PDA

View Full Version : star wars rip off (spoils mabye)

muchacho
06-08-2003, 09:41 PM
in episode 1 yoda says to annikan
"fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

in the end off ff9 necron says to zidane
"fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

now is this a coincidence or is sqaure getting lazy on thinking of new stuff so that they steal from george lukeus? let me remind you have episode 1 came out in 1999 and FF9 came out in 2000.

Faris_the_guy
06-08-2003, 09:52 PM
It's probably a coincedence...butwhaddayagonnado?

m4tt
06-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Square has always borrowed stuff from Star Wars, Biggs and Wedge are in FFVI, VII, and VIII. Plus there is a scene in FFVI where Locke will say somthing similar to what Luke said to Leah inside the DeathStar in Episode IV.

muchacho
06-08-2003, 10:45 PM
i forgot about biggs and wedge

Flying Mullet
06-09-2003, 03:23 PM
I'm too lazy to go back and watch the movies again, what other "coincidences" are there?

m4tt
06-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Well another FFVI thing, the Returners were kinda like the Rebels, and they were up against the Empire.

This has kinda become a general FF kinda thing, so I'ma boot it there.

Mo-Nercy
06-10-2003, 12:29 PM
"Contestants, May Yevon be with you."

All Square had to do was make Mika green.

Also, in FFX, Lulu says

"You see they envy the living, in time their envy turns to anger, even hate."

Jalbrean
06-12-2003, 04:08 AM
It doesn't surprise me very much. When FFX was just coming out they had a big area in the Official Playstation Magazine that gave some interests of the people working on the game.

For the question. "Favorite Movie" Pretty much all of them had the Star Wars movies listed.

Kuja124
06-13-2003, 12:56 AM
I have nocited that. Heck FF2 reminds me of Star Wars.

MJN SEIFER
06-25-2003, 07:43 PM
It's an external refrence

the blitzer
06-25-2003, 07:59 PM
As I recall in FF6. In Locke's sencerio, if you resuce Celes in the soldier uniform she says "your a little to short fo a soldier". Leah said that to Luke when he resuced her in Episode 4 A New Hope. But of course she said Strom tropper instead of soldier.

Psychotic
06-25-2003, 08:01 PM
At least FF has real swords, instead of flashy buzzy ones. But in recent games, the swords have been coming more and more ridiculous.

So FF loves Star Wars... who cares!? it's no rip off, it's just a way of saying how much they love SW.

Big D
06-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, the fact that in FFIX Necron's only substantial dialogue was lifted directly from Episode 1, kind of serves to reinforce many people's opinion that this character was a poorly planned, last-minute addition to the game which served no purpose but to fill space.

External references are one thing, but 'borrowing' script has little charm.

FFIX also has a couple of Star Trek references which people have noticed - Black Waltz #2's assertion that "resistance is futile", and a random guy on the streets of Lindblum who tells Zidane, "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!" when quizzed about the Three Potions.

At least FF has real swords, instead of flashy buzzy ones. But in recent games, the swords have been coming more and more ridiculous.
Indeed. The best weapon in both FFVII and FFVIII is a giant, blue-tinged crystal blade. Let's hope they don't "progress" to swords of pure energy in future...
http://geocities.com/neo_slipstream/edited/darkjedi.jpg

~*Crystal*~
06-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Yep, I noticed that too. Plus in FF8 you see Squall, the main character, wearing two belts forming an "X", the exact same way Han Solo was wearing them.

ZeZipster
06-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Star Wars isn't original either, they copied most of there stuff off of some asian religion.

TheAbominatrix
07-06-2003, 12:29 AM
The ways of the Jedi is copied from a religon, not Star Wars as a whole. Lightsabre combat employs the basic techniques of kendo, which is Japanese fencing. And lightsabres are very much like shinai's, which are kendo swords. Shape wise and all, shinai are made out of wood, usually bamboo. I dont know about the rest. Seems original to me. Original or not, they still rule.

Wolhay
07-06-2003, 02:15 PM
I think that they are tributes rather than rip offs.

