PDA

View Full Version : Tee-dus or Tie-dus?

Rinna Lee
06-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Okay, I'm kinda confused here. Is Tidus' name pronounced Tee-dus or Tie-dus? If it was Tee-dus, :eek:

IamTidus
06-08-2003, 07:31 PM
It is Tee-dus This has been posted a lot before but mot recently If you play Kingdom Hearts it's pronouced Tee-dus.

Rye
06-08-2003, 07:34 PM
I say Tidus, but I think it's really pronounced Tee-dus ^.^

Rinna Lee
06-08-2003, 07:36 PM
:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Noooooo!!!! For me Tee-dus is a weird name.......

SuperPac
06-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Back before the game was released even in Japan, I saw a small preview of the game in English where *gasp!* Yuna called out to Tidus, in full talking! She called him Tee-dus. Yep, that's what I heard it is.

PhoenixAsh
06-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Tidus' name is just another stupid element of the game. Not only do they make it so parts where they should obviously say his name feel false, they also actually let people know that it's meant to be pronounced stupidly.
I mean Jesus so much water and noone thought 'TIDE'us would make more sense. Ignoring that it just sounds much much cooler.

Man I like FFX but they really went out of their way so many times to make me hate it. I swear it's a social experiment, I'm really convincing myself now.

Rostum
06-09-2003, 01:11 PM
It's pronounced "Tee-dus" as heard on Kingdom Hearts. I still pronounce it "Tie-dus" though, it just sounds cooler for me.

MJN SEIFER
06-09-2003, 09:21 PM
As I've said in a MILION forums it's TEE-DAH!

SHEE!

Prodigy
06-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Doesn't matter how it's pronounced - just keep it how you like it in your head. I pronounce it Ti-dus and always will do.

IamTidus
06-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Pretty much They never say it in the game so it how you please. I do say Tee-Dus

Bahamut2000X
06-10-2003, 02:12 PM
say Tiedus cause that's how the english language would pronounce it, and seeing how it was made into a entglish word I pronounce it appropiatly.

Tidus Clone
06-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Jeez any one who prononces it tee-dus are just wrong:greenie:

Donut advertise plzkthx ~ Spatvark

DCI Superfan
06-13-2003, 04:12 PM
The bible book "Titus" isn't pronounced teetus, so why should Tidus be any different? I know how it's pronounced in KH, but couldn't that just be Wakka's accent butchering it?

DCI Forever!!

muchacho
06-13-2003, 10:59 PM
i say tie-dus. tee-dus sounds too wierd for me.

IamTidus
06-14-2003, 03:15 AM
It is offically Tee-dus they stated it in magazines. and In the FFTSW soundtrack they say a young adventurer named Tee-Dus. But they never say his name so. this whole disscustion is actually pointless even though I enjoy the bickering on how it pronouced.

Mo-Nercy
06-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Tee-dus. Soo stupid man.
If you're willing to for ugly names why not make the D silent.
"Ti-us" which honestly still sounds better than Tee-dus.

ThE dArK oNe
06-14-2003, 10:59 AM
tee dus... i like tidus, but teedus is the corect way of pronouniation. Remember yoofie? i still say yuffie.

o well

final boss
06-14-2003, 02:20 PM
It IS Teedus. On the FFTSW dvd, it has a preview of FFX. The guy said Tee-dus. Ti-dus sounds lame.

Nait
06-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Doesn't matter.

What was the name in japanese, anyone?

I say it the english way because everything else was also said like that. "riku" instead of "rikku" and "waka" instead of "wakka". Yevön instead o' yevon.

Shuin
06-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Tidus in Japanese are "Tie-da"

Yevon = "Ebon"

Yu Yevon = "Ebon-Jyu"

§håd0w
07-15-2003, 04:31 PM
why does it matter how its pronounced? its never spoken in the game. this debate is going no where

Yunaknight
07-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Its Gaydus

§håd0w
07-28-2003, 10:18 PM
why must u always post that tidus is gay. it might just offend some people. and thats only ur opinion, i didnt like him either, but i dont go around calling him faggot, flamer, and gay, etc... that maybe ur opinion but just keep it to yourself. and besides u know what they say, opinions are like assholes... (u cant finish the rest if u please)

Yunaknight
07-28-2003, 10:56 PM
What do you mean why must i post it!
Its my job

§håd0w
07-28-2003, 11:02 PM
its also ur job as a member of this site, to respect the rights of others, and not flagarantly harass others directly or indirectly. but... whatever. i cant tell you what and what not to do. so, all im saying is dont go overboard and get urself banned.

Big D
07-29-2003, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Yunaknight, I've given you several in-thread warnings already.

If you don't improve the content of your posts, you might well get banned.

To everyone else: Please use the 'warn' button to report offensive posts. It's better to speak out than to suffer in silence.

Zild
07-29-2003, 07:36 AM
I call him TIDE-us, even if looking at other stuff it should be Tee-dus (TI in japanese is pronounced TEE, plus various other appearances where his name is spoken...)

However, I'm beginning to go with the rest of the FF10 cast and call him "You", "Hey you", or "That player"...

:D

§håd0w
07-29-2003, 01:11 PM
same here. i call him if Tid-us even though it is tee-dus. its juat that i have a friend who has the exact same name, even spelled the same, but he calls himself Tidus

Empathy
07-30-2003, 11:45 AM
It's Tee-dus

I say Tie-dus

And they don't say his name in FFX because his name is a variable, it can be changed by the player. It'd be kind of stupid for Yuna to yell "TEEEEEE-DUSSSSSSSSSS!" When you re-named him to Puff The Magic Dragon.

Rinna Lee
07-31-2003, 05:54 AM
((hahaha))...pretty long conversation just over Tee-dus/Tie-dus/Tida/"Hey You"....etc. name. :D

Xander
08-08-2003, 05:11 PM
I just thought I'd add, as I don't think anyone else did, that there is an interview with the voice actor of Tidus on a bonus DVD that comes with the European release of the game. And when speaking he also says "Tee-dus". Along with Wakka in Kingdom Hearts, I guess this must be how they intended Tidus to be pronounced.

However I think Tie-dus is better also because of the whole water/tide thing.
It's the same as the whole chocobo/chokeabo arguement..... Anyway people pronounce things different so maybe Tidus is just pronounced differently by different people!

Shayo
08-15-2003, 08:05 PM
hey do u think yuna will actually say his name in ffX-2?

ps. theres nothin wrong with bein gay so stop callin ppl it

.:Lady Summoner:.
08-31-2003, 03:02 AM
How odd, they never said his name through the whole game? @_@

Well, I pronounce it Tie-dus. The other way is just too werid.

Rinna Lee
08-31-2003, 03:20 AM
How odd, they never said his name through the whole game? @_@

Ya, why give him a name when they let other people name him in the begining if they wanted to? :confused:

cactuar_12
09-02-2003, 11:02 PM
They should have made the game go that if you chose his name as Tidus, they actually say his name in the game... I always found it wierd that no one in the game say's Tidus if you do choose it....

Xander
09-03-2003, 07:31 PM
*I* thought they should have gone even further than that and made the characters pronounce whichever name you chose. You know like one of those desktop merlin things that speak what you type.

Ok it would probably be weird and difficult for them to do but it would be cool :D

§håd0w
09-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by cactuar_12
They should have made the game go that if you chose his name as Tidus, they actually say his name in the game... I always found it wierd that no one in the game say's Tidus if you do choose it....

Do you know how much extra work that would be? Oh man, a lot... There would have to be 2 entirely different scripts, and the game would probably take a second disc too it would be so big.

FifthElement
09-16-2003, 05:37 PM
They say tee-dus (the creators)

SeanFThomas
10-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Dude, that's like to-may-to and to-mah-to. It's preference. Me? I say Tie-dus. That makes more sense anyway because swich the d to a t and it's Titus, as in Titus Andronicus, which is pronounced Tie-dus. Also, Zidane in FF9? I don't pronounce it Zi-DANE. I pronounce it the Japanese way. ZEE-dun-ay. Call me crazy, but that's just how I work.

Ariel
10-22-2003, 06:43 AM
I say it as Tie-dus, my sister says it as the same, and so does one of my friends. (Prolly the only one offline who actually plays any FFs. :P) My mother says it Tee-dus, though. Teedus sounds odd somehow, even if it is the right way of pronouncing it. xP

SephirothsAngel
10-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Xander
*I* thought they should have gone even further than that and made the characters pronounce whichever name you chose. You know like one of those desktop merlin things that speak what you type.

I think that's a really good idea.
Anyway, I say "Tie-dus". My sister follows the Kingdom Hearts people and says "Tee-dus". My sister's japanese friend says it's pronounced "Tee-duh". And everyone else in my family stays out of it. I think that if you want to call him one of the variations, go for it. They never ever said his name in the game.
Also (I know it's off topic) I couldn't figure out how to pronounce the Yan in FFIX. I called it a "Yan", my sister called it a "Yawn" and my parents told us to shut up.

§håd0w
10-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SeanFThomas
Dude, that's like to-may-to and to-mah-to. It's preference. Me? I say Tie-dus. That makes more sense anyway because swich the d to a t and it's Titus, as in Titus Andronicus, which is pronounced Tie-dus. Also, Zidane in FF9? I don't pronounce it Zi-DANE. I pronounce it the Japanese way. ZEE-dun-ay. Call me crazy, but that's just how I work.

I have seen the light... Preach it :mog:

Cloudane
10-24-2003, 10:00 PM
I call him TIDE-us, but it's actually TEE-dus as in tedious.

Pop in the "making of FFX" DVD that comes with the game, you get to see the guy who plays his voice. He refers to him as Tee-dus.

You also get to see who played Yuna... fair to say she doesn't have the same looks ;)

It always seemed lame that nobody ever said his name, instead only saying "hey, newbie!", "you", "our newest guardian" etc. Especially in her "As summoner, I'll soon be dead and here's my personal goodbye to all of you"-type sphere recording. She's like "Kimare: you're so strong blah-de-blah. Rikku: Good friend etc. Lulu: Blah-de-blah. Auron: Blah blah. Wakka: etc etc. And finally... our latest guardian:...." - arrrgh! Learn his name already!

SephirothsAngel
10-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Cloudane
Pop in the "making of FFX" DVD that comes with the game

I didn't get a "Making Of..." disc. And I got the game right when it came out. Am I missing something?

Cloudane
10-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Seems it was a bonus DVD in the European release only - sorry!

Shame, it's a cool DVD really. Nothing ground-breaking, but it's nice to see (interviews from) the people behind Tidus and Yuna, and some neat artwork.

Shame we didn't see DiMaggio aka. Wakka/Kimahri/Bender of Futurama.

Sorry if I repeated a couple of things in previous post, I didn't see the link to the second page of this thread. (Seems to be missing from the bottom of the thread, or I'm blind as usual)

vivi_rocks
10-25-2003, 04:03 AM
Cpme on guys its Tie-dus

Big D
10-25-2003, 09:24 AM
It would've been good if they'd just given him a name in the script, rather than letting the player choose one. After all, since no-one ever says his name out loud, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I prefer the sound of "tide-us", but if the head honchoes say "teed-us", then that's just how it is, I guess.

SephirothsAngel
10-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Cloudane
Seems it was a bonus DVD in the European release only

Another thing we'll never get in America. Shoot! I wanted to see this DVD. :cry:

§håd0w
10-25-2003, 07:45 PM
I'll place $20 on being able to find it on Kazaa.

vivi_rocks
10-25-2003, 09:45 PM
yeah really, i saw something on the news about the police busting down people who have kazaa i mean its stupid cuz every teenager in the world has it

§håd0w
10-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Speaking of which... I got kicked off Kazaa today for using a hack to increase my download speed. Now I have to change the email address and user name (they make it so though)

Xander
10-26-2003, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't have been too bothered if you just couldn't rename Tidus and they kept his name as Tidus. It would have been better because then they could have said it and it would have made a lot of scenes seem a whole lot more natural. Such as Yuna's farewell sphere as somebody else mentioned.

I felt that by saying "newest guardian" or whatever else they called him, it reminded you that you were just a player, and didn't seem so much like Tidus was ...Tidus. It just really didn't seem right. ><
Renaming some aeons would have been good enough for me, or even not renaming anything.

I called it a "Yan", my sister called it a "Yawn" and my parents told us to shut up.

That made me laugh ^^

§håd0w
10-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Yea, he was called "New Guy/Guardian/etc..." so many times. Started to piss me off near the end.

ECCENTRICHOCOBO
10-31-2003, 03:09 AM
i asked my friend who's in Japanese, he said it's with the "tee" sound. i've always said Tee-dus anyhow. i like how they dance around it in the game xD hehe...cause they had to do it so many times. and again, as others have pointed out, Tee-dus was how it was said in Kingdom Hearts

Flare_Star
11-01-2003, 11:57 AM
i always thought it funny that this guy comes with a bunch of people through a massive journey to destroy this ultimate death dude and they never ask his name. or tidus never says his name.
Come on guys, see the funny part of it!

i pronounce it tie-dus, which sounds a whole lot cooler than
tee-dus which sounds like the name of a new dishwasher.

p.s at the start of the game, going up the ramp to the stadium, talk to one of the girls and one of them will say something like "i really hope you'll win, Tidus!(or puff the magic dragon etc..)

but its in text....not voice.

Cloudane
11-06-2003, 01:00 AM
Speaking of dishwashers, Lulu was in a Hotpoint diswasher TV ad here in the UK (unsure about elsewhere)...

Seriously!

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw it :whoa:

Nanaki
11-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Tee-dus? That sounds.. erm... strange. I say Tie-dus... :rolleyes2

Dr.M
04-10-2005, 09:54 AM
i say tie-dus, but really they should have left his name coz in x-2 rikku calls him "you know how". it gets very annoing

Slade
04-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Well unlike everyone who has posted yet i call him by his proper name: Tee-dus. Whats more i prefer Tee-dus to tie-dus. Tie-dus just sounds too distant to his personality

Kawaii Ryûkishi
04-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Don't bring up dead threads.