF8 is my fav game thats my point of view and if some retarded @$$ hole who is too dumb to understand that its my point of view he could go and **** himself up the ***,i am NOT going to let anyone insult ff8,if so then i will insult back,EVEN if it a mod.

WATCH OUT cuz you might be the next one to get dissed by,for insulting ff8.

Kami
06-10-2003, 02:14 AM
i like ff8.

Washuu
06-10-2003, 04:30 AM
If FF8 was the worst final fantasy ever, then there would not be so many posts about people teling how much they like it. Logic!

But I would say its one of the best. I play it oncew, and then I can't play it easy because it depresses me such much. :D Just the way I like it.

m4tt
06-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by NEO
FF8 is my fav game thats my point of view and if some retarded @$$ hole who is too dumb to understand that its my point of view he could go and **** himself up the ***,i am NOT going to let anyone insult ff8,if so then i will insult back,EVEN if it a mod.

*shaking in his boots*

Guess what, I'm a mod and I don't like Final Fantasy VIII. And guess what, you have to do what the mods say. So stop swearing, stop insulting other people, and stop being rude. The better person does not insult back, the warn button is there for a reason. Use it! Get it? Got it? Good!

This is a warning to ALL OF YOU, by the way. So stop having swearing wars on these forums.

On topic: I did not like FFVIII because it had a horrible story line, (OH hey, I just suddenly remembered that we all knew each other when we were kids! Gosh darn! It must of been the GF's fault, that's why you guys didn't remember because I don't use GF's all that often. But I didn't feel like telling you back when we first joined up together, I felt like waiting for a bit so the story could get even more confusing!), horrible characters (besides Zell, he was cool), and the battle system was awful.

The graphics weren't even that great, Final Fantasy 6 had better graphics, imo.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-10-2003, 05:37 AM
I'm going to agree with the majority and say that FF8 was a pretty bad FInal Fantasy. The junctioning system was just dumb, drawing was stupid, the characters were all bland and predictable, and story was just not that great. And hey, that's my opinion. That's what I think. I'm not forcing my opinion on you. So you have no right to insult me. Thanks.

crono_logical
06-10-2003, 06:00 AM
When I first played FF8, I thought the graphics and the model animations in battle were rather good forit's time - better than FF9s was when I eventually played that one :p

Junctionings not bad - it's certainly different to other games, and it's nice how different spells affect different stats/defences by different amounts too. Story certainly was a bit off though, seemed a bit too modernish in places for my liking too, and cheesy as well, especially Eyes on Me :p The last boss had the worst music out of all the last bosses in FF8, even more than 10, which is really poor :D

FF8 might not be my least favourite, but it does have it's crap points, and is rather low down on the favourites list out of the FFs for me :p

Rostum
06-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Hey it was a pretty cool game, it's just a matter of opinion as many people say. Although I do not think any FF game is the worst.

I just think that people making these threads are wasting their time, as am I by posting in it. No one really cares for the other persons view on a game, as long as they like it nothing can be changed from such weak arguments.

BG-57
06-10-2003, 03:15 PM
I found FFVIII one of my favorite games in the series.

I liked the character designs, monster and GF designs, architecture, Triple Triad and junctioning.

I disliked some of the subquests and the SeeD ranking system.

MagicKnight Locke
06-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by NEO
A love story is always written then it might be transformed into a movie or a musicle play but how in the world would they learn the words,i they were not writen.and when i said that ff8 kicks ass its in my opinion,for me and for me only.FF8 is my fav game thats my point of view and if some retarded @$$ hole who is too dumb to understand that its my point of view he could go and **** himself up the ***,i am NOT going to let anyone insult ff8,if so then i will insult back,EVEN if it a mod.

You know what did you just do?You gave other just more argueing material.
Also THIS IS NOT the way to defend ff8.Writing @$$
and stuff like that is pretty childish.
Note:FF8 is my favourite game so please dont flame me

DK
06-10-2003, 04:49 PM
FFVIII is bad. Same as everyone else, Drawing sucks, Junctioning sucks, All the characters apart from Zell suck, Story is dumb, Gameplay is boring. Graphics really aren't that special, either.