The name "Piet" that can be found in Final fantasy VIII is probably borrowed from one of the admirals/officers in Star Wars.

Rearrange the name "Nanaki" from Final Fantasy VII and you'll get "Anakin", it's possible that it's just a coincidence but I think that it would make sense because of the love of borrowing from Star Wars that the Final Fantasy makers have and Nanaki's growth to maturity is similar to that of Luke's but then again all the characters that join your group grow to be more mature during the game. I find this somehow disturbing nevertheless but I might even rename the character to Anakin the next time I play the game so that the scene in Cosmo Canyon makes more sense.

muchacho
07-07-2003, 11:39 PM
the panet in front of the death star is ebon.... or yevon i couldnt hear it that well, but it sound smiler.

JeffTheGreat1138
07-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, as a Star Wars fan, here are all the ones that I've noticed:

In FF8: The character Nida. His name sounds similar to Captain Needa from The Empire Strikes Back

In FF4: The character Golbeze. He is very similar to Darth Vader, being a not-so-evil villian in dark armor who's related closely to the hero, is very powerful, and rises up against his master in the end.

In FF6, 7, 8: The characters Wedge and Biggs. They have the same names as two of the rebel pilots. Wedge was in all 3 movies, Biggs was shot down in the first.

In FF6: If Locke rescues Celes while wearing the soldier uniform, she will say "Aren't you a little sort for a soldier?" Princess Leia says something similar (replacing "soldier" with "stormtrooper") when Luke rescues her.

In FF9: The final boss, Necron, says "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Yoda says the exact same thing in The Phantom Menace.

In FF6, the evil and old Emperor Gestahl is thrown off the Floating Continent by his second-in-command, Kefka. In Star Wars, the evil and old Emperor Palpatine is thrown down a long shaft by his second-in-command, Darth Vader.

In FF8: The character Piett. He has the same name as Admiral Piett, who has the distinction of being the only Imperial officer to be in more then one movie, being in TESB and ROTJ.

In FF7: The character Nanaki. His name is an anagram of "Anakin," the young Jedi who became Darth Vader and was also the name of Han and Leia's youngest child in the Star Wars novels.

Big D
07-14-2003, 02:08 AM
Well, as an EoFF fan, here's something I noticed:

Virtually all of your points have already been mentioned, it'd be a little better if you read through the thread before replying. Avoids unnecessary repetition, y'know.:)

JeffTheGreat1138
07-14-2003, 03:07 AM
I realize that, but I felt it best to put all of them into one place for easy access. And I'm a psycopath, so it's excusable.

Christmas
05-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Well, as a Star Wars fan, here are all the ones that I've noticed:

In FF8: The character Nida. His name sounds similar to Captain Needa from The Empire Strikes Back

In FF4: The character Golbeze. He is very similar to Darth Vader, being a not-so-evil villian in dark armor who's related closely to the hero, is very powerful, and rises up against his master in the end.

In FF6, 7, 8: The characters Wedge and Biggs. They have the same names as two of the rebel pilots. Wedge was in all 3 movies, Biggs was shot down in the first.

In FF6: If Locke rescues Celes while wearing the soldier uniform, she will say "Aren't you a little sort for a soldier?" Princess Leia says something similar (replacing "soldier" with "stormtrooper") when Luke rescues her.

In FF9: The final boss, Necron, says "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Yoda says the exact same thing in The Phantom Menace.

In FF6, the evil and old Emperor Gestahl is thrown off the Floating Continent by his second-in-command, Kefka. In Star Wars, the evil and old Emperor Palpatine is thrown down a long shaft by his second-in-command, Darth Vader.

In FF8: The character Piett. He has the same name as Admiral Piett, who has the distinction of being the only Imperial officer to be in more then one movie, being in TESB and ROTJ.

In FF7: The character Nanaki. His name is an anagram of "Anakin," the young Jedi who became Darth Vader and was also the name of Han and Leia's youngest child in the Star Wars novels.

Give this man a beer! :bigsmile:

The cheapest one though. I saving the expensive ones for my FF X Star Wars Birthday Party. :bigsmile: