PDA

View Full Version : What were they thinking?

PhoenixAsh
06-08-2003, 11:31 PM
I've thought about this for a while now, and I think it's time I made a topic about it. I'm pretty sure FFX was actually designed for a more sinister purpose than simple entertainment. Overall the game was fairly good, but so many elements just cannot possibly be designed for the purpose of good.

WARNING, this may take a while, and I do repeat myself from other threads.

The characters, lets look at them:

Tidus, the main character, you'd expect him to be cool, have a decent backstory, some kind of training or experience. No, he's a celebrity, a whining, teenage celebrity. Who hasn't looked at them and thought wow they're cool, not the sort of people that need a good slapping and brought back to reality? How were we supposed to relate to him?

Auron, admittedly severely cool, but in life and death situations where quick thinking and level-headedness is important, you'd think he might actually tell everyone what the hell is going on instead of letting them wander blind into things. I mean seriously Zanarkand ruins might have been worth sitting down and working out a plan before destroying possibly Spira's only hope, but no, Auron decided that thinking should be done mid-fight.

Rikku. It's not her pointless over acting and arm-waving that's most pointless here, it's the sheer arrogance of apparently her entire race. Summoners CHOOSE to sacrifice themselves to save thousands of lives, but NOOO apparently what deep down they really want is to be kidnapped and have all those lives put in immediate danger.

Lulu, possibly the coolest character in the party, and certainly the most sensible, so why the hell did they decide to remove her entirely from the plot halfway through?

Kimhari, a big strong warrior, who says very little and is merely recognisable for his fighting and protective skills. So why make him the least useful character in battle in the game? Why?

Wakka, although the way he showed how Yevon can turn a nice guy into a racist, was it really a good idea to have the only otherwise sensibly done character a stereotype AND a racist?

Yuna. Ooh boy. The main love interest, and supposedly respected and thought the strongest person worldwide. Why then would you make her a complete moron? Who in their right mind would think that even though they need guardians 24/7, that keeping secret info that could lead to the end of the world, then walking solo into the hands of the enemy was a good idea? Not only this, but apparently basic sentences were a problem as she only seems to understand "I will fight on", and variations on the phrase?

The game design:

New PS2 power at their fingertips, the designers set out to create... the most restrictive FF yet!
No world map, why? This could be the best part of a lot of FFs, and where a huge amount of time was spent previously. It's ok though, they still managed to fit in ONE WHOLE usable vehicle, a walking chocobo.
Well at least they spent time making the rest good to make up right? Nope, paths are now about a foot wide in places, and each has maybe one small detour.
So the game is just walk from A to B with no real choice of where to go. Well maybe A and B are fun. Nope, just meaningless encounters with increasingly annoying characters.
The guy who tells you information about Spira (Maechen?), they actually KNEW he was annoying so they let you skip him. Why didn't they just not make him annoying?
The laughing scene, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Seymour, obviously the bad guy on sight. Annoying on every meeting. Yet they still make him turn up very, very often.

But none of this compares to the true evil of FFX. Mini-games.

Let's look at the evidence, were they really intended to be fun?

Blitzball, argueably the most fun of the bunch, however was this fluke? It was set underwater intentionally, but for some reason it was 2D. You could recruit new players, but due to the setup it was near impossible to improve them because their levels were too low to Techcopy. The games last well over ten minutes, yet you need to complete around fifty to get any decent rewards.

Undecided, let's move on. Chocobos. Now I actually had some fun playing this. Even after being given the ridiculous time required I still thought it would be okay. So what did they do? Throw in birds completely hidden that won't appear until the very last few metres of the race. On that close a timer, they surely didn't expect a random element to be entertaining?

Macalania woods. Even after being told what to do, and doing it, I still haven't got the sigil. How the hell was anyone supposed to get some of this stuff without a guide?

The Cloisters. Hmmm, dull wandering about moving spheres with very little thinking involved. This could almost be just slightly annoying. But no. If you want to get good stuff, you have to do the SAME cloisters several times. Why, why, why?????

Now the lightning bolts. Now it's getting stupid. Do I have to even go into this? Endurance is rarely going to be fun, but endurance that you have to restart for the slightest mistake? That's assuming you knew every detail you had to watch out for to begin with.

The final mini game. This is the biggy. I know you might be thinking, it wasn't that bad. But think about it. They put it right before a long cut scene and the final boss. They knew you'd have to do it several times. So what did they choose to base it on? Bad camera angles. BAD FRICKIN CAMERA ANGLES! Who in their right mind would even consider leaving them in a game, let alone actually basing a game on them.

Do we really think these were designed to entertain? Am I some crazy conspiracy theorist? Are Square secretly running the world and we are just pawns in their evil scheme?
Yuna is to become a lead character. What do you think?

muchacho
06-08-2003, 11:44 PM
yes it is a giant conspirisy. and frankly in scared

petrifyus
06-09-2003, 09:58 AM
you know what? i agree completely with everything you said, which is weird because i dont usually agree with negative comments on FFs. I was very dissapointed with FFX and i hope square dont become so succesful that their games loose the quality they once had.

SuperPac
06-10-2003, 02:53 AM
Simply put, this is the worst FF game in the series. XII better be good, otherwise I'm going to lose my trust in Square... that is, until Chrono Break is released (which also better not suck).

0ne VVinged Angel
06-10-2003, 03:54 AM
I have to dissagree, Personally, I thought FFX to be one of the best FFs(below VII, and VI of course) I did hate the mini-games though, WAY too time consuming.

Bahmant zero
06-10-2003, 10:38 AM
i agree that ff10 sucked, i thought it was the worst ff OF ALL TIME, even worse then mystic quest. The characters had no history or background, surname, or even age. every aspect was just crap. i dont see many hate threads about it though, probably because most people here are square worshipers who cant do wrong in there eyes. ff11 better be good or final fantasy wil be dead in my eyes.

MJN SEIFER
06-10-2003, 02:00 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the game was over voice! i mean ok it's more real but RPGS ARE NOT MEANT TO HAVE VOICES!! if you have to use voices make an option to turn it off!!!!

No world map

Yeah that's bad! world map was another Cool tradition!

Kimhari, a big strong warrior, who says very little and is merely recognisable for his fighting and protective skills. So why make him the least useful character in battle in the game? Why?

Kimhari was usefull for me! you probably didn't level him enough!

Maxico
06-10-2003, 05:12 PM
actualy blitzball takes less than ten mins
it just says that but seconds go twice as fast as normal

PhoenixAsh
06-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Maybe, but then add on loading times, setup before game and at half time, and the clock stopping every few seconds.

I'm quite surprised actually. If a thread knocking VII, VIII, or even IX (which I rank worse than X) is made people flock to defend it, resulting in banning for flame wars.

Sephex
06-11-2003, 05:55 AM
I liked FFX...not to the extent of the other ones I liked. This review made me laugh my ass off though.

SuperPac
06-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Hey, I never said I disliked the game, I just think it's the worst of the bunch. There hasn't been an FF game I haven't like, although I haven't played Mystic Quest. But I will say this; I won't defend the game, because I don't think there's much to defend.

VII and IX, on the other hand (VIII I won't defend either. It's good, but not much)...

Mo-Nercy
06-11-2003, 08:31 AM
That review made me laugh too. I agree with it, but FFX isn't the worst. FFIX ranks the lowest for me (but's it's still good)

I'd defend every FF if it was getting dissed. I'd threaten to kill if it were FFVIII (I got banned from that forum, lol)

Psychotic
06-11-2003, 06:23 PM
I agree with Phoenix17 but you missed Kimahri not saying anything most of the time. It's not because he was dedicated or had issues or something, it's sloppy design.

Cyan_Lightning
06-11-2003, 11:39 PM
I also have to agree. The disturbing thing about FFX, was that the parts of the game that had been recycled from prior FFs, worked far better than the innovations did.

Example: the voice acting. I found out after watching the infamous laughing scene in Luca, that, sometimes, it was far better to imagine what a character sounds like, instead of actually having to listen.

It also was far too linear, quickly degenerating into a - travel down path fighting enemies as you go/fend off Seymour/enter Cloister of Trials/obtain aeon/continue to Zanarkand - cycle.