NEO
06-10-2003, 05:34 PM
So stop swearing

Did i ever swear,i dont think so,and When some retards say that juntion system sucks or drawing sucks add a lil "for me" or "IMO".

And guess what, you have to do what the mods say.

BLAH BLAH BLAH and wait another big BLAH

i dont have to do what mods tell me i just have to follow the board rules and the word @$$=at money money if you cant use a bit of logic.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Dude. Take a pill.

Mikztsu
06-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Hehe, you are awesome NEO.xD I've had some good laughs out of your posts.

I think FF 8 is almost as good as FF7. I loved it. *throws his few cents in*

Nait
06-10-2003, 06:26 PM
I like FFVIII. I am currently playing it.

m4tt
06-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by NEO
Did i ever swear,i dont think so,and When some retards say that juntion system sucks or drawing sucks add a lil "for me" or "IMO".

BLAH BLAH BLAH and wait another big BLAH

i dont have to do what mods tell me i just have to follow the board rules and the word @$$=at money money if you cant use a bit of logic.

First of all, yes you DO have to do what the mods tell you. It is the mods and admins that make the rules here, so if you don't like it you can just leave. Don't think I'm stupid, I know that when you use "@$$" you mean to say "ass" and calling someone an ass is insulting to them. As well as calling them retards. Insulting a mod directly is not a very smart thing to do, and not listening to a warning is also not very smart. I told you to stop insulting people, and yet you just went and did it again. You are treading on VERY thin ice mister man.

Edit: You know what, forget it. You're gone.

PhoenixAsh
06-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Aww that was great. I had a feeling Neo would be going and when I saw the Banned sign I was wondering how it happened. You kept me right up until the very end of the last post to find out too. Ah drama, gotta love it.

Anyway on topic I do have to defend the junctioning system, and the menu system in general. As far as rewarding skill only FFVII competes IMO, as does depth. Drawing does NOT take hours of boredom, and as far as levelling and strengthening through drawing go, VIII is probably the fastest I've played.
I gotta agree on the amnesia thing, that was just ridiculous.

Evelia
06-11-2003, 02:21 AM
I liked FFVIII. It's not my favorite, but I enjoyed playing it. The Junction system took me awhile to comprehend, but it's easy once you get going. So yeah, my favorite is probably FFIV and FFVII, but I've enjoyed every Square game I've played. :)

Peegee
06-11-2003, 03:53 AM
FF9 am not goal. I think FF9 is the worst, but I haven't really given FFX/X2 and FFXI and FFXII a chance.

wait, you mean FFXI isn't out? Then FF9 definitely sucks the most.

Tgunz262
06-11-2003, 04:48 PM
FF8 is not one of my favorites for a few reasons.

First; I did not like stocking spells. Countless hours spent on "DRAW" instead of leveling up like I would do in other games. "DRAW"ing gets you spells and levels (however levels don't play as large a part in FF8) but leveling in other games gets you levels (most importantly), extra skills, or better magic's, lots more than just "DRAW"ing more magic. Even when I do spend the time and draw I only get a few per draw. And when I want to use magic against an enemy, I have to keep in mind that I only have 100 uses of this magic (even though that actually is quite a bit) and if I have the magic junctioned to an attack or defense then I will slowly get weaker by using magic.

The only way I see to counter this is always junction magic to attack that is effective against a certain boss right before you fight him. What a nuisance. Instead of equipping some better armor or putting on a protective charm, I've got to shuffle around my junctions and possibly my magic again.

I do have to agree with the CONCEPT of junctoning though, or perhaps just being able to boost stats with magic. It is in practice though, quite a pain to use to its fullest extent.

Second; I did not like the "flashback" parts with Laguna. What a pain. I didn't care and didn't feel that I needed to play those parts to get a feel for the general story about Time Compression to gather all the sorceresses' power to one point. I just wanted to get on with the game and try and stock some more magic.

