PDA

View Full Version : original japanese names

RAVAGER
06-07-2003, 07:31 PM
why when traslating they change also the names?
in japanese Terra is called Tina, Sabin -> Mash, Cyan -> Cayenne, Ghestral -> Ghastra and Narshe -> Nalsh ...

BG-57
06-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Most of the problem lies with Japanese phonetics. For most of the actual Japanese words they render in kanji (characters), which stand for concepts not pronounciation. But most of the place and character names in FFVI are borrowed words, which they would render in kana, a phonetical alphabet. Going by pronunciation alone, it's hard for a translator to guess what the original author meant to say.

And there is ambiguity in how a particular sound translates, most famously 'L' and 'R'. The FFIV summoner could be read out loud as 'Rydia' or 'Lydia' and most Japansese would not pick up on the distinction. It's interesting that the English translator went with 'Rydia' since 'Lydia' is an actual woman's name.

I've heard at least one instance where the translator deliberately altered a translation to make it less controversial: 'Lethe' river into 'Lete'.

DocFrance
06-07-2003, 10:33 PM
I know that Cayenne was reduced to Cyan so that the name would fit in the small amount of character space given for names.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-08-2003, 03:51 AM
That's no excuse, since "Cayene" would have fit.

MJN SEIFER
06-08-2003, 08:41 PM
There are many topics on name changes it was one for FFOrigions one for FF5 (Did that get deleted) wellnow I'll explain FF6 whith what their names are in both versions why I think they changed and of cause MY opinons!

Allrighty the Uk on the left Jap on the right like this Uk/Jap ok!

Terra/Tina

Well I have no garrenteed answer why this happend but a certain Mr Woosly probably thought "Tina" was to normal "Terra" Makes me think of "Terra-Firm" which means earth I wonder if theres a part in the story were Terra has somthing to do with earth? Hmm? Well I prefer "Terra" any way but "Tina" is ok i guess...

Locke/Lock

again an unsolved mystery! (I'm really helping aren't I) But I read some where there was a philospher called "Locke" I don't know if thats true and if it was Woosly probably found it nessarsarry...Hmm? actualy Woosly has made bad Translations Before *Remembers "Final Heaven" = "Bums Rush"* so yeah this maybe one of them! "Lock" is my favorite though Cause "Locke" is too confusing!

Sabin/Mash

I have No idea what the name "Sabin" is supposed to mean but "Mash" Might mean "Mashing People with you're fist" which IS what Sabin does! but really "Mash" Sux as a character name! I mean say it a few times! "Mash!Mash!Mash!Mash!Mash!" UHH! Woosly did us a rare favor! VOTE FOR SABIN!

Cyan/Cayane

"Cyan" (Which is actually pronounced "Sigh-ann") is actually a language colour for blue (I do not no which one) :P but "Cayane" Means "Pepper" aparently! but Cyan or Blue is the colour of his Amour it's more fitting and better sounding!

"Strago/Stragos (Not Stragus!!)

"Stragos" had tbe droped for the 6 letter rule but it wasn't a problem in japan because they use Simbals so even 6 letters is long for them I don't really care which name as i've never cared for Strago/Stragos much!

Kefka/Cefca

So Minor but I like "Kefka" Better "Cefca" would be to confusing as "C" when near an "I" or "E" is often "S" in english so people would say "Sefca" so "Kefka" is the best name!

omnitarian
06-09-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by MJN SEIFER
actualy Woosly has made bad Translations Before *Remembers "Final Heaven" = "Bums Rush"* so yeah this maybe one of them!

Bum Rush wasn't a mistranslation, it was a censoring. "Heaven" was too religious for Nintendo, it seemed.

"Cyan" (Which is actually pronounced "Sigh-ann") is actually a language colour for blue (I do not no which one) :P

Yeah, it's called english. :exdee:

BG-57
06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
I think MJN Seifer was refering to the origin of the word Cyan. It's from the Greek word 'kuanos', meaning dark blue.

MJN SEIFER
06-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Bum Rush wasn't a mistranslation, it was a censoring. "Heaven" was too religious for Nintendo, it seemed.

Oh Yeah! FF5 had that problem with "Censorship" with "Damn" = "Darn" and "Crap" = "Datt"
think MJN Seifer was refering to the origin of the word Cyan. It's from the Greek word 'kuanos', meaning dark blue.over/ver

Yeah!

Big D
06-10-2003, 02:10 AM
'Sabin' is a rare name, but a real one nonetheless. It's feminine form, 'Sabine', is still popular in Europe though. I'm glad it was changed. How many royals would name their twin baby boys Edgar and Mash? I can just imagine it...

Queen Figaro: "Oh, what a beautiful child! What should we call him?"

King Figaro: "Why not call him 'Mash'? After all, he might want to be a martial artist when he grows up, then he'll be able to 'mash' anyone he doesn't like!"

By that same logic, they could've called Edgar 'Pointy Object', for many reasons. ;)

Strider
06-10-2003, 07:15 PM
:whoa:

Oh, yeah, Kishi, would "Cayene" really be the same as "Cayenne"?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-10-2003, 07:31 PM
It would be a lot closer than "Cyan," brother sir.
Originally posted by Big D
How many royals would name their twin baby boys Edgar and Mash? I can just imagine it... Applying logic like that to the names of Final Fantasy characters won't get you too far. How many people name their little girls Ultimecia?

MJN SEIFER
06-10-2003, 09:42 PM
As all ways Kishi has a point (Haha Suck up!) FF5's Lenna was a perfect example! i mean "Lenna" means "Queen" so she is actually "Queen Queen" and she's the SECOND child!

Big D
06-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
It would be a lot closer than "Cyan," brother sir.Applying logic like that to the names of Final Fantasy characters won't get you too far. How many people name their little girls Ultimecia? Good point, but crown princes would have less reason to want to change their names. Something like Ultimecia could be viewed as an alias, an attempt to sound 'bad' and malevolently omnipotent.

Changing one's name to 'Mash' is somewhat harder to justify... and even if it was an alias, Edgar would just prefer to call him by his real name, I'd imagine.

BG-57
06-11-2003, 02:56 AM
Yeah, but Ultimecia is hardly omnipotent if she can be defeated. She should have been called Penultimecia. ;)

Big D
06-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by BG-57
Yeah, but Ultimecia is hardly omnipotent if she can be defeated. She should have been called Penultimecia. ;) Wasn't she called 'Artemicia' in the Japanese version? Nice to see the mythological reference to Artemis return to FF... but this is fiendishly off-topic.

I prefer 'Cyan' over 'Cayenne'. Naming someone after a colour just seems less silly than naming them after a pepper. I mean, take The Spirits Within for example - imagine if Gray had been named 'Jalapeno' or 'Cracked'.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Ultimecia is just as legitimate as Artemicia, if not moreso, since "ultima" is transliterated from Japanese as "arutema."

PhoenixAsh
06-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if given Ultimecia does seem likely to be an alias that maybe an original character could actually change their name sometime after the end. Hey maybe there's some highly reasonable, but oddly banned theory out there that might explain this bizarre occurance. I wonder....

How can people focus on Mash as a name for what he does, look at LOCKE, he's a thief!

BG-57
06-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Locke's not a thief. He's a treasure hunter! ;)

Seriously, what I don't get is why he dresses like a thief when he's walking on the street. I mean it's one thing when you're sneaking around a house or dungeons, but walking in broad daylight dressed like that tends to give people the wrong idea about him.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Shadow would be the worst of the lot of them, then. Hanging around town dressed in assassin gear and all, so when somebody finally is killed by a deadly shroud in the night, no one will be left to wonder who did it.