For me, the game went downhill from the moment they first killed off Seymour. And yes, I'm one of those rare people that did like Seymour. He was twisted, disturbed and wanted to kill Yuna - thus my clear favourite.

SirenGriever
06-14-2003, 06:16 PM
For me, the game went downhill from the moment they first killed off Seymour. And yes, I'm one of those rare people that did like Seymour. He was twisted, disturbed and wanted to kill Yuna - thus my clear favourite.

Yeah, I also liked Seymour but SquareSoft totally ruined his character by killing him off after your first battle with him, after that Seymor just wasn't the same character demented, evil, sinister, misunderstood character that he used to be.
I'd also have to agree on Lulu not having a big part after half of the game, which really sucked for me, because Lulu was one of the best characters in the game (my opinion).
I thought Blitzball was the most idiotic game the FF series has ever thought of. And was it just me or was the Cloister of Trials too easy, espically at Zanarkand. Where they just running out of ideas???
The thing that was most annoying for me however, where those voiceovers! I can't stand Yuna talking with her broken up sentences...*sigh*. Anyway...I downloaded the ending in japanese and I HAVE to say that they had better choices for their voiceovers. It just made more sense to me...so...there's my two cents...sorry didn't mean to ramble...:D :p

It's like somethin' outta the Twilight Zone...It's like...Twilight Zoney...:eek: :whoa: :whoa:

:love: :love: I love to ramble!!!:love: :love:

muchacho
06-14-2003, 06:29 PM
i thought tidus looked like meg ryan. thats something that really disapointed me.... controlling meg ryan to save the world.

Phoenix729
06-15-2003, 09:21 PM
I agree, ffx is far too linear to be a proper ff. there should be was of exploring new areas before your supposed too like the other ffs, but no! no map, no atb (trademark ff) and no way of acheiving good stuff without fecking years of hard slog and fight after annoying fight.

though the graphics are good, square obviously thought
"hmm we have these great graphics no what can we do with them? i know! lets put loads and loads of blurring in. On every boss fight and important sceen in the game"

yeah, great plan square, real great. theres nothing worse then blurring every sceen so you cant see whats going on. Great!

there is a great way of avoiding the annoying speach though - handily, your tv is equipped with a mute button and pressing this eliminates tidus' squeeky wailings. it can then be replaced with some soothing music of your own choice making the game infinitely more tollerable!

even the par ff9 scoops piles of steaming turd on this travesty of an ff. a real shame as well as the graphics could have been put to a real good use.

PhoenixAsh
06-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Okay, the Phoenix I can stand, the 7 in the number I can stand, the using the same avatar I can stand. But how am I supposed to get mad at you if you're going to agree with me???? Goddamn you and your non-arguementative ways!!!!

muchacho marc quote:

i thought tidus looked like meg ryan. thats something that really disapointed me.... controlling meg ryan to save the world.

That's just.... great. Really just nothing else to describe it.

Furumuun
06-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, well, I read through this, and I must agree.
FFX was only the second FF game I'd tried so I was totally happy about it and loved it and stuff >_>
But I definetely see your points. I have high hopes for FFXII too *cheers on Square* get your butts working >_>

Radical Wray!
06-19-2003, 07:13 AM
If you have fun playing a game, isn’t that all that matter's? If you compare games with obviously better ones, your just going to end up hating the game more than it deserves.

Phoenix729
06-19-2003, 10:13 AM
Sorry about using your avatar and all 14 but its the only good phoenix one there (other then the one thats actually a condor).
The point is Radical Wray!, is that very little fun as had playing through x. My friend bought the game (thank god i didnt) and we played through it together. That is the only reason we were able to continue through the game is that we could make silly coments through the LOOOONG boring talking "important" story scenes.
The only good minigame is blitzball and what do they do? take it away half way through the game! unbelievable

Phoenix729
06-19-2003, 10:17 AM
sorry, 17

PhoenixAsh
06-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Actually Radical Wray my point wasn't to compare the games. I liked X better than IX, and I actually liked IX to a degree.
My point was that in no way could some elements of X have been designed to entertain. There's just NO LOGICAL WAY!!!

Phoenix729 don't worry bout it. I've had these settings for too long now, if it gets confusing for other people I'll just change my avatar or something.