Third: The story took too many turns. At least in FF7 you know early on that ultimately Sephiroth/Shinra are the bad guys that you have to eventually take out. And in FF9 you are always basically chasing Kuja who is (nearly) the final boss.

In FF8 you first start off chasing Galbadia, then try to kill Edea, and find out she was just possessed .... bla bla. My point is you don't find out until late in the game what is really going on and who you need to kill.

Fourth; Smaller issues like the somewhat lame, long, and annoying side quests. Also; the card game, in fact any card game (FF8 and FF9), what a stupid waste. I think I might do them if I got something insanely great. I'd rather do Chocobo treasure hunting; at least you get some good stuff from that.

remi07
06-12-2003, 02:05 AM
Yes, I agree. Having to draw that magic took FOREVER! I liked the whole materia system in FF7 better. I've never bothered with the Chocobo sidequest, but I did like the Shumi Villiage one. I also like the Laguna flashbacks except for when you have to go in Pandora.

PhoenixAsh
06-12-2003, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry if you spent hours drawing, waiting for GF animations, or didn't get anything good from cards, you simply couldn't play the game.

FFVIII rewarded people for knowing the game and being skillful, it probably requires the least repetitive play for a skilled player of all the FFs I've played.

I'm not a 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure I could comfortably get through VIII very quickly without doing any of the above things listed AT ALL.

Though even so, again if you know what your doing drawing doesn't take long at all, and if used well is just one of the ways to play through FFVIII very well.

MagicKnight Locke
06-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17
I'm sorry if you spent hours drawing, waiting for GF animations, or didn't get anything good from cards, you simply couldn't play the game.
Yup hes right i drawed my final spells on disc 4(before that i only drawed a very few spells).Anyway,wanna know what makes getting magic very VERY easy?Those magic ref skills.5 fish fins for max water?Lol i got that one first.The only magic i really drawed were fire,ice,lightning,sleep,slilence,life and some higher magics when i could get them 9 a blow.

FFVIII rewarded people for knowing the game and being skillful, it probably requires the least repetitive play for a skilled player of all the FFs I've played.[/quote
Though u cant say it isnt repetitive.I think all of the jobbed ffs (ff1,ff3,ff5) are less repetitive.

[quote]
I'm not a 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure I could comfortably get through VIII very quickly without doing any of the above things listed AT ALL.[quote]
Yep yer right again.I cast gfs very few times.I once actuallynever casted a gf til those propagators at ragnarok(i think it was shiva).After that i used Diablos and doomtrain a couple of times.That was it.I practically did max 10 casts of gf in my entire game and i managed very well.
About magic like i said dont need to draw that at all.
About the only spells i found needed was life and water and maybe silence on disc 1.

Phoenix is so right.I posted this to support him btw ;)

Harlemoonbeams
06-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Oi ya people need to chill out I LIKE THE GAME but Junctining is not me favorite I preferred Espers and FF7s Materia but I still LIKED THE GAME but it was not me favorite it was me least favorite!

MagicKnight Locke
06-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Harlemoonbeams
Oi ya people need to chill out I LIKE THE GAME but Junctining is not me favorite I preferred Espers and FF7s Materia but I still LIKED THE GAME but it was not me favorite it was me least favorite!
Hey can you make any charts.It is really hsard to believe ur story without any charts

Kuja124
06-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Here's the problem I have with FF eight:

The story it's to much like a 90210 story. I really was not feeling anything for Squall or Rinoa.

Also the Junction system. Well it sound nice. It really was nto that good. I understood it but I did not like that ever oen could do the same thing. It took away the fun of getting a new character. (Which is way I really like FF nine)

There was also no bad guy that was always in your face. FF7 and 9 always had that bad guy who was in your face. Heck even FF4, 10, 5 and to a small point 6 had a bad guy that was always in your face.

I rink the FF games like this:

1) FF IX
2) FF VII
3) FF IV
4) FF VI
5) FF I and FF II both tie for me
6) FF V
7) FF X
8) FF VIII

Well some people really do like FF 8 I don't have a problem with that. We all like differetn FF games. I really I would never get ready of any of them. But I go more on replay and for me FF8 has the lowest replay.

Harlemoonbeams
06-13-2003, 12:26 AM
quote:
Hey can you make any charts.It is really hsard to believe ur story without any charts

Oi
Don't diss me I don't really need charts....
Besides this is me thread bow down to me.......
Worship me!

I can take you! Who cares if I'm a girl!

Flying Mullet
06-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Yes

PhoenixAsh
06-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Kuja124 quote:

There was also no bad guy that was always in your face. FF7 and 9 always had that bad guy who was in your face.

Okay most of your post was fairly reasonable (although I almost completely disagree), except where you mention IX's boss. This is a joke right? Not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played IX, but if you have you should get my point.

LL, I appreciate your support, I'm also curious as to how the quote with me and someone else managed to happen.

razor248725
06-14-2003, 08:51 AM
ffVIII the worst ff ever??? no. as a couple of people said before, there is no such thing as the worst ff. all of them are good, but not as good as one another. ffVIII is one of my favourite ff's and it was the first ff i played and beat. i think i probably liked ffVIII because of the change, that so many people hated. a ff that i don't like too much is ffIX. i've played up to disk 3 and can't be bothered continuing. its a great game but it just doesn't appeal to me that much, i'll finish it one day though...
ffVII was as good as ffVIII, but ffVII lack of graphics (does that makes sence??) makes it less fun. somthing that made ffVIII is the sidequests. i had fun with those, dunno why. and the GF's were really cool as well. i dunno how good ffX is yet, because i haven't play too much of it yet.

Max
06-14-2003, 07:02 PM
it was ok but my list goes like this 7,6,kh,10,9,8,4,tactics,and anthology.

GhandiOwnsYou
06-20-2003, 03:18 AM
Ok.... here enteres the most random and opinionated post ever.

FF VIII hater should be SHOT.

FF IX lovers shoudl be SHOT. This is the worst game in the entire series. it's patheitc. a horrible, horrible, horrible waste of time that should serves as squalls urinal.

Squall is an incredible character. He actually had an INDEPTH EMOTIONAL PATTERN. Rather than Clouds Teamwork gusto, or Zidanes incredibly annoying don't worry be happy motto. tidus' works his way in tehre a bit, but squalls is the king. Stoicism is the shit too. go squall.

All characters were incredible, with teh exceptions os Cid and Selfie, they jsut annoyed me.....

VIII's graphics were cool, but not so awe inspiring that it should be the soel reason for the game. Keep in mind that with that gritty realism came, er, gritty graphics in the actual world.

Yes, the Amnesia thing was corny. It would ahve made everything so much simpler to jsut say they left when they we're like three, and were too young to remember anyone. taht would've been much much simpler and more beliveable.

and anyone, anyone at all, taht chooses to make a post about how bad a game sucks or whatnot, is a moron in the highest caliber. and once again SHOULD BE SHOT.
or maybe sliced by an excessively cool stoic's large blade?

Imperia
06-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Geesh! Calm down, buddy! I perfectly understand your frustration, but you shouldn't be so damn harsh. Just take a deep breath, and count to ten. Like what you like, but please, I like FFIX. Don't bash it so much. *dodges bullet*

Doc Sark
06-20-2003, 03:45 PM
FFVIII? I really enjoyed it, played it through three or four times, loved the characters. I thought they used humour well in this game. Fujin and Raijin, Biggs and Wedge were funny characters. I found Zell and Seifer amusing at the beginning. I think you only start to hate a game when you start taking it apart too much, the amnesia plot was a bit thin on the ground, but we should accept it because its Final Fantasy. When Buffy comes back from the dead repeatedly, we accept it, cause its someone elses work. I dunno, its ok to have opinions, but if anyone hated FFVIII that much, why didn't they just trade it in for a new game rather than plough through a game they weren't enjoying. If i don't enjoy a game, I take it back. Simple as. As for the worst final fantasy though, have you people forgotten Mystic Quest?

supergodlord
06-22-2003, 12:00 AM
I'am going to have to stop everone of ye, final fantasy VIII is not the worst final fantasy. For me Final fantasy IX is the worst final fantasy.Final fantasy VIII has dull straight story, but it still a good story. So stop @#?;~*! bashing of Final fantasy VIII

Erdrick Holmes
06-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Ok lemmie tell you why I think FF8 is pure awesome

1. The graphics are well done, people actually look like people, not little chibi guys like in 7

2. The story was just poetry in motion

3. The GF system was unique, thats what I liked about it the most (I never really relied on drawing stuff, I mosty refined stuff into magic)

4. The soundtrack is just plain sweet

5. Seifer has to be one of the most unique characters in FF history, if you actually think about it he's more of a victim than a villain.

6. Selphie..... nothing more needs to be said.

Big Ogre Umaro
06-22-2003, 01:53 AM
Poetry in motion. Was that what it was?

PhoenixAsh
06-22-2003, 01:59 AM
ROFLMAO BOU

Oh yeah, I really think you should say something more about Selphie, or was number 6 just giving her instructions?

Stupid Moomba 88
06-26-2003, 09:24 PM
What The Hell!?

How can FFVIII be the worst? For it has the a great story that doesn't revolve a psycho (Cloud) or a CLone (Zidane). It's the first time we had a FF where a character had nothing wrong with him, but he had to put up with all the troubles around him.

I think the reason why some don't like it is because it is such a revolution. Square scrapped some of the things that had stayed in the series since the begining (Money from Enemies) and brought in some great new ones (More Interactive Limits) which I must point out was carried on in FFX.

The Junction system is the most tweakable system on the planet. Although FFVII Materia was good, it had limitations but on FFVIII, it has no limitations. You could muck around with their magic and their GFs as much as u wanted.

He's my order:
FFVIII
FFVII
FFV
FFII
FFX
FFIX
FFVI
FFI
FFIII
FFIV

And although it is a long time since this all started (Since 1999) I just had to but my 2penneth in. i was compelled to. So I hope i've ended it. FFVIII is a great game. One day, people will be ready for it and will except it as the forfarther of all future RPGs

Sephiiroth
07-08-2003, 06:23 AM
if you's dont like ff8 how come you're registered on this forum?? juss leave it alone and go back to playin ur favorate ff's.....

Ultima Seraph
07-09-2003, 06:52 AM
I personally liked it quite a bit.

The best? No... The worst? Definitely not.

Ki Ki
07-24-2003, 08:18 PM
I LOVED it!!
It was the first final fantasy game I played!
And yes...some of the graphics were pretty.....um....ungraphical?
But still I love the story and game!
But not Rinoa....blag....not rinoa!

And I take it that Harlemoonbeams is playing Daggers part...hehehe..
I like the "Oi" thingy...it's cute...:D

robfinalfantasy
07-25-2003, 03:55 AM
When I first saw the commercial for FF8 I hated it. Then a few years later I bought the game and ended up loving it. I don't think any of the games are bad. In my opinion the worst game would have to have a 99% and the best having a 100%.

Firehawk
07-27-2003, 11:15 PM
FF8 was good, but so boring I couldn't stand it. FF7 was better, though way more confusing. I really didn't like FF8, so I quit about halfway into disc 3. I know, that's near the end, but I was bored. Still waiting to get 7 back so I can play it again!:mad:

Zild
07-28-2003, 04:41 PM
[I've only played 7,8,9 and 10, so I can only speak for them...]

*Hopes he can add something without getting flamed, accidentally insulting somebody or otherwise inciting a riot...*

I have to admit, I've been reading these threads eagerly the past few days, but I've stuck to the FF7, 10 and general forums... I took a quick peak into 10-2, but don't want to read ANY spoilers at all for it, no matter how small or early they appear... Likewise 9, as I just haven't had time to play it yet. (I have time now but am sadly away from my PS2...)

But the reason I didn't enter this particular forum was through fear... I feared going home and saying "Mummy, all the kids are picking on me for liking FF8..." Hell, it'd be safer to like My Little Pony...

Truth is, I really enjoyed 8. As soon as I saw the opening fight playing in the shop, I just KNEW it had to be FF8. Instinct. I was expecting something amazing after 7, and nothing had come to looking this close...

Playing the rest of the game, I think I was right. Okay, after the (IMO) best opening sequence of any FF game - prolly any game that I've ever seen - things did dull down a bit. But when you went on the first mission, things got good again. Hell, just the music from the chase scene makes me want to quit uni, my job and my gf, so I have time to go play it again. (Whether that music or the opening of 7 means more to me, I'm not sure... But 7 meant a lot...)

True, having to spend ages sitting in battle drawing was a chore, but then the fact that using spells made you weaker was a nice twist, I think.

Love story? Rinoa looks like the sweetest girl I've ever met, so if I ever play it again I'll prolly cry, but apart from that I don't mind the love story at all. I think it was done better than 7's too...

Graphics? Yeah, kewl. Gameplay? Likewise. Characters? Again, from the very start there was something about Squall and Seifer. Zell was good, although a little odd at times. Irvine? Okay, so I forgot about him until reading the thread about his gun just now, but you can't win them all... Enough of the characters.

I really liked 8. I thik I could easily say 7,8,9 and 10 are all my favourite games. Ironically, they are the ones I don't play much because I only want to play them when I have enough time to see them through properly. Which is better? Dunno. Worst? Dunno. TBH, is it even possible to compare them?

The only thing that did bug me about 8 was that I got bored sometimes. But all FF games do that to me at times.

One thought - nobody's mentioned the whole sleep-world, with the people in the past when the team went to sleep... I can't say I liked or disliked that, but I am curious what other people felt...

So overall? All I can say for sure is it was one of the best 4 games I have played... so far...

COOL
07-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Oh but i think FF8 is the best and i love it best. i know different people may have different mind so¡_¡_

Khemetian_Netcheret
07-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Fantasia
but I think it's the best one~

I nearly agree with with this. I really like Final Fantasy VIII and I don't see it as the worst ever. In MY opinion, the worst was Final Fantasy IX.

Demandred
07-30-2003, 08:12 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone could really call FFVIII the worst Final Fantasy ever. Obviously the game is going to have detractors and I respect that, but I have to ask, has anyone who hates FFVIII and considers it the worst in the series ever played FFIIj? Seriously, if you don't consider that the worst game in the series, let alone the worst console RPG of all time I have to wonder what's going through your head.

In all fairness though FFVIII is extremely flawed. FFX is what I really consider to be the "real" FFVIII. I'm not saying that FFX is FFVIII redone because it obviously isn't, but the character interaction in FFX is what I believe they were striving for in FFVIII. Character interaction is really what FFVIII was built around, it just doesn't work as well as it could. Since everyone except Squall and Rinoa fall off the face of the earth after a certain point in the game, if you don't like them you obviously aren't going to like the game.

The junction system is another aspect of the game that is ridiculously easy to abuse. Kind of funny how really the game penalizes you for leveling up, assuming of course you junction properly.

Overall though I enjoyed FFVIII and found its storytelling methods okay, but really the lack of character interaction bugged me. I'd give the game an 8/10 if I had to rate it.

PhoenixAsh
07-30-2003, 08:29 PM
FFX being used as an example of good character interaction. Well that's.... interesting.

Anubos
08-14-2003, 05:49 PM
FFVIII has always and more than likely will always be my favoirte ff

vicious
08-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Harlemoonbeams
I do I mean its so dull I loved FF6 But seriously I mean no Final Fantasy is bad.....but this one wasn't at the top of me list!
Screw off best final fantasy ever!!!Your words enrage me.*loads gunblade* ill get you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UltimaSepheroth
08-18-2003, 04:19 AM
Final Fantasy VIII was very good, i thought,
but it was not nearly as good as 6,7, and 9

Sephex
08-18-2003, 10:07 AM
This topic has been done to death. I think it is the worst one yes, but I don't think the game is that bad...blah blah blah...

Phil
08-19-2003, 03:38 PM
I hated junctioning. THe GF's were better than in any other game, though, but mainly because there werre so many of them. I prefer IX's midevil theme. That style was what captivated me into the game.

UltimaSepheroth
08-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Yay!
Let's flame FF8 again!
(like it's never been done before)

MagicKnight Locke
08-19-2003, 10:42 PM
i am warning you,you flame ff8 and i aint holding myself back

Edit:okay i kinda lied before i aint gonna go mad just yet i gotta go to sleep first.

Outsider
08-19-2003, 10:49 PM
FF8 is the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played (The only one I never played is FF10). It doesn't deserve its name.

Eternal_Warrior
08-22-2003, 01:51 AM
I think what people fail to see in Final Fantasy games and RPG's alike is that certain people may like it whereas others won't. Period. Look at a book, or a movie. There are action, sci-fi, mystery and all kinds of those things. RPG'S each have a unique story to them, unique chars, unique battle systems. FF7 for one had a complicated storyline yet great. FF8 had a nice storyline until they hit with the amnesia. Bottom line is, it's a game made for fun. If you're having fun, then play the game. If not, stop playing it and find another RPG that suits your needs. No need to flame a game which obviously is unique in many ways, just like all the Final Fantasies for that matter.

My two cents.

CKYLPFM
07-23-2006, 12:48 PM
OK, I didn't come on here to post my list for my favourite FF games. I didn't come on here to ramble on about the similarities and differences between FF7 + FF8. I believe everyone has an opinion of what they like and don't like, but I don't think that a FF7 lover should turn on his computer and think "Hey, maybe I should join a forum specifically made for Final Fantasy 8 and tell everyone why I hate it, Yeh, that's a good idea". I don't mind other people saying that, but just keep it in the FF7 forum.

The one thing I can't stand though, is that people hate Squall because they don't understand him or he isn't easy to understand. Squall isn't easy to understand because he doesn't want to be understood. The reason he is so ignorant and shady in the beginning of the story is because he believes that if you get too attached to someone then you will start to rely on someone. He has done that in the past and it has only led him to grief.

So, no. I am not going to end this post with a small remark about which FF is the best, just keep it to yourself or your own forum.

PerpetualBurn
07-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I only signed up to the forums two or three days back, and I have to say I'm absolutely staggered by this thread.

I just don't see how anyone can think it's a bad game compared to the rest. I would say that VII, VIII, and VI are my favourites, probably in that order, but that's really neither here nor there. What staggers me is that compared to the first few FFs, and compared to IX or X, the character development is amazing.

Zidane and Tidus were interesting characters, but to me we never seemed to get inside their heads. I never empathised with their situation. Sure, there were plenty of times I held my hands up in resignation and thought "Goddammit Squall, grow a backbone." but at least I kind of understood the depression he'd sunk into. I didn't get that from IX or X.

The junction system was flexible, and interesting. The fight system was good. The subgames were good. The card game was revolutionary! So much to do on two solid sidequests. I shudder to think how many times I reset the machine because I'd lost my favourite card.

It had flaws, yes. It irritated the hell out of me that I couldn't use a spell without my stats dropping, but then it irritated me in FFVII that if you missed certain materia, you lived without it from then on (Ifrit etc.).

I can appreciate people not enjoying the plot as much, or maybe not the gameplay as much, because those things will appeal to different people BUT it stuns me that people don't consider it to be high up the list. Everything from VI and onwards beats the first five games in my opinion, just for the plot and flexibility of the games.

RSL
07-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Plese don't revive threads that are three years